[WIP] [KSP 0.24] Kethane Plus v0.3

psyper

Version 0.3 is compatible with Kethane 0.8.8, Module Manager 2.2.0 & Kerbal Space Program 0.24

Do you love the Kethane Mod? Do you want it to do more? Lets see what we can do then..

These are add-ons to the Kethane mod which uses its API and as such you need to install the Kethane mod prior to installing this. They also make changes to the Kethane mod itself which is done through ModuleManager which you also need installed. Place the ModuleManager .dll file in to your GameData folder and the Kethane Plus add-ons will do the rest when you load KSP.

You also need to be aware that this is a work in progress mod and parts and their workings may be changed in future versions - I will make an active effort to keep defunct parts in the later versions available for active craft to use but they wont be available in the VAB.

Each version of Kethane Plus will do various things - all of the versions are compatible with each other (unless otherwise stated) so you can download multiple versions to customise Kethane however you want.

Kethane Plus - Mercury Edition 0.3

Download: Here

• Compatible with:
    • KSP 0.24.x
    • Kethane 0.8.8
    • ModuleManager 2.2.0

[*]Removes Kethane's converters ability to convert Kethane in to Oxidizer.

[*]Adds Water as a mineable resource.

[*]Water covers the following bodies 100% (mostly): Kerbal, Eeloo, Laythe & Vall.

[*]Enables Kethane converters to convert Water in to Oxidizer.

[*]Enables current Drills & Scanners to mine and detect Water. You don't need additional hardware sent to your bases or satellites.

[*]Adds additional Water & Kethane Tanks under the Utility category. New style many thanks to blackheart612 (old style is present but unavailable in the VAB/SPH so your old craft files will not be affected). Tanks start empty but they are tweakable.

[*]Water now has a monetary value for the new contract system but is a very small amount (it is only filter water a

In order to mine fuel for your rockets with The Mercury Edition you will need to detect Kethane and Water deposits on the different bodies in the Kerbal System. Your existing drills and scanners have been automatically upgraded to mine and detect Water. You will need to equip your miners with Kethane or Water tanks. If you find a Water and a Kethane deposit that overlap then your drills will mine both resources equally (lucky you!). You can then connect these tanks to a converter (or transfer them to tanks attached to a converter) and convert Kethane in to Liquid Fuel and Water in to Oxidizer.

Kethane Plus - Mars Edition 0.3

• Compatible with:
    • KSP 0.24.x
    • Kethane 0.8.8
    • ModuleManager 2.2.0

[*]Adds Iron Ore as a mineable resource.

[*]Iron Ore covers the following bodies 100% (mostly): Duna, Bop.

[*]Drills and Scanners are able to mine and detect Iron Ore.

[*]Adds Iron as a resource which you cannot mine.

[*]Enables Kethane's converters to convert Iron Ore to Iron.

[*]Adds additional Psyper's Upcycle Iron Ore and Iron Tanks under the Utility category.

[*]Iron and Iron Ore can be 'sold back' to KSP for profit under the new contact version of KSP

The Mars Edition will give you the ability to find and mine Iron Ore and convert it in to Iron. You can bring Iron back (and Iron Ore to a lesser extent) to Kerbin for profit under the new version of KSP.

Kethane Plus - Saturn Edition 0.2

Download: Coming Soon!

• Adds Kethane Plus capability to the TAC LifeSupport Mod which is a required install before adding this.
  • Causes TAC to loose resources in its processes - nothing has a 100% conversion: 'oxygen -> carbon dioxide', 'water -> waste water', 'food -> waste' is lost in any conversion process.
  • Adds Water as a mineable resource.
  • Water covers the following bodies 100% (mostly): Kerbal, Eeloo, Laythe & Vall.
  • Enables Kethane converters to convert Water in to Oxidizer.
  • Enables current Drills & Scanners to mine and detect Water. You don't need additional hardware sent to your bases or satellites.
  • Adds additional Water & Kethane Tanks under the Utility category. New style many thanks to blackheart612. Tanks start empty but they are tweakable.
  • Adds Hydroponics which converts Water / Waste Waste, Carbon Dioxide & Electricity in to Food & Oxygen.

This add-on plays around with the TAC LifeSupport mod to integrate it with the Kethane mod. It removes TAC LifeSupports ability to recycle resources with 100% efficiency and adds Water as a mineable resource which you will need to keep topped up to add further resources such as Food and Oxygen for your Kerbals survival

Kethane Plus - Phobos Edition 0.2

• Compatible with:
    • KSP 0.24.x
    • Kethane 0.8.8
    • ModuleManager 2.2.0

[*]Makes Kethane tanks tweakable.

A tiny add-on which allows you to fill up your Kethane tanks within the VAB/SPH. They will, by default, start empty.

Kethane Plus - Europa Edition 0.2

• Compatible with:
    • KSP 0.24.x
    • Kethane 0.8.8
    • ModuleManager 2.2.0

[*]Creates small tanks on all Kethane Converters

Don't you just hate it when you get your miner working but you didn't get the fuel tanks right and it just won't fill up your radial tanks or tanks attached via KAS? Well this will provide small tanks inbuilt in to the Converter so you can then syphon off the fuel from these into other tanks either manually or via a fuel balancer mod.

Kethane Plus - Callisto Edition 0.2

• Compatible with:
    • KSP 0.24.x
    • Kethane 0.8.8
    • Goodspeed Automatic Fuel Pump 2.14.1
    • ModuleManager 2.2.0

[*]Adds the following tanks to the Goodspeed Automatic Fuel Pump: Kethane & Water

This adds Kethane Plus tanks (including Kethane) to the Goodspeed Automatic Fuel Pump mod.

Note: The names of these editions are totally fictitious and are not related to any Kerabal myths about strange pink beings from another solar system.

Now for some piccies, kerbals love pictures!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Licence:

All Kethane Licences are owned by Majiir via the Kethane Mod:

https://github.com/Majiir/Kethane/wiki/License

Kethane Plus add-ons have been created by myself and are freely available as long as you maintain the authors details. If you amend them be sure to ADD your own name to the info file along with what you changed. Hey, contact me and I might add it to this post with your details retained :)

Additional tank models are owned by Squad and have been re-skinned by myself.

These re-skins are freely available to use for other mods here.

Future Release Ideas:

• If you have any suggestions or you require a resource which can be 'plugged in' to other mods please post in the thread.
  • Must create better tanks!

Edited by psyper

Would it be possible to bundle the Mercury pack into a zip to save downloading 18 separate files to the same folder? Otherwise, fantastic idea! Will enjoy this a lot!

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. Click on File->Download. Thanks again!

Never even realised it did that! - I've edited the links so they directly download now. Thanks.

Been messing around with this mod, and it seems to be pretty solid on my end, good job!

Quick question; Have you considered reducing the area and amounts of water that can be gathered? In my opinion, a planetary body that is covered ~100% by 100k units/hex of resource, leaves little challenge. Would be nice to see a variance in numbers and placement to account for water stress and recharge rates within a watershed. Even with a high percentage of the planetary body covered by water, the accounting for that water being briny and in need of desalinization, as an example.

Been messing around with this mod, and it seems to be pretty solid on my end, good job!

Quick question; Have you considered reducing the area and amounts of water that can be gathered? In my opinion, a planetary body that is covered ~100% by 100k units/hex of resource, leaves little challenge. Would be nice to see a variance in numbers and placement to account for water stress and recharge rates within a watershed. Even with a high percentage of the planetary body covered by water, the accounting for that water being briny and in need of desalinization, as an example.

Thank you. Unfortunately I was limited in the way that the kethane mod generates the deposits. I spent a good several hours tweaking the settings to try and get this right. Ideally I wanted 100% coverage of lots of little pockets 3-5 hex in size so you could exhaust one and move to one near by. I also wanted to be able to specify areas such as the ice caps of duna or the creaters of mun.

Now having to convert brine into water now there's a thought.... :P

On my part, brine, might have been a bad example. If you are wanting to pursue the desalination aspect further in the future, then just saline water (sea/groundwater) would be sufficient. Brine water (hyper-saline) is more often that not a waste material generated by the desalination process. Those processes can be things like reverse osmosis or electrodialysis, all requiring 3 liquid streams; Saline Feed Water, Low Saline Product, Very High Saline Concentrate. Looking forward to seeing the extent of the potential of this mod. Good Luck!

On my part, brine, might have been a bad example. If you are wanting to pursue the desalination aspect further in the future, then just saline water (sea/groundwater) would be sufficient. Brine water (hyper-saline) is more often that not a waste material generated by the desalination process. Those processes can be things like reverse osmosis or electrodialysis, all requiring 3 liquid streams; Saline Feed Water, Low Saline Product, Very High Saline Concentrate. Looking forward to seeing the extent of the potential of this mod. Good Luck!

I first started this add-on because of two things. 1) I wanted to make kethane a bit more complex and make the dual mix fuel (LiquidFuel & Oxidizer) to require two resources to make hence water to make oxidizer. also 2) I love the idea of building a base on duna that requires resources to provide life support - so it needs to provide water for kerbals and plants and o2 converter in the form of a hydroponics and a recyc system for waste and co2 etc. I'm interested in installing TAC LifeSupport but have an open system where you need to provide a small amount of resources for the crew to survive. The idea of having a group of tanks outside the base for water, waste, o2, co2 etc a group of hydroponics and a miner ship that flies off mines some water on another part of the planet or even ike and brings it back to the colony to resupply.

Unfortunately I was limited in the way that the kethane mod generates the deposits. I spent a good several hours tweaking the settings to try and get this right. Ideally I wanted 100% coverage of lots of little pockets 3-5 hex in size so you could exhaust one and move to one near by. I also wanted to be able to specify areas such as the ice caps of duna or the creaters of mun.

The legacy generator is limited in this regard, but you can create your own resource generator plugins by implementing the IResourceGenerator interface. (Any class implementing IResourceGenerator must also have a constructor that takes a single ConfigNode argument.) You might check in with TaranisElsu, since he was working on custom resource generators for a while.

tac water density 0.0017977746

your water density .002

should work with tac but probaly cause just a bit of conversion problems.

wont work with biofuel mod as biofuels values seem to be hardcoded

Good to see you fixed the legal issues, downloading now :D

tac water density 0.0017977746

your water density .002

should work with tac but probaly cause just a bit of conversion problems.

wont work with biofuel mod as biofuels values seem to be hardcoded

I've never used TAC but looking at it is it a closed system? I want to be able to create a kethane plus for it and plug in things like water mining and a biodome type converter which will convert waste in to food and co2 in to o2 but if its a closed system then theres no point in having miners etc to get new resources. Or I can tweak it so that you'll loose a little in the conversions and have to 'top it up' with fresh resources from outside. I currently have a mining outpost on minmus which would be awesome with TAC where the crew have to go out and mine some water every now and then to top up their water supply and I'm constructing a interplanetary mining vessel and it would be cool to have them have to stop off at different planets to replenish their supplies!!

I'll change the density values when a get a chance - theres no reason why mine was .002 its only because i just copied the values from kethane just to get it working. Tweaking comes later :D

Kethane Plus - Mercury Edition 0.2.1

New version. Now has some pretty tanks added with thanks from blackheart612. The old tanks are still in the install but are not available in the VAB/SPH - this means if you have craft using the old tanks you wont loose them! However, they will be removed in later versions so its best to send new supplies! (although you could keep them in the craft folder and they will remain unaffected anyway!)

A2dhxVe.png

Brilliant, thank you very much for this!

I just build an antimatter thermal jet SSTO using water as it's non-atmospheric fuel. This and the Kehtane mod allows me to go and land pretty much everywhere without having to send resupply fuel behind my SSTO.

Just need to finish my antimatter harvester ship (don't need a ton, the SSTO is tiny) and I'll have one of the smallest "grand tour" ships ever :cool:

Brilliant, thank you very much for this!

I just build an antimatter thermal jet SSTO using water as it's non-atmospheric fuel. This and the Kehtane mod allows me to go and land pretty much everywhere without having to send resupply fuel behind my SSTO.

Just need to finish my antimatter harvester ship (don't need a ton, the SSTO is tiny) and I'll have one of the smallest "grand tour" ships ever :cool:

Awesome. Glad I could assist your kerbals in furthering their space endeavors :D Please can you post a screenshot?

I created a interplanetary craft which uses water and kethane to refuel - it is planning to do a grand tour and refuel at each location.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/73181-IMC-Eosphorus-Interplanetary-Mining-Vessel

IVSnbuK.png

I keep looking at her in awe - shes one of my biggest creations beauty and function! (Ireallyneedtogetoutmore)

Awesome. Glad I could assist your kerbals in furthering their space endeavors :D Please can you post a screenshot?

I created a interplanetary craft which uses water and kethane to refuel - it is planning to do a grand tour and refuel at each location.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/73181-IMC-Eosphorus-Interplanetary-Mining-Vessel

http://i.imgur.com/IVSnbuK.png

I keep looking at her in awe - shes one of my biggest creations beauty and function! (Ireallyneedtogetoutmore)

Saw your thread, very good looking craft.

I'm still refining my SSTO's design a bit and need to finish my antimatter collector craft...but will post some pics later this weekend. Will also post craft files, but you'll need the interstellar mod, Kethane and Kethane plus.

Arrrrgghhh. I installed everything just fine, but it seems the Interstellar Mod doesn't recognize the water tank as a valid source of water (even if I connect it with a fuel line). It accepts only that huge and crazy bulky water tank of the mod.

Any idea what could cause that? I got a working SSTO (pics below), but round tanks would look much better.Those 2 huge white things in one of the pics are the water tanks that come with the mod.

iRVlyEX.png

tUN7CWQ.png

Also, does the miner have to be connected to the water tank to fill it up? Or does it work just like Kethane where that's not a prerequisite?

PS: Ignore my crazy orbit, I was messing around on the way up...still tooooons of deltaV left ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.