Explain Science Like I am 5 Please.

So far I am able to open a good portion of the tree. Enough that I am able to get to the moon. But when I return I only had like 30 science. My goo containers break now? I can no longer get any points for eva reports beyond the very first eva? How do I know where the "bioms" are? So far I am launching capsules to different parts of the globe but only recover 1.5 to 3 points per landing? I can get anyplace in the system and land on just about any body but this career thing is kicking my butt. I do'nt know what to do next after each mission I dont have any direction to go. I just shoot rockets in different directions with no structure. When I use the goo containers I then reset them. is this erasing the last collection? I ahve hit a wall and finding it hard to come up with the 90 or so points I need for my next open.

edit forgot to ad that I look at the science page and it shows what I have done. Are the little bars that fill up mean that I can still do it again if it is not full?

Here's how to do Science!

1) Right-click on your command capsule, Kerbal or science equipment to get a reading.

2) Mystery-Goo containers and Science-Jrs only work once, so you may want to pack many of them.

3) Every biome you pass through will give you more science, if you have enough scientific equipment to do so.

4) If you take several readings with the same instrument on the same biome, the additional readings are worthless scientifically.

5) Transmit your science readings if you will eventually jettison your science instruments or if you are visiting several biomes. Keep your science readings when you visit your last biome, when you gather the most scientific data and/or if you can keep your science instruments when you land.

6) Resetting your Mystery Goo clears the science it has taken. You must keep or transmit your data to get science from your Goo. This is also true with crew reports and reports from other scientific instruments.

Hope this helps.

Science has a steep yet short learning curve.

See here http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Science for the particulars on how many times you can "do" science with each type of experiment and in which location and what their base points are, etc...

If you want the cheat sheet for the biomes, search google images for "Minmus Biomes", that will show you a map of the Biomes on Minmus :)

Now, in a recent mission, I came back with 1748 science, on a trip to Minmus.

What I did is create a lander with lots of science pods on it: Example at the end of this post

Then I chose Minmus because of its MANY biomes and low gravity which means it would be easy to jump around and land in each biome and do the following science ONCE PER SCIENCE DEVICE in each biome (unless you have the science lab, but that comes later).

1. Do a crew report (Transmit as this is a no loss science)

2. Do an EVA report (Transmit as this is a no loss science)

3. Get a surface Sample (KEEP!!! its 140'ish science each time)

4. Do a Science Jr. experiment (KEEP, once its used, go to the next biome and use a new science jr, you should have more than 1)

5. Do a Goo experiment (KEEP, once its used, go to the next biome and use a new goo, you should have more than 1)

6. etc... (if more science devices, continue the list)

MOST IMPORTANTLY - If you want to get full science points, bring your ship (or experiment results) back to Kerbin and dont transmit any science that has a percentage less than %100. By the way, when you're landing back on Kerbin, how about doing temperature and barometer, and EVA report, and surface sample (yes, even if you land in the water, do a surface sample), and a science jr, and a goo. All that adds to yet more science and each time you land back on Kerbin, if you have any left over science jr or goo, you can do it. Granted, if you land in the same biome, there are diminishing returns.

Its very possible to just about (or maybe actually) fill the science tree without going outside Kerbin-Mun-Minmus... I say just about, because I've not done it, I went to other planets.

Anyways, I'm not sure if this explains it like you are 5 because I think you know more than you think you do. You just didn't have the particulars.

Hope this helps

Zach

Note: As you can see in my picture, I had 6 Science Jr.'s, 1 for each biome I was going to land in on Minmus, I brought the entire craft back to Kerbin. I only made it to 4 biomes due to fuel issues. Only 1 was wasted because when I landed back on Kerbin, I used a Goo and a Science Jr.... why not right? Yes, there are 8 goo containers... symmetry

NjBHa02.jpg

Edited by zhollett
correction

My goo containers break now?

Either add more parachutes so the experiments survive, or EVA and move the science into the capsule.

Surface samples and Science Jr. reports from Mun or Minmus are a big chunk of science each. Land in different places to get more, but remember that you can only use a Science Jr. or Goo Canister once per mission. Resetting it erases it, so you don't get the science points. Take multiple if you're planning to make more than one stop.

5) Transmit your science readings if you will eventually jettison your science instruments or if you are visiting several biomes. Keep your science readings when you visit your last biome, when you gather the most scientific data and/or if you can keep your science instruments when you land.

If it's a manned mission, transmitting anything but crew/eva reports is almost always a bad idea, unless you are stranded and unable to make it back to Kerbin. Now that you can move science around on EVA in 0.23, just take it out of your experiments and store it all in the capsule before you jettison them, so you can get 100% value for everything.

"dont transmit any science that has a percentage less than %100"

"transmitting anything but crew/eva reports is almost always a bad idea"

I disagree with the above, they need to add the caveat for non-repeatable science.

1 surface sample does not max out the possible science. You can take 3 or so samples and still get science (with large decreases each time). Likewise, seismic readings to not max out after 1 return.

The bar will show if it is maxed out after 1 retreival (as in EVA reports, crew reports, temperature readings).

I always (assuming I have spare power/power generation capabilities) take a surface sample, transmit it, and then take another sample. This gets you a bit more science than just returning it (I'm pretty sure the sum of the transmitted+ return is greater than the return alone).

For every repeatable science experiment, I transmit it, then run it again and store the data.

That gets you more science per flight, you don't need to worry about transmitting if your next landing hop is looking bad (ie you can focus on avoiding an impact, rather than minimizing your science losses from impacting) and your next ship that will use tech unlocked by the science can be launched sooner (a hohman transfer from minmus takes what... 2 days?).

If its 100% transmit value, transmit it, and you're done

If its repeatable, transmit it, then repeat and physically return the data.

If its non repeatable, return it.

1) Right-click on your command capsule, Kerbal or science equipment to get a reading.

2) Mystery-Goo containers and Science-Jrs only work once, so you may want to pack many of them.

3) Every biome you pass through will give you more science, if you have enough scientific equipment to do so.

4) If you take several readings with the same instrument on the same biome, the additional readings are worthless scientifically.

6) Resetting your Mystery Goo clears the science it has taken. You must keep or transmit your data to get science from your Goo. This is also true with crew reports and reports from other scientific instruments.

Hope this helps.

One correction on 5.

Go EVA and your Kerbal can collect the science in an instrument and store it back in the capsule. Doing this is better than transmitting and will allow some instruments to take more data. But you can only keep more data from the same instrument if the data was taken from different bioms.

Also if you send up the science lab you can use that to make transmitting the data better and to refresh the non repeatable instruments so they can be used again.

As for finding bioms... take crew reports... as you fly over the crew report will tell you which biom you were over when it was taken.

Yes, the above seems right. I found out the hard way about resetting the sample containers (a simple warning that the data will be lost if reset would be nice). Actually I was half way through the tech tree when I figured that out, since I had taken so many units with me. I made the mistake also of assigning action groups to science units; you should do each experiment individually, at different locations. Also, there are times when you return your Kerbal from EVA to the craft, that you will only be given the option of dropping the samples/ data to go inside or to cancel going inside, because it cannot hold more samples or data; thus leaving your Kerbal outside with no way to get the data home.

Science is set up so that you get ever diminishing marginal returns, unless you do not reuse a unit and unless you are at a place (biome, planet, moon, etc.) that you have not ever been before.

Yes, the above seems right. I found out the hard way about resetting the sample containers (a simple warning that the data will be lost if reset would be nice). Actually I was half way through the tech tree when I figured that out, since I had taken so many units with me. I made the mistake also of assigning action groups to science units; you should do each experiment individually, at different locations. Also, there are times when you return your Kerbal from EVA to the craft, that you will only be given the option of dropping the samples/ data to go inside or to cancel going inside, because it cannot hold more samples or data; thus leaving your Kerbal outside with no way to get the data home.

Science is set up so that you get ever diminishing marginal returns, unless you do not reuse a unit and unless you are at a place (biome, planet, moon, etc.) that you have not ever been before.

This is where the labs come into play. They will reset the experiments on the fly, and you can store duplicate experiments in them. Using something like this allows you to completely drain a biome in one go:

sEKN6yk.png

Oh, one more thing. After you expose your goo/materials while on EVA you can right-click on them and remove the results and then store the results. Same with the instruments readings. Then clean them with the lab. I hit 4 different biomes on Minmus before return. Massive science! :)

Edited by ArmchairGravy

When I use the goo containers I then reset them. is this erasing the last collection?

Definition of reset (vt)

re·set

[ ree sét ]

1.set something again: to set something again

2.put something back to zero: to change the reading of a dial or counter to zero or a different number

Basically meaning that you set the data back to zero.

Yes, when you reset experiments you are resetting them. Good to point out though. There is some layer of warnings when trying to take new readings. Hopefully they will implement some sort of "resetting this will lose the data" message with a "don't show me this again." It would get very annoying when in high orbit trying to nail those little biomes to repeatedly warn me about dumping data.

Each experiment has locations where it can be done. Some can only be done in atmosphere, some on the ground. When you're storing those experiments in the capsules, you can only store one unique experiment at a time. So you can't store two Mystery Goo samples that were obtained in high orbit around Kerbin (nor do you need to). If you try to enter with an experiment that is already in the capsule (or your EVA kerbal is carrying two), it will tell you it can't hold any more samples. This doesn't mean your science is gone, it means you already have it stored.

Oh, one more thing. After you expose your goo/materials while on EVA you can right-click on them and remove the results and then store the results. Same with the instruments readings. Then clean them with the lab. I hit 4 different biomes on Minmus before return. Massive science! :)

Just to clarify, only Goo and Science Jr need to be scrubbed. Other science experiments can be reused after collection or transmission.

So far I am able to open a good portion of the tree. Enough that I am able to get to the moon. But when I return I only had like 30 science. My goo containers break now? I can no longer get any points for eva reports beyond the very first eva? How do I know where the "bioms" are? So far I am launching capsules to different parts of the globe but only recover 1.5 to 3 points per landing? I can get anyplace in the system and land on just about any body but this career thing is kicking my butt. I do'nt know what to do next after each mission I dont have any direction to go. I just shoot rockets in different directions with no structure. When I use the goo containers I then reset them. is this erasing the last collection? I ahve hit a wall and finding it hard to come up with the 90 or so points I need for my next open.

edit forgot to ad that I look at the science page and it shows what I have done. Are the little bars that fill up mean that I can still do it again if it is not full?

As Dispatcher pointed out, repeating science experiments under the same conditions gives you nearly zero science, assuming you've already returned the experiment to Kerbin via EVA or returning the device. Goo containers and Science Jr containers can only be used once. You can reset them as many times as you like, but once you collect on EVA or transmit, they are done. Also realize that if you take them to the Mun, do the science, transmit, then return them you will only receive the science for transmitting. And any science that you transmit during the trip will not be reflected in the end of flight summary. Transmitting science does not prevent you from performing a subsequent mission to collect and return it later.

EVA & Crew reports: You can only store 1 of each. Transmit it before you take another report. EVA and crew reports get 100% science when transmitting. Make sure you have sufficient battery power and recharge ability.

Goo containers and Science Jr: If you do the experiment then reset, your last experiment is gone. If you do an experiment and collect on EVA or transmit the data, the device is no longer usable for that trip unless you clean it with a lab.

You can look at this thread to see my short discussion of how transmission impacts science.

Have a look at the wiki KSP science page that someone linked to above. If you're like me, it didn't make any sense the first time I read through it. Focus on the "Possible activities in different locations" matrix. It shows where you can do each experiment so you aren't bringing the wrong equipment for your mission.

Then look at the "Celestial body multipliers" matrix. On this one, don't worry about all the multipliers. But on the last column it shows you what the altitude is to be considered "low orbit." This is useful to keep from repeating the same experiment in the same location. Now you can plan your orbits and such to reach for and obtain science.

As for only recovering 1.5 or 3 points per landing, you are probably repeating experiments in the same biomes (if you're doing them at all). Someone earlier posted the biome maps. Once you can mentally map those onto the surfaces in-game, your science will greatly increase. Different biomes at different altitudes (low/high atmosphere, low/high orbit) can net you more science.

And finally, if you've lost total track of what science you have done up to this point, go to the "Research and Development Center" and click the yellow "Science Archives" button. You can select and filter down to each type of experiment, situation, planet/moon, or whatever.

Edited by Claw

People offer advice for cleaning out biomes on the Mun and Minmus but that's only one way to play. Once you can manage those two, a slightly bigger rocket will probably manage a Duna flyby. And the science from there will get you a Duna landing. And a Duna landing will unlock a large portion of the tree.

Like you are 5?

Take science instruments to interesting places.

Right click them, and if the green bar is 100%, transmit. Else click Keep, and lug the instrument back to home.

Repeat, but mostly once per instrument per place.

never NEVER click "reset".

Junior level:

Instrument + location(biome) + sometimes situation = science.

Get this science by r-click your instrument.

Transmit, or keep the data. Read the prompts, it actually makes sense.

Only click "reset" if you f-ed up.

If you transmit, typically you can sample again, to lesser value. If you keep, you have to return it to home.

You can detect your current biome from orbit, by going EVA and reporting. Or by using a gravioli scanner.

Minmus, Mun and Kerbin have many many many biomes each. Minmus is actually easier to get all than Kerbin, and Mun requires hard work to visit everywhere.

Don't bother with the manned science module. by the time you have the ability to lug it with you, you dont need it anymore.

Gravoili scans net a mountain of science for each of Landed, low orbit, high orbit.

Remember to gravioly the SUN orbit, it is worth a lot!

Advanced level

Many (all?) instruments can have their data extracted by an EVA kerbal. After sampling and keeping your find, go outside and have the kerbal r-click it again. He has option to extract the data.

Some instruments can be reused after this, some can be abandoned.

Kerbal can also store science in the capsule, and extract it for transport.

When an instrument has a non-zero transmit value, and also allows reuse, you can milk it for every drop of science its worth. Science, transmit. Repeat, until the transmit value is zero. Only *then* science and keep it, returning or extracting as suits you.

Science depends on the triplet of Instrument + Biome + Situation. Landed situation is *different* from splashed-down situation! You can land in water, status = splashed down, then swim to shore and dig up a Highland sample.. And it counts seperately from the "landed" highland sample you got earlier.

Aside from Kerbin-Mun-Minmus, pickings are slim. Basically one biome per orbiting body. BUT... Jool has a great many bodies!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.