What are you doing in KSP right now?

Clockwork13

Currently flying my first manned mission to Duna. It set of last night and I'll arrive at Duna tonight.

I launched and assembled the vehicle in orbing then time accelerated 100+ days to the launch window. Annoyingly, my Munar science space station generated enough points to unlock nuclear engines during that time. Oh well, I’ll just assume nukes aren’t safe enough to use for manned missions yet, so my first nuke mission will be a probe to Moho.

My previous game in 1.1 was Career, but it was getting seriously tedious repeating the same make-work rescue and multi-point science missions over and over. In 1.2 I went for a Science Mode game and it’s vastly more enjoyable. I’m making it a bit more challenging by ignoring Minmus. If I was doing it again I’d probably also reduce the Science Rewards rate to maybe 50%, otherwise science labs on time acceleration while you’re zipping through to launch windows make it too easy. I like the idea of science labs, but at 100% science rate they take away a bit too much of the challenge.

Simon Hibbs

Edited by simonh

• 1 month later...

I've spent the majority of the day testing launch vehicles for 6.4x scale Kerbin. I've also realized that I probably have far too many variants of some types. For example, the Sonnah I launch vehicles (see in spoiler for details):

Spoiler

The Sonnah I series are suffixed by three numbers. The first number is the number of radial liquid first stages (they are technically boosters but the core is only ignited once they burn out, so they are considered a separate stage). The second number is the number of first stage SRBs. The third number is the number of upper stages. All Sonnah I vehicles have a Serran I upper stage. There are also Sonnah IB versions of each, which have a Serran IB upper stage (so the total number of possible configurations is twice what is shown below). The Sonnah II series will follow a similar convention, but will probably have even more possible variants.

Sonnah I 201

Sonnah I 221

Sonnah I 241

Sonnah I 261

Sonnah I 281

Sonnah I 301

Sonnah I 331

Sonnah I 361

Sonnah I 401

Sonnah I 402

Sonnah I 421

Sonnah I 422

Sonnah I 441

Sonnah I 442

Sonnah I 501

Sonnah I 502

Sonnah I 601

Sonnah I 602

I'm still in the process of testing these right now.

Currently gearing up for a Jool 5 attempt. The idea is to reuse the same lander after shedding the extra stages for the Tylo landing, so I'm currently trying to devise a set of detachable SSTO wings that can connect to my lander with a docking port. So far I've gotten it flying reasonably enough, but I just can't get it to orbit yet. I'm actually surprised how structurally sound it is considering the whole wing and jet assembly is all held on with a single clamp-o-tron jr.

Working on my Nth career (can't remember how many times I've done this, but this time I started when 1.2 came out). I've acquired most of the "300 level" technology and upgraded most of KSC to maximum (haven't bothered with the runway or space plane hanger or administration). All of that was done with a lot of landings on Mun and Minmus, a bunch of satellite contracts, a couple of stations, and a 9-Kerbal outpost on Minmus. I'm waiting for the launch windows for Duna and Eve to come up, and I've got several probes in deep space that need orbit changes, to fulfill their contracts. I love the contracts to build satellites, and yesterday managed to fulfill two satellite contracts (one for Minmus and one for the Mun) with the same satellite, just relocated it to the Mun after the first contact was done at Minmus.

Considering potential crewed exploration methods for 6.4x scale New Horizons. Rockets generally have an awful payload mass ratio because of the 6500m/s to reach even the lowest possible Kerbin orbit. For the Saturn V payload capacity (140 tonnes) I need a rocket that is physically a lot larger than the real Saturn V. This is probably going to mean that single-launch x-orbit-rendezvous missions will not be easily achievable in the early game, because the launch vehicles required will simply be too large. I'll probably end up having to use a Nova-style launch vehicle for an Apollo-style Mun mission (a Mun mission in New Horizons takes almost exactly the same amount of delta-v as it does in stock despite the changes to the planetary layout, so the same vehicle can be used for either). Interplanetary missions will be even more difficult, and will probably involve several launches to Kerbin orbit for assembling a crewed interplanetary transport. I haven't even got New Horizons itself yet because it's not updated, but already I'm enjoying this immensely.

I'm 30 hours into my latest Community Tech Tree, Near Futures Technology, Dmagic Science, Scansat, Outer Planet Mod career.  Have my first probes to Moho and Duna out for that sweet, sweet science and have my MPL set up for all the Scientists I've rescued around Minmus (next stop the Mun).  Next task is assembling my Minmus mining operation, and after that, start the orbital assembly of my Kerballed Eve orbital mission (just need to unlock the 2.5m docking port, NF constructions square docking port, and the 2.5m Cryogenic tanks and I am all set).

I've been carrying over my SPACE-X inspired reusable interplanetary insertion stage design from my previous playthrough.  Interplanetary on a budget has never been easier if you get to reuse those nuke engines every 40 days or so after a top up from the minmus refueling operation.  

I've....actually been somewhat distracted over the last couple of days by modded Minecraft, something I haven't played seriously in over half a year. I'm reaching a balance point again though. My long-term KSP career will return tomorrow.

And also, on another note, I've remembered something very old that I once tried to build.

Astarael has always been the name I've used for what, at the time of construction, has been my most ambitious project. The name comes from the Old Kingdom novels by Garth Nix, and I chose it because it is reasonably divine and sounds good for a spacecraft name.

Astarael I was a partial success. It completed my first mission to Duna and back. It was supposed to be reused for subsequent missions, but the game updated whilst a key mod unfortunately did not.

12697110_147254185658089_898874138640144

Astarael II was supposed to complete a grand tour of the extended Kerbol system, an enormous expansion to the stock planetary layout created by the addition of the Outer Planets mod and Xen's Planet Collection. It should have worked, but time was not on my side in real life, and in any case the system had a couple of fundamental flaws that I unearthed in late-stage testing.

evDLigF.jpg

I know not what Astarael III will be, but I think it is likely that I will create it rather soon...

[The end-game class of interplanetary transports used in my long-term career will also be labelled Astarael-class, but that is a separate project.]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.