My add-on got a 1 star rating on the Spaceport. What did I do wrong?

Ayo99

1. It is an engine. Why have you tagged it with:

3D Model, Command & Control, Configuration File, Crafts, Decals, Fuel Tank, Liquid Engine, Propulsion, Space Plane Hangar (SPH), Structural & Aerodynamic, Utility & Scientific, Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB)

I've bolded the only appropriate ones.

2. It is a stock part edit to make things overpowered. These are generally not held in high regard by the community.

3. "Or do find hard to get it hard to design a plane that even get off the runway."

You are not selling this part. The tone is annoying. Even if you were, how would a RAPIER that switches to nuclear propulsion help you get off the runway?

Please note that I am answering your request for why it might have been rated poorly. Also note that as far as I can see, it hasn't gotten any ratings at all, nor even a picture of what it looks like. SpacePort in its current state is worthless for anything except hosting, and even then is being avoided in favour of Dropbox and Mediafire by many mods. It needs to be replaced, as Squad have claimed is happening many times, or simply "put to sleep".

Whoo boy, where to begin...

First of all, I was unable to unpack your zip file with window's default zip for some reason... I had to use a third party program (7-zip) to unzip it. Many people might try to open it with the default program and assume it's a corrupted file.

Second, why the tag spam? How is your mod 'Craft', 'Decals', 'Command & Control' or 'Utility & Scientific' in any way?

Third, the parts are just cfg edits of stock parts, something that can be achieved with module manager without making the game load redundant files into memory (and for modded KSP installations, every KB of memory counts).

Fourth, I get a weird issue with your rapier engine where the VAB icon for it is bugged and flickering.

*edit* Ninja'd

I will try not to point out anything already stated above. From my point of view, however, it seems that the more successful mods/additions/ect. all start here in the forums before they ever hit the Spaceport. This allows for the more active aspect of the KSP community an input of their thoughts towards your concepts, allowing the creator to tweak what might have been an over/under powered part, into something more balanced. In my months lurking the forums, I have seen on more then one occasion, that some very gifted and talented artist will offer their skills to design a unique part (if the idea catches their interest enough).

Ayo99, I think the comments above have hit all the main hangups. You have to understand, spaceport gets swamped by many many many people doing half-assed work. Weird craft files that are useless, stock-part tweaks that are catastrophically game breaking, etc... And usually those get accidentally posted 27 times. So a lot of people, for better or worse, judge a book by its cover.

A good screen shot, and a more thought out, carefully written description, plus accurate tags, would do a lot to show people you care about the mod and have put work into it. (Fixing the file not being openable by WinZip would be great, too.)

It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong in principal with your part idea. Just try to invest a little more time on the packaging, and maybe run a sort of "beta" on the forums to see if it needs tweaking, and you should be a lot better off!

And thank you for your time and energy, mods make Kerbal into so much more than just the stock game can be. The players appreciate every one of you!

Best wishes

I'm a little bit astounded and somewhat ashamed that it has fallen to me to point out that the original poster has managed to mis-spell R.A.P.I.E.R. in the title line of his mod.

This engine is the ANT Raiper. And forever the ANT Raiper it will be. Given that it's also suggested that one must "get it hard" to design an optimally functioning spacecraft I can't entirely rule out the possibility that this is all an elaborate prank. In which case Bravo.

Ayo99, I think the comments above have hit all the main hangups. You have to understand, spaceport gets swamped by many many many people doing half-assed work. Weird craft files that are useless, stock-part tweaks that are catastrophically game breaking, etc... And usually those get accidentally posted 27 times. So a lot of people, for better or worse, judge a book by its cover.

A good screen shot, and a more thought out, carefully written description, plus accurate tags, would do a lot to show people you care about the mod and have put work into it. (Fixing the file not being openable by WinZip would be great, too.)

It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong in principal with your part idea. Just try to invest a little more time on the packaging, and maybe run a sort of "beta" on the forums to see if it needs tweaking, and you should be a lot better off!

And thank you for your time and energy, mods make Kerbal into so much more than just the stock game can be. The players appreciate every one of you!

Best wishes

Thanks everyone for reviewing my mod. I simply make a stock part edit beacause I am very very bad Unity

The KSP Community is THE BEST

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.