[WIP] [KSP 0.24] Kethane Plus v0.3

psyper

(currently having a problem with the radial drills at the moment - for some reason the latest version of kethane isn't allowing me to mine it - I'll have an eureka moment at some point and it'll become clear what I did wrong)

edit: eureka moment encountered - typo - now working but need sleep.

Edited by psyper

coming soon for version .24 - valuable resources you can sell by bringing them back to Kerbin - starting with Iron (as water is pretty much valueless for bringing back to Kerbin!)

So anyone have any opinions on this idea:

Trinium - a very valuable mineral found on different moons on the Kerbal system. You have to scan for the Trinium ore and refine it in to Trinium - but its not that easy as you can only refine it by using energy and Kethane. Once refined you can transport it back to Kerbin and recover the tanks and earn money from it that you can then use to purchase more parts for your space program?

Edited by psyper

@Psyper - Have you seen RoverDude's post on his upcoming mod called "Karbonite"? I think it may be right up your alley as it will be an alternative to Kethane, but with an open license which should make it more easily extendable.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87335-Karbonite-A-cheerful-license-friendly-alternative-to-Kethane%21

@Psyper - Have you seen RoverDude's post on his upcoming mod called "Karbonite"? I think it may be right up your alley as it will be an alternative to Kethane, but with an open license which should make it more easily extendable.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87335-Karbonite-A-cheerful-license-friendly-alternative-to-Kethane%21

I have had to use modulemanager to get these add-ons to kethane working and I have had a few problems running up against the licencing imposed on kethane and the use of its parts. I have been keeping an eye on karbonite and it does have a lot of potential and its tempting to switch over to it. only problem is my save game is about 7 months (irl) in to the game and I have a lot of craft that heavily depend on kethane so its going to be a hard switch. however, looking at this mod statistics issue it might be worth the pain of retiring my mining operations and upgrading them to kerbonite mining!!

New version (0.3) of the Mercury Edition of my Kethane Plus add-on. The tanks have been renamed better, their prices have been tweaked to reflect the new KSP version and water has been given a monetary value which is very low as its just filtered river water!

Kethane Plus - Mercury Edition 0.3

Download: Here

• Removes Kethane's converters ability to convert Kethane in to Oxidizer.
  • Adds Water as a mineable resource.
  • Water covers the following bodies 100% (mostly): Kerbal, Eeloo, Laythe & Vall.
  • Enables Kethane converters to convert Water in to Oxidizer.
  • Enables current Drills & Scanners to mine and detect Water. You don't need additional hardware sent to your bases or satellites.
  • Adds additional Water & Kethane Tanks under the Utility category. New style many thanks to blackheart612 (old style is present but unavailable in the VAB/SPH so your old craft files will not be affected). Tanks start empty but they are tweakable.

In order to mine fuel for your rockets with The Mercury Edition you will need to detect Kethane and Water deposits on the different bodies in the Kerbal System. Your existing drills and scanners have been automatically upgraded to mine and detect Water. You will need to equip your miners with Kethane or Water tanks. If you find a Water and a Kethane deposit that overlap then your drills will mine both resources equally (lucky you!). You can then connect these tanks to a converter (or transfer them to tanks attached to a converter) and convert Kethane in to Liquid Fuel and Water in to Oxidizer.

I'll be updating the rest shortly and adding new add-ons soon.

For the Mars Mod I've been crunching some numbers for the costs.

I created a basic miner which can convert Iron Ore in to Iron and did some experiments.

The Miner costs 39061.70. When recooping it straight back I get 39061.68 (not quite 100%)

If I fill it up with 3200 of iron ore I get back 39062.00 ( 0.32 profit) - this is the same amount as you would get back if you did the same for Water - the profit in that would be because its basically spring water. However, I want to a) discourage bringing back large quantities of iron ore (or mining it straight from ksp if its under a deposit) but B) want to make it semi-realistic so will probably up the profit on that.

Filling a 3200 tank of iron ore and then converting that using the 2m converter gives you 2720 of iron. When recovered this gives you a profit of 1740.74 above an empty miner.

Filling a 3200 tank of iron by converting and drilling gives you 2048 profit.

I haven't played career yet let alone the contracts version so is this balanced? The purpose of this is to set up a mining colony above minmus and bring tanks with legs and parachutes down to kerbin full of iron ore to sell off to finance the mission. Would you be able to launch several empty iron tanks off to minmus - fill them up - bring them back to kerbin and make the trip worthwhile?

Edit: Yeah I created a drop tank consisting of 8 radial parachutes, a small iron tank, 4 legs, 4 solar panels and remote guidance unit - comes to 8512.00

might have to x10 on all the figures. What do ya reckon?

Edited by psyper

I've multiplied Iron's value by 10 from the values in the above post - basically add a zero on the end of everything and you have the quantity you need. So now you can create a mining colony on any planet, mine for Iron Ore, convert it to Iron, bring it back down to Kerbin (I would recommend a ship that'll deorbit some drop tanks with parachutes and landing legs as close to KSC as possible for maximum profits!) & then recover the craft for finance for your space presence.

Kethane Plus - Mars Edition 0.3

Download: Here

• Compatible with:
    • KSP 0.24.x
    • Kethane 0.8.8
    • ModuleManager 2.2.0

[*]Adds Iron Ore as a mineable resource.

[*]Iron Ore covers the following bodies 100% (mostly): Duna, Bop.

[*]Drills and Scanners are able to mine and detect Iron Ore.

[*]Adds Iron as a resource which you cannot mine.

[*]Enables Kethane's converters to convert Iron Ore to Iron.

[*]Adds additional Psyper's Upcycle Iron Ore and Iron Tanks under the Utility category.

[*]Iron and Iron Ore can be 'sold back' to KSP for profit under the new contact version of KSP

The Mars Edition will give you the ability to find and mine Iron Ore and convert it in to Iron. You can bring Iron back (and Iron Ore to a lesser extent) to Kerbin for profit under the new version of KSP.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, the conversion from Kathan (Methane) into Liquid Fuel (Liquid Hydrogen) is an endothermic reaction that requires Electricity and Water and Produces waste CO2. CH4 + H2O → CO + 3 H2, and CO + H2O → CO2 + H2. It therefore would make sence if the mercury edition would require both Kathane an Water at the same time to produce Liquid Fuel Fuel and procude CO2 as a wast product.

Edited by FreeThinker

I wondered how we can turn water into Oxidiser. Hydrogen Peroxide is an Oxidiser and it can be created from H2O using Ultraviolet light. So basicly, using unfiltered (space) light, you should be able to convert H2O (Water) in H2O2 (Oxidiser). What we need is a part which could use light, like solar panen die directly convert water into H2O2

Didn't want to necro the old thread but - with regards to this. There is a much easier way and requires electricity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.