I fell through Jool

Liowen

I figured I got to Jool that I would see if I could land the Probe on the ground, and after a LONG time I passed through the ground (radar hit 0 and then going into negative numbers).

2lmxu2x.png

Most likely everyone knows this, but this was my first attempt to go to Jool, I was kind of confused by this happening.

This might be the only recorded time someone really made it that far into Jool, you are the first person with evidence to do this.

If the craft did not already explode, did you start going back down once you got to the other side?

Edited by Astronaut

No I got curious if I could throttle up and hover, but of course I should have known better, and at -250m it finally exploded as the chute had broken. Now I am thinking I should have just waited longer to see if it would have actually landed. But more importantly I know have a battle plan for this probe, I just need a few experiments added to it to see what the results are. I just hater the fact that I will lose so much science by transmitting it though.

No I got curious if I could throttle up and hover, but of course I should have known better, and at -250m it finally exploded as the chute had broken. Now I am thinking I should have just waited longer to see if it would have actually landed. But more importantly I know have a battle plan for this probe, I just need a few experiments added to it to see what the results are. I just hater the fact that I will lose so much science by transmitting it though.

Yeah, you used to be able to "land" on Jool (more or less; more like glitch out and bounce everywhere). I can't remember exactly which version got rid of this, but now Jool has a death barrier at -250. Not sure if you can land on that or not, though.

On a side note, I think that the ultimate test to see if you're a master at KSP is to take a ship, fly it to Jool, go as far down as you can right before the death barrier, and fly your ship out of Jool into an orbit. I believe that this is near impossible without mods, but I'm sure that Scott Manley could find a way :P

Well fling into Jool I would suspect it to blow up due to the speed at entry, however if you used chutes to get down low enough it might be ok. I had steam restart on me and I couldn't revert back to VAB so the next logic step was to crash it, or at the very least try to land it. This might deserve a retry in a day or two.

Yeah, you used to be able to "land" on Jool (more or less; more like glitch out and bounce everywhere). I can't remember exactly which version got rid of this, but now Jool has a death barrier at -250. Not sure if you can land on that or not, though.

On a side note, I think that the ultimate test to see if you're a master at KSP is to take a ship, fly it to Jool, go as far down as you can right before the death barrier, and fly your ship out of Jool into an orbit. I believe that this is near impossible without mods, but I'm sure that Scott Manley could find a way :P

Or danny. What would happen if you use the planetary lance from below the surface?

It's actually already been done. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50242-Jool-accent-the-imposible-chalenge/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.