Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

Heelo there, well i love the CSS, but i have a quick question.

While using mechjeb, it seems to nose over slowly, there seems to be no way around this, is it me? or is it out of balance? how can i stop this effect? i checked and are the engines supposed to be gimballed? any advice will help, and hopefully i can get it to orbit WITHOUT ORDO teleport, LOL

You need Dtobi's gimbal plugin, if gimbaling doesn't work, you're missing that. As for MechJeb, TBH, I don't use it and don't really care about it. CSS is hard enough to support as is.

You mean "leaving the camera behind"? I don't know what causes that bug. COM changes during ascent are quite substantial, but this shouldn't be anything weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having issues with gimble? The gimble function is no longer there (i cant even right click and toggle it on and off as there is no option for it) any ideas? I also deleted css and all associated items and redownloaded the current versions and still nothing.

Edit:

looks like I needed that Gimble plugin. Weird that I didnt need it before and it just stopped working.

Edited by Strikeeagle345

• 2 weeks later...
Should be. KM_Gimbal seems to work.

What are your plans for the future of this thing? It is a shame to see such a wonderful model go but unless a truly skilled modder (no offense to you Dragon) comes and fixes this thing unfortunately its going to be dead like the real shuttle. Saddling it with plugins isn't helping, it just makes it less appealing. I mean are there any other Shuttle Mods out there like this one? I mean KSO doesn't count and the Tiberion Shuttles really (at least in my opinion) aren't that good in terms of realism. I mean it really surprises me that no one has taken up making a high fidelity space shuttle. Its arguably one of the most important piece of space hardware ever and no one has really given it a real go in quite some time. I say this all not as a modder simply as a consumer who wants something better. I really wish I possessed the skills to make it myself but I really wish someone would give the Space Shuttle the respect it deserves. I also don't intend to disrespect you Dragon I know you have put in alot of working trying to get this to work but for people like myself who dont have the time to jerry rig things to work properly and just want to have fun in KSP this isn't really good enough. I hate to diminish your efforts and I and a lot of people are grateful for them but this mod needs a huge overhaul to be really appealing to the masses and work reliably.

Well, this is the best we've got. We need a modeler who'd be able to either fix issues with the current Shuttle (I'm not a modeler at all) or model a new one from scratch. CSS isn't really up to standards anymore, even in the visual area it shows it's age. It's not dead, though I have little time for maintenance, as long as necessary plugins keep working, it'll work, too. At the very least, I'd like to get a proper parachute, switch to IR from Romfarer and find somebody to maintain KM_Gimbal. There are other issues out there, less pressing, but important (for instance, I'd now like to split the wing further, to better work with FAR, and to model more cargobay details).

Well, this is the best we've got. We need a modeler who'd be able to either fix issues with the current Shuttle (I'm not a modeler at all) or model a new one from scratch. CSS isn't really up to standards anymore, even in the visual area it shows it's age. It's not dead, though I have little time for maintenance, as long as necessary plugins keep working, it'll work, too. At the very least, I'd like to get a proper parachute, switch to IR from Romfarer and find somebody to maintain KM_Gimbal. There are other issues out there, less pressing, but important (for instance, I'd now like to split the wing further, to better work with FAR, and to model more cargobay details).

I understand but have you put it the community? Maybe someone with the necessary skills could retool the whole thing useing the groundwork you have laid. You certainly could help a proper modder along. I don't know about what your skill sets are in terms of modding but maybe get a community effort to rejuvenate this mod. Get a modeler to make the thing, you can do all the coding (I assume thats your forte) and use some of the groundwork already done within CSS to help you along. I mean thats of course if you are willing to take up the project. I mean from a time management thing would it be easier to keep trying to figure out ways to maintain this or just develop a new one entirely with some of the modders in the community?

Yes, I'm a config expert. The configs themselves are as good as they can be, really (you'd notice that for all it's flaws, the Shuttle flies well, or at least it did in 0.24). It's just that I'm no good when it comes to textures. Plugins needed to make the Shuttle work right are all already made, too. The only thing missing is someone who can model and knows the arcana of Unity (which I never learned how to use, only how to hate it :) ).

Ok so what is the difference between Bobcats Buran and this. I just installed the Buran and it flys wonderfully with a minimal memory footprint. I have quite a few mods installed and it works without even he slightest glitch. I built it, launched it, docked it with MIR, and landed it. I mean its a little shaky flying in the atmosphere but it does glide a hell of a lot better than the CSS? Also it only requires 2 plugins and one is optional. What can you take from the Buran and apply it to CSS? Because thats the way it should fly and should be that easy to put together. I love the option of changing the color of the wings etc. But come on you get this to fly like Bobcats Buran boom this is a huge Mod. I mean even the Airlock Docking port works on the Buran!

I easily docked with MIR. Alot of frustration trying to dock the CSS. Buran docked almost as easy as a capsule? Why does the Buran work better than the CSS?

81V1MRI.png