[WIP] Renaissance Compilation (artworks remake)

Proot

Are those hexagonal clouds around Jool's pole? Nice touch! Something I've always wanted in a texture pack.

Also, and this is just my opinion, but I think Eve would probably be the best place for a prominent ring system in the Kerbol system. Jool already has an extensive moon system going for it, and a ring around Eve would look very striking.

Would it be possible to remove/add rings to planets? I would rather not have rings around any planet that doesn't, and I would like to add them around PlanetFactory's Sentar. Would this be possible?

My guess is yes. Because they are most likely using Visual Enhancements to make the rings. You can use the "cloud" editor to move them or add them to other planets. The only problem is that I don't think you can remove PlanetFactorys rings. :)

Please, wait for final results. I'm improving size and compression for every texture, sound and so on...

About the rings. I managed to they seem solid, now have bump too. Little points to consider:

- Jool is a great candidate (gas giant), but have a lot of moons and protagonism by itself and more yet with Laythe orbiting it. But precisely the possibility to see Jool's rings, from Laythe, is an great extra.

- Eve is another great candidate, by size and characteristics, but maybe it's too inside the system to have the rings.

- Eeloo fits prefectly with rings, by aspect and place, but maybe is a bit small for rings. His gravity is very low.

- Dres looks very nice with rings, but maybe is too small and too rocky for rings. His gravity is even lower than Eeloo.

Other candidates: Tylo, Vall.

Now we know no only Saturn have rings in the solar system. So maybe rings in more than one planet is a possibility too.

Maybe a few rings for Jool, and more dense ring system for Eeloo (or vice versa) is a better option?

I don't know. I wish know more astrophysics for a better choice...

Please help! :D

Jool would be the only planet large enough to support a stable ring system, Eeloo and Dres, although it may look nice, have no where near the size or gravity to support a dense ring system, let alone a ring system at all... If you want to go for realism, Jool is your most viable candidate.

Yeah, I'd think Jool would be the most viable. Though I could see Dres having a small accretion disk because of it's location in the asteroid belt. I couldn't see Eeloo with rings though, too small and too far away.

A Dres belt would probably be thin, and dark. It actually would more resemble a cloud than belt, as most of the debris would be from collisions instead of gravity capture.

A Jool ring would be VERY bright, because of the obviously large amounts of water in the Jool System(eg Laythe and Vall). I would imagine it would be bright white, possibly tinged dark-greenish by the same compounds coloring Jool's atmosphere.

Keep in mind, Saturn has a lot of planets, Titan(Laythe's RL analogue) included. Some bright, striking rings would be perfect for Jool. I could see Eve with rings, possibly because it had a large moon inside the Roche Limit, or was struck recently by a large planetoid, much like ancient Earth. Of course, by recently, I mean a few hundred million years ago...

I wouldn't give any moons rings though. A ring around a moon would be inherently unstable. It might last a few millenia, but I couldn't see long term rings around any moon. The amount of tidal forces moons recieve means that any orbit over a moon is unstable, and will eventually end with either crashing into the moon, escaping the system entirely, or crashing into the parent planet.

And yeah, I was asking about extra RAM added by this mod, since I run Real Solar System and a bunch of part mods, and I was hoping I could run this, but even if I can't, I would love to see this released.

This looks very, very pretty, and I look forward to it.

PS: I might have been wrong about Eeloo. It could possibly have a small ring system consisting of low albedo particles.

source: http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0608036

PSS: If you need any help or nerd math, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best as an aerospace/computer science double major...

Edited by GamerGaius
SCIENCE!, and correction of Hill Sphere to Roche Limit.

Great feedback! many thanks! I know a bit about the rings in dwarf planets (relatively recent info), but I'm a simple hobbyist in astrophysics and surely a completely ignorant in math (my knowledge is often too intuitive).

So in terms of realism, this might be the final decision (if no one adds more info):

1º Jool with several bright rings (saturn style)

2º Eve with a few thick rings caused by a planetoid (young earth style) [pending - must try first]

3º Dres with a few close, small and dark rings.

Please, note that probably the detail texture for the rings will be the same for all bodies, in order to save ram (more different textures, more memory size).

And by the way... any information about realist speed for cloud's rotation (in Kerbin, Duna, Eve, Jool and Laythe) and how put that on numbers for VE: C&CL will be very appreciated.

To end for now a few pics more...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And a little achievement that I was searching for... [WIP]

qw4vW8a.png

Did you see that? :cool:

Eve is between Moho and Kerbin.

I meant in terms of size. It's more than twice as massive as Kerbin. While this is less than the ratio for the smallest gas planet in the Solar System (Uranus which has 14.5 times the mass of Earth), it's considerably larger than any rocky planets we know of (after adjusting for the Kerbol system scale factor). Also, as Gilly is most likely a captured asteroid, this would imply there might be a region of debris near Eve; if so, it's quite conceivable that it could have collected much of it and built it into a ring.

Also, as Gilly is most likely a captured asteroid, this would imply there might be a region of debris near Eve; if so, it's quite conceivable that it could have collected much of it and built it into a ring.

Drawing analogues from our system: Eve may be too close to the Sun for a moon or even a debris disc to form, but exoplanets have been found that are gas giants orbiting less that 0.5 AU from their stars, when it was previously thought no such planets could form there. I suppose a thin disc because of recent collisions wouldn't be too jarring- after all, Gilly likely isn't around Eve to stay, either.

Also, it has to be said some more: Proot, you are a magician! :D

Well if Proot is going for realism... That isn't very realistic lol. The real asteroid belt is so sparse that even if you were standing on let's say Ceres for instance. The closest asteroid you'd see would be a moving dot like satellites in our sky.. if that. Only in movies and planetary rings ( only Saturn really ) have those dense fields. If that were the case and our asteroid belt was that thick then yes it'd be visible as a gray line in our sky.

Edited by Motokid600

I'm looking for ways to make a non-physical asteroids belt a bit beyond of Eeloo, right now...

I wish I could get that the detail of the texture (not the main texture that wraps the objects) would produce collisions if a ship passes through. It is theorically possible, creating a cloud layer which contain the bug that make it colisionables. But I don't know if the bug can be reduced to act only when it comes to the detail texture of the asteroid belt/ring...

If it's possible, I wish this could be implemented by Rbray89 in his mod, but ey, VE:C&CL is his mod and is great!. I'm only trying to make it look a bit more fancy.

I wouldn't give any moons rings though. A ring around a moon would be inherently unstable. It might last a few millenia, but I couldn't see long term rings around any moon. The amount of tidal forces moons recieve means that any orbit over a moon is unstable, and will eventually end with either crashing into the moon, escaping the system entirely, or crashing into the parent planet.

Just because a ring system is unstable doesn't mean it can't remain in place if there's something to renew it, e.g. volcanic activity. For example, Saturn's moon Rhea might have a ring system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.