Pteron Micro Shuttle and rescue vehicle Beta download available(9/9/2014)

Sage Sagan

I thought it was the other way around, the wider being better for in-atmosphere. That's why aerospikes work, the ambient air pressure acts as the other half of the nozzle and, as it decreases, it lets the exhaust go wider to maintain efficiency.

Oh, you're right, it was just the way that you said it was confusing.

blackheart612: nope, you were correct at the beginning.

wiki

The main point is that when you fire a rocket in atmosphere, atmospheric pressure "pushes back" against the exhaust (this is also why, no matter how atmospheric-optimal your nozzle, it will never be as efficient in atmosphere as it is in vacuum). This means that the nozzle has to have a lower expansion ratio (i.e. less wide exit) than a vacuum-optimized nozzle.

That said, the thing is, it doesn't matter how wide the exit is. What matters is the *ratio* of throat to exit (expansion ratio). The SSME, since it spends most of its burn time at high altitude or in space, has a decently high expansion ratio (though far from the crazy 250:1 of the RL-10B!).

Hi all, away from the PC for the day...damn family:). Blackheart, I was PM ing Daemoria and we were kicking the idea around of just having 2 x0.65m attach nodes in the roots of the wings. There are so many addon engines out there

already I am thinking of Dtobis incredible shuttle engine pack for instance or RLA by Hoojiwana that I'm not sure we need a new engine for this beastie. That being said if Daemoria is doing new engines for his pack and wants to toss one this way I'm sure no-one would object. A pair of those 200lb thrust motors in the link really would look very sexy on the back of the shuttle....

Thoughts please:

1) Let people "roll their own" just leave attach nodes and then people may choose engines from stock or from other packs, this would necessitate adding LFO tanks to the Pteron so as no to limit engine choice to Monoprop only. The original config is for Monoprop R.C.S AND de orbit motors.

2) Fixed motors, this would mean the motors would have to be modeled, would keep part count down but I think it would limit usefulness.

3) 0.65m attach nodes and newly modeled motors probably the most sensible but will mean the most delay.

YOU JUST COMMITTED HERESY! :mad:

heresy is a bit strong, but definitely testing the boundaries of theology:)

And the answer to the original question is :"Absolutely no idea when" but deposit holders will be served first!

Hi all, away from the PC for the day...damn family:). Blackheart, I was PM ing Daemoria and we were kicking the idea around of just having 2 x0.65m attach nodes in the roots of the wings. There are so many addon engines out there

already I am thinking of Dtobis incredible shuttle engine pack for instance or RLA by Hoojiwana that I'm not sure we need a new engine for this beastie. That being said if Daemoria is doing new engines for his pack and wants to toss one this way I'm sure no-one would object. A pair of those 200lb thrust motors in the link really would look very sexy on the back of the shuttle....

Thoughts please:

1) Let people "roll their own" just leave attach nodes and then people may choose engines from stock or from other packs, this would necessitate adding LFO tanks to the Pteron so as no to limit engine choice to Monoprop only. The original config is for Monoprop R.C.S AND de orbit motors.

2) Fixed motors, this would mean the motors would have to be modeled, would keep part count down but I think it would limit usefulness.

3) 0.65m attach nodes and newly modeled motors probably the most sensible but will mean the most delay.

Definitely attach nodes; as you say there are many awesome shuttle motors out there.

For the issue of including fuel, why not have a tweakable that sets the fuel type in the style of Procedural Parts?

Wings are thick as I see it, they should countain fuel. LFO and MonoProp for both Translation and Movement. But it could have an all MonoProp version for MonoProp engines. Still dibs on choice 3. I could throw up a texture on the engine, too. :)

I'm just making a high poly mesh. The color is just for breaking up the forms for my own sake.

To any interested, here is what i've got. Got to take a break now, that pesky thing called a 'job' calls.

https://p3d.in/yA1R2+spin

Beware, it's a 45mb large file, so it might take a while to load the viewer.

Edit: it's *only* ~20mb. I guess their site has some sort of mesh compression.

Very nice! There are some things I don't like about it. First I don't think its necessary to model in the heat shield tiles. Just use a normal map. Also I think it looks a bit too sci-fi to me if you are trying to get Dream Chaser or KSO style. Other than that it looks good so far. :)

Wings are thick as I see it, they should countain fuel. LFO and MonoProp for both Translation and Movement. But it could have an all MonoProp version for MonoProp engines. Still dibs on choice 3. I could throw up a texture on the engine, too. :)

So attach modes, LFO motors from other packs all fine so far. However is it possible to have wings with fuel in them? I haven't seen any. There is no strict need to have fuel in the wings, there are enough crevices in the main fuselage to have a reasonable amount of Mono and LFO in there. The amounts of both we will determine once we have something in game that can be flight tested to find optimum amounts.

The reason why wings don't have fuel in them in KSP is that the weight of the wing determines its lift power. As fuel is drained, it would actually lose lift.

And because I can't post without shiny pictures... here is the uvmapped/low poly mesh. 2k normal+AO texture. 1,106 triangles

lowpoly.png

Ambient occlusion bake + real time normals.

realtime.png

I have to fix some errors before i upload it for texturing, namely the mirrored wing's normals are all sorts of messed up. I'm going to have to put it on the 1,1 uv space...

Edited by Daemoria

Wow that looks great! any chance that the dimensions could fit in a kso shuttle? just wondering.

Yo dawg I heard you like shuttles, so I put a shuttle in your shuttle so you can shuttle while you shuttle.