StarTrans, A KSP Virtual Airline?

NASAFanboy

I'm unsure where to put this, but...

Me and several KSP friends from my school have got a new idea. Why not start up the first KSP virtual airline? The airline would consist of pilots who would land cargo and passengers at destinations throughout the Kerbal system, and along the way, receive promotions and, when multiplayer is implemented, receive science/money which would be reinvested into more planes/airports (Using the city mod). With higher rank, you would fly longer routes and later craft.

For example, a Second Officer would fly routes carrying cargo to the Island Airport near KSC while a Senior Captian would fly spaceplanes and supplies to a Duna base.

The airline would work like this.

There would be a "Roster" of jobs that would need to be completed that would be hosted on a thread. The "roster" would be updated daily. A pilot would select a job from the roster and post on the thread their intention to do it. After their claim is received, their username is written beside the flight title. The pilot would then fly the job (And deliver any needed cargo) submit a few screenshots, then receive points which can be used for promotions/upgraded craft. The airline would also hire craft builders from the Spacecraft Exchange to design planes for use for the airline.

Such an airline ferry service could go into full swing once multiplayer is implemented, and deliver supplies and crew to bases while the player is away supervising a Eeloo mission.

The airline could also establish bases on other celestial bodies.

So, any feedback from the KSP community?

I'm interested

NOTE TO MODS:

This is not Roleplay, for the following reasons.

1. Events occur in-game

2. The airline will not interact with non-airline industries

Well. I'm up for it! Although, we could do it right now using KMP.

I have one doubt, will this be very useful in a non-massive multiplayer?

Outside of Multiplayer, StarTran will establish bases through repeated flights.

I'm also aiming for the engineering division inside StarTran to set up shop in the SE. But with the den team starting to take multiplayer seriously and even working on some code for it, soon there will be a plethora of jobs for StarTran to handle.

I've written up a prototype rank structure.

The starting rank for Pilot is Second Officer. The structure goes like this.

Second Officer (0-140 Points) - First Officer (140-250 Points) - Captain (250-500 Points) - Senior Captain (500-800 Points) - Command Captain (800-1200 Points) - Fleet Captain (1200+ Points)

The route organization structure will go like this.

Second Officer/First Officer: (Continental Routes Ex: Island Airport)

Captain: (Intercontinental/Upper Atmospherical Routes/Rides Ex: KSC 2, 60,000m Joyrides)

Senior Captain: (Orbital Routes/Rides. Ex: To LKO Stations/Spaceflight for Kerbal Tourists)

Command Captain: (Interplanetary Routes. Ex: Duna bases, Laythe)

Fleet Captain: (Extreme Routes. Ex: Moho, Eeloo, Carrying Scientists Far Out Past Eeloo)

Modded craft will be allowed, and there will be a special jobs section for modded routes.

This does seem fun. Would it use KMP until Squad implements stock multiplayer?

For now, we will have multiplayer and single player operations.

I'm figuring out the kinks of KMP once I get home. And yes, the day Squad implements multiplayer will be a happy day for StarTran

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.