Pteron Micro Shuttle and rescue vehicle Beta download available(9/9/2014)

Sage Sagan

Sure, I'll try adding it. I have to say though, Helvetica is what shuttles uses as font, is what KSO uses as font, I wish you would too. :)

By all means try it with Helvetica, also if you wanted to try half of the bat wing with your earlier logo idea that might look cool also.

I am completely open to suggestions on this project,progress has exceeded all my expectations so I am a very happy ideas guy overall.

Shuttles might but ...space x think capsules can go wild..M37tK7S.jpg

Edited by Sage Sagan

By all means try it with Helvetica

Even with the "PTERON"?

You would need translation RCS on side if I would add tiles, It would persist.

Also, do I include F.ruit B.at I.ndustries? or do I separate it?

Does the Kerbal Space Program logo Persist?

Even with the "PTERON"?

You would need translation RCS on side if I would add tiles, It would persist.

Also, do I include F.ruit B.at I.ndustries? or do I separate it?

Does the Kerbal Space Program logo Persist?

the Kerbal Space Program logo persists but 25%-35% smaller.

Fruit bat industries is for the description in the CFG and for advertising materials:), you don't need to include it in any logos on the shuttle.

You are right about the font, it isn't clear enough especially at the size it will be on such a tiny craft. What do you think of the one SpaceX is using in the dragon logo? I'm sure they wont mind

I just wanted to pop in to say I'm unlikely to get the uv-mapping done on this shuttle this weekend, due to my own projects also taking time. But i'll try my best to have it out to you some time this week Blackheart612. It's my understanding that you are going to be doing the texturing on this? I hope I'm not assuming incorrectly. :D

I just wanted to pop in to say I'm unlikely to get the uv-mapping done on this shuttle this weekend, due to my own projects also taking time. But i'll try my best to have it out to you some time this week Blackheart612. It's my understanding that you are going to be doing the texturing on this? I hope I'm not assuming incorrectly. :D

If Blackheart is happy to do it then yes, he is doing the texturing. I think his take on the shuttle so far is stock enough but also has a really clean look that I like.

Completely understand that your own project takes precedence, I am one of the people eagerly awaiting your mod! Whenever you get the uv-map done could you PM Blackheart and I with a link to the file download, including, if possible a 3-D file of shuttle as I want to look in to the possibility of getting a couple of 3-D prints done.

Well, that's too bad I do not know the font. :(

I think there was something similar in MS Word

Play around with a few, As long as Bat wings are involved and the word Pteron then we are on the right track.

I like the rear RCS ports being surrounded by heat tiles, RCS thrust can damage things and heat tiles are tough.

The heat tiling needs to come around the back of the wing onto the top surface of the winglet and drop lower on the leading edge fuselage juction

w5SfpFr.png

So there is a winglet there? I didn't know (or at least I assumed it wasn't part of the whole) :P

The winglets will attach separately from the main lifting-body,I think it will be necessary for control and aerodynamic config to have winglets for yaw control and stability.

The question is, do we separate the wings from the body at line "A" in which case they will have to have lift/stability working in two planes? Or at line "B"? meaning the fuselage and the horizontal wing surfaces are one part and the vertical sections of the wings are 2 attached parts. i think the second approach will be more straightforward.9xafVQH.png

The winglets will attach separately from the main lifting-body,I think it will be necessary for control and aerodynamic config to have winglets for yaw control and stability.

The question is, do we separate the wings from the body at line "A" in which case they will have to have lift/stability working in two planes? Or at line "B"? meaning the fuselage and the horizontal wing surfaces are one part and the vertical sections of the wings are 2 attached parts. i think the second approach will be more straightforward.a>

for whatever my opinion is worth, B. To me, the body / wing ie lifting surface should be one continuous surface.

It is looking very, very good.... looking forward to putting it into service.

Oh, I meant the ailerons XDDD

Oh yes the ailerons, I actually like how the smaller stock control surfaces look with this design. I think they would need to be re-textured in the same gray you are using for the tiles.

Yes that is the Mig-105 spiral, it's such a shame that 40 years after the Spiral flew we are just now getting back to small,re-useable spaceplanes I.R.L

Yup I think that the Wings should be one part with the fuselage and then break at line "B" for the Winglets to attach.

Greetings perspective Pteron purchaser,

As you can see from this R&D thread work on the Pteron is proceeding at a pace. This weekend saw prototype flight tests, which apart from some non-lethal ground interaction incidents were a complete success.

pcIlM7z.jpg

QNXjEfW.jpg

qgmvry7.jpgiajT4TD.jpg

As you can see from the images this is a very early flight and testing prototype. Fruit Bat Industries is awaiting delivery of the final fuselage elements fromhttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69923-Singularity-Research-Initiative-dev-thread Singularity Research Initiative who are the Komposite fabrication contractors on this project. Placement of docking collar and OMS motors is approximately correct for final design.

It has been pointed out that a Sun-roof on an orbital re-entry vehicle may not be optimum from a safety standpoint, the opening roof will be omitted from the final design but may be offered as an after-market extra.

Thanks to LLL aerspace and RLA for providing prototype construction materials.

Edited by Sage Sagan

Knowing what little I do about KSP flight models, I'd say separating the entire wing structure (point A) from the main body would be best. These would provide the lift and COM balancing necessary for it to not fly like a brick in stock KSP atmosphere.

The stabilization section on the side would be seamless, due the nature of the curves present causing huge difficulties when you are trying to snap the parts together and have them line up. I've not yet modeled the flaps, as you have placed on the prototype (love the build btw), but those can either be hand built (By SRI subcontractors lol!) or you can go with stock parts.

Current status is remodeling some sections of the high poly to bring in line closer to the various sketches, and to better incorporate the landing gear mechanics.

Knowing what little I do about KSP flight models, I'd say separating the entire wing structure (point A) from the main body would be best. These would provide the lift and COM balancing necessary for it to not fly like a brick in stock KSP atmosphere.

The stabilization section on the side would be seamless, due the nature of the curves present causing huge difficulties when you are trying to snap the parts together and have them line up. I've not yet modeled the flaps, as you have placed on the prototype (love the build btw), but those can either be hand built (By SRI subcontractors lol!) or you can go with stock parts.

Current status is remodeling some sections of the high poly to bring in line closer to the various sketches, and to better incorporate the landing gear mechanics.

I like the idea of separating at the fuselage line but wont that make the wings hard to config as they will be providing lift and lateral stability?

The skid landing gear works great on the prototype, I wonder if LLL industries would allow the config from their skids to be used on our design.

If you can model custom flaps that would be great, the stock small control surfaces work well but they are a little long front-to-back and could possibly get in the way when docking to complex structures.

Here is an idea of the top view of the ailerons:

https://i.imgur.com/LnEIz2I.png

Here's the side view of the rudders:

https://i.imgur.com/i7TtenL.png

Edit:

https://i.imgur.com/6xKz9Hl.png

So full of awesome Blackheart! Wings are great. I think you were right, the outside of the wings being tiled all the way up looks great and makes sense from a re-entry standpoint as well. The top surface concept is also fine and will look very trim.....

Loving the logo, absolutely outstanding..the bat is cool and the font is spot on. I really like the fact that you haven't tried to make the bat look bad-ass, fruit bats are not by nature famous for being vicious...unless you are a Papaya.

I think the ailerons will have to run straight across from their narrowest point, the idea is to keep the rear as obstruction free as possible to facilitate docking.wGLXpKy.png Or to play on the bat theme a littleq1P3I48.png I think Daemoria might be working on some custom control surfaces

along these lines but if not then I think the stock large control surface re-scaled and re-textured would do the job very well.

Edited by Sage Sagan

I am liking what I see!

A few thoughts: I think that the landing gear could be simplified into something resembling the dreamchaser's front gear, just folding down with a shock absorber and a foot pad for a skid.

I don't think FAR works well with built in wings, they need to be radially attached as a discreet wing piece IIRC. That said, a curving wing might be able to be treated as dihedral if the centre point of it is raised or something.

I like the IVA concept! Will it have a RPM HUD display over the front window like the Mk1 and KSO cockpits?