Pteron Micro Shuttle and rescue vehicle Beta download available(9/9/2014)

Sage Sagan

Edit: specs- I dont really have plans on doing the IVA any time soon. I want to release the lowpoly + uvmaps/baked texture information to the others developing this, and then get back to my own projects. Some time later, I might get to the IVA, if no one else steps up to it. . . but I can't really promise anything at this point.

Righto...

And since the level of detail has become a topic (I.e. The white ID numbers on the heatshielding), I just wanted to counter blackheart's point, and recommend that you keep those little ID numbers. The more detail, the better! And I would rock the pants off of this Micro Shuttle as is!

Yeah, they're aren't white, but they are definitely there, and are part of the normal map:

tumblr_n1zusqUQ8m1tq6149o1_1280.png

If the white bothers you that much, than maybe Daemoria could add them to the normal... Like the KSO, I'd be fine with that.

Edited by specs
Whoops!

I'm just making a high poly mesh. The color is just for breaking up the forms for my own sake.

To any interested, here is what i've got. Got to take a break now, that pesky thing called a 'job' calls.

https://p3d.in/yA1R2+spin

Beware, it's a 45mb large file, so it might take a while to load the viewer.

Edit: it's *only* ~20mb. I guess their site has some sort of mesh compression.

..... Here is a more updated version, but still WIP. The tile patterning is still subject to change.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8424612/KSP/kerbal_pteron_belly.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8424612/KSP/kerbal_pteron.png

Everyone has a different taste. Personally i absolutely like this tile setting. It has a real Kerbal feel to it. I can only hope you will keep this tile exterior in the final shuttle. It reminds me also of a shark skin, which is rougher than sandpaper yet has the least amount of resistance in the water.

White stands out too much for it. :P

Edit: So you would do everything now, Daemoria? :P Even textures

As far as I am concerned you are still doing the texturing Blackheart, Daemoria has thrown out some ideas but he needs to get back to his own project. I really liked your take on the shuttle texture so please do bring that to the final craft and I love the Logo. Also it might be nice to have two liveries, one flat out rescue maybe in black and yellow or something suitably HI-vis and the standard white 'N' black finish.

Re the IVA, I have just sketched the interior and as Daemoria said he wants to get back to his own project after helping so skillfully on this one. I really am keen to keep the IVA as clean as possible so 2 MFDs will be it for now.

So I guess now the call is for someone with IVA experience who is willing to sub-contract for Fruit Bat Industries

AS to the heat tiles, I have been poring over pictures of the Space shuttle and to be honest at the scale of the Pteron the writing on the tiles should be a faint,white squiggle...just a hint of text.

Just had a look at the 3-d model and I am now even more in love with this project than I was before..The Pteron is going to look just perfect atop a 1.5m stack, just great.

Here's a question for the wider forum, internal O.M.S motors or .65 attach nodes on the wing roots either side of where the docking collar will attach?

Edited by Sage Sagan

I have to say, this project is looking beautiful. Keep up the good work guys!

Here's a question for the wider forum, internal O.M.S motors or .65 attach nodes on the wing roots either side of where the docking collar will attach?

On this note, I'm a huge fan of having options. What about making an additional pair of parts to choose from that functioned similarly to the OMS section for the Kliper? One that would be a OMS package with integrated motors/fuel and another that was basically a fuel tank that matched the Pteron design with the aforementioned 0.625 attach points? It may be a bit late in the design phase for this suggestion, however...

I have to say, this project is looking beautiful. Keep up the good work guys!

On this note, I'm a huge fan of having options. What about making an additional pair of parts to choose from that functioned similarly to the OMS section for the Kliper? One that would be a OMS package with integrated motors/fuel and another that was basically a fuel tank that matched the Pteron design with the aforementioned 0.625 attach points? It may be a bit late in the design phase for this suggestion, however...

After some thought I think Talisar has a point, flexibility dictates that attach nodes are the better option. Hoojiwana's RLA pack has plenty of .65m motors in it including several RCS powered ones, it make sense from an ease of fabrication standpoint to use existing commercially available engines.The engineers building the Dreamchaser are not the same engineers who are building the drive motors. On the subject of additional capability modules I keep having this vision as i fall asleep of the Pteron mounted on a winged rear stage that has ram jets to boost The Pteron and a LFO tank with integral boost motor up to about 25000m at which point the Pteron+motor combination detaches from the winged carrier and continues into orbit. Basically The Spiral 50/50 concept only the carrier plane is smaller and a lot dumber than the Spiral 50/50 plane. I think a sketch may be required...run while you still have time.

http://www.buran-energia.com/spiral/spiral-project-desc.php

Edited by Sage Sagan

As far as I am concerned you are still doing the texturing Blackheart, Daemoria has thrown out some ideas but he needs to get back to his own project. I really liked your take on the shuttle texture so please do bring that to the final craft and I love the Logo.

Oops, looks like I forgot that a strawman argument always wins on an internet forum.

*takes deep breath*

Just remember the old: "I don't post on forums for the same reason I don't attempt to french kiss pneumatic drills."*, and everything will be alright.

*Quote from: Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.

Oops, looks like I forgot that a strawman argument always wins on an internet forum.

*takes deep breath*

Just remember the old: "I don't post on forums for the same reason I don't attempt to french kiss pneumatic drills."*, and everything will be alright.

*Quote from: Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.

I think that was a classic case of meaning and intent being lost in text, Daemonia is having fun with this project and that always makes someone creative but he really has a wonderful project of his own on the go.

Blackheart has both the talent and the inclination to slog through the texturing on this project which is wonderful, so I was just re-iterating for the sake of clarity and hoping Blackheart is still up for this.

I think the strawman may in fact prove to be smoke and mirrors to stretch an already tenuous analogy

I think that was a classic case of meaning and intent being lost in text, Daemonia is having fun with this project and that always makes someone creative but he really has a wonderful project of his own on the go.

Blackheart has both the talent and the inclination to slog through the texturing on this project which is wonderful, so I was just re-iterating for the sake of clarity and hoping Blackheart is still up for this.

I think the strawman may in fact prove to be smoke and mirrors to stretch an already tenuous analogy

Yep, this already goes against what I literally just posted, but since you accused me of not knowing about which I speak, this was the strawman I was referring to:

White stands out too much for it. :P

Edit: So you would do everything now, Daemoria? :P Even textures

Clearly, that wasn't my point, but if you (the word "you" being used in a manner that was directed at Blackheart612) want to act like a child... There you go.

Edited by specs
Clarification o' stuff

Yep, this already goes against what I literally just posted, but since you accused me of not knowing about which I speak, this was the strawman I was referring to:

Clearly, that wasn't my point, but if you want to act like a child... There you go.

I'm sorry but I feel like I am missing something here, firstly I only re-used the term strawman in what I hoped was non-confrontational and light hearted way. The intent and meaning to which I was referring were mine.

Secondly I really don't remember accusing anyone of anything and I certainly didn't mean to demean your opinion( although it didn't pertain directly to the addon) or act in a childish way toward anyone.

I hope Blackheart is still keen to do this, but not wanting to speak for anyone else as this is a co-operative project I used "As far as I am concerned" rather than making a definitive statement. As only one of the people involved in

this project I accept that the input and mutual effort involved in this is not mine to order around. I simply do not see any argument on this forum Straw or otherwise

This project is all about input from the community and I welcome that. So lets all get along.

You see, this is what we were both talking about and it resulted in an almost-argument that would have been so recursive in nature that the internet might have exploded.

Edited by Sage Sagan

Maybe something like the OMS of the KSO :D

Did you mean in the shape? They do have an interesting design. I know that realism is already being stretched by some aspects of the design but would long, fairly skinny nozzles be realistic as Mono-propellant motors?

http://www.moog.com/products/thrusters/monopropellant-thrusters/

51lotv7.jpg %

22N thruster

Checking the link it seems that more powerful Mono motors start to have fatter engine bells, I really like the one with gold nozzle.

Edited by Sage Sagan

Clearly, that wasn't my point, but if you (the word "you" being used in a manner that was directed at Blackheart612) want to act like a child... There you go.

Awww, I was just asking because it had textures already and I still don't have the UV :(

Did you mean in the shape? They do have an interesting design. I know that realism is already being stretched by some aspects of the design but would long, fairly skinny nozzles be realistic as Mono-propellant motors?

a> %

22N thruster

Checking the link it seems that more powerful Mono motors start to have fatter engine bells, I really like the one with gold nozzle.

Yep, they looked cool. But still depends on you.

a> %

22N thruster

Wait? They're selling those? Do you think they'd sell them to civilians?

I thought it was the other way around, the wider being better for in-atmosphere. That's why aerospikes work, the ambient air pressure acts as the other half of the nozzle and, as it decreases, it lets the exhaust go wider to maintain efficiency.