[0.25] Orbit Manipulator Series (Updated March 12 2014)

HoneyFox

What about the Ion Engine message spam bug?

I havent seen you mention that you fixed that..

That cause at least 50% drop of frame rate.. for me.. (with only 2 parts, a command module, an ion engine)

Well, wifh FAR, lower than 30 means your gonna deorbit..

Higher than 30 means your gonna surf into space...

if Stock.. since drag is related to mass.. GG..

Ah, that spamming issue, I remember that I've fixed it some weeks ago and has uploaded to dropbox.

You can redownload the file in OP since dropbox won't change the link after i update a file.

• 1 month later...

Is there a chance the mod could be upgraded into a "difficulty" mod where there is decay above 70km on Kebrin, so that we difficulty lovers need to think about station keeping? =)

This is something I was requesting long time ago

Hmmm..debating whether to install this. Does the n-body implementation make usual flight planning and maneveour nodes useless?

Basically they are still useful to some extent, but you will need several mid-course correction burns for your transfer to either moons or planets.

• 3 weeks later...

I almost did not look into this thread for the title sounded like something like hyperedit/orbit-hacking - how wrong I was!

For me the atmosphere effects while on rails is The feature of this mod!

If you go elsewhere and leave it on-rail, the orbit won't change

Is this a general truth for KSP? If I switch my ship and time warp, I will really slip past infront of a moon while crossing its orbit as planned and not be dragged into its SOI out or nowhere?

Edited by KerbMav

Is this a general truth for KSP? If I switch my ship and time warp, I will really slip past infront of a moon while crossing its orbit as planned and not be dragged into its SOI out or nowhere?

Ship on rails (not controlled or >2.5km from controlled one) will continue its orbit undisturbed if atmosphere is not present or <0.01atm and disapperar (just like that) when atmosphere is >0.01atm. Thus on rails - either going by it's route unaffected or disappears, never strays.

• 2 weeks later...

$@#^%#@$!?!?!?

I installed this earlier this month and it showed up fine in my game in the toolbar in the Tracking Station under 32-bit. Today I noticed it was gone. I removed all the mods I had installed since. I removed everything except Squad, NASAMission, NBody, Toolbar and MM. I deleted and reinstalled NBody. I deleted and reinstalled Toolbar (including the settings file). I deleted and reinstalled the default Squad/NASAMission folders. So I don't know WTF to do now except post a log

Edit: well I still don't know what the hell went wrong, but when I reverted back to the pure stock install and entered the flight scene of a new save, I noticed the toolbar had available buttons for the NBody mod. When I reloaded all my mods and loaded up my original save game the atmo decay button still didn't show up in the Tracking Station nor offer me the option to show any of the buttons. But when I entered the flight scene and opened the visible buttons window in the toolbar all the NBody icons were there. I didn't select any, just closed the window and returned to the Tracking Station and now the atmo decay button is visible again, and I can see all the NBody buttons when I open the Visible Buttons menu on the toolbar.

Okay.

Edited by Gaiiden

good mod, but i have to report a problem. i point the ship prograde, and start the time warp. the ship keep accelerating, but start to slow drift away from prograde

That's because your vessel will point to a static direction in inertia reference frame while it's orbiting the earth, which means the prograde direction keeps changing when orbiting around. You can either quit time-warp and readjust your direction at certain intervals or perhaps you can try a plugin made by someone else that will turn your ship even in time-warp.

I almost did not look into this thread for the title sounded like something like hyperedit/orbit-hacking - how wrong I was!

For me the atmosphere effects while on rails is The feature of this mod!

lol, that title seems to be quite misleading.

SOI change will still happen if the vessel is in the SOI range of the moon. But if your time-warp rate is too high, the simulation's time step is not small enough to catch that very moment when your vessel gets into the SOI of moon, and in this case you will slip past it.

Edited by HoneyFox

$@#^%#@$!?!?!?

I installed this earlier this month and it showed up fine in my game in the toolbar in the Tracking Station under 32-bit. Today I noticed it was gone. I removed all the mods I had installed since. I removed everything except Squad, NASAMission, NBody, Toolbar and MM. I deleted and reinstalled NBody. I deleted and reinstalled Toolbar (including the settings file). I deleted and reinstalled the default Squad/NASAMission folders. So I don't know WTF to do now except post a log

Edit: well I still don't know what the hell went wrong, but when I reverted back to the pure stock install and entered the flight scene of a new save, I noticed the toolbar had available buttons for the NBody mod. When I reloaded all my mods and loaded up my original save game the atmo decay button still didn't show up in the Tracking Station nor offer me the option to show any of the buttons. But when I entered the flight scene and opened the visible buttons window in the toolbar all the NBody icons were there. I didn't select any, just closed the window and returned to the Tracking Station and now the atmo decay button is visible again, and I can see all the NBody buttons when I open the Visible Buttons menu on the toolbar.

Okay.

Ah, that might be because of a small glitch in my code: The OMS plugin system is initialized when you are entering the flight scene, so you might not be able to find the toolbar buttons for it before you get into flight scene for the first time. Once there, you will have the toolbar buttons always.

Edit: these three buttons are only useful in flight scene so I guess the glitch is not that critical.

Edited by HoneyFox

• 2 months later...

This is a very cool plug-in. I like the fact that the N-body calculations only affect the active vessel. Having to maintain the orbits of a dozen communication satellites would be a nightmare, with Mun's orbit being so low compared to the Earth-Moon system. But this system still lets me play around with loopy orbits, and worry about degrading orbits when flying low over the Mun.

That's because your vessel will point to a static direction in inertia reference frame while it's orbiting the earth, which means the prograde direction keeps changing when orbiting around. You can either quit time-warp and readjust your direction at certain intervals or perhaps you can try a plugin made by someone else that will turn your ship even in time-warp.

I believe this might do what you're talking about.

it works with ksp .25 i believe

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67821-Timewarp-Rotation-Fix

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately it seems to have some bugs now. After launching into an elliptical orbit my ship ended up flying at a constant altitude, with the periapsis chasing me around Kerbin whenever I time warped.

Maybe it works better if you install Blizzy's toolbar as well, but I've been trying my hardest not to need it anymore.

Are low-thrust engines still enabled? This mod is essentially required for using any kind of Ion engine in Realism Overhaul.

EDIT: yes they are. There is a bug where the orbit eccentricity vector can precess if you are burning at apoapse, but it doesn't affect angular momentum or energy so it isn't too bad. It doesn't affect common gameplay situations such as spiraling out from low orbit or doing interplanetary burns. I definitely liked using this with the near future pack on RO/RSS.

Edited by nilof

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm still trying to live without it, using TimeControl HyperWarp functionality. As long as part count stays very low, it works. Sometimes problems with SAS PID (about which Squad doesn't seem to care) arise, but often I can burn Xenon at 11-13x.

Still the need of orbital decay, and higher still warp speeds (without thrust vector migrating from node vector preferably).

Upd: Whoa! Just found this. Might solve orbital decay indeed.

Edited by cipherpunks
update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.