Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

Making the windows transparent is an easy task. You can make the cockpit inside visible by making a duplicate of it inside the crew section. You can not however make kerbals visible inside the cockpit as they are in a separate scene. I think there is a mod that allows you to do this but TBH it seems like an unnecessary dependency.

How did Alexustas do it in his ERS rovers. I mean the only real dependency is JSI and firespitter. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94947-Exploration-Rover-System-by-A-S-E-T-%2810-10-14%29

First I want to get it into a more complete state before worrying about minor details. At the moment I am redoing the airlock, combining pieces that shouldn't be separate like the cockpit, rcs and nose sections, cargo bay and doors etc... These are the major reasons it is not working in FAR. There are too many lifting bodies. There is no logical reason these parts should be separate, neither the stock parts nor any other mod separates the cargo bay and doors and the cockpit into multiple parts. Not only will a single piece work better aerodynamically but it will flex less which was a major issue with the mod. Doing this will also fix the longstanding issue with the airlock/ladder.

Hahahaha yea you're right getting the thing flying is probably more important than the windows.

Oh also can you make the windows from the IVA clickable so you can look into the cargo bay from them? Actually if all this happens then I think it is better for the mod for raidernick to take it over :)

Also: DO NOT MAKE THE FUSELAGE ONE PIECE LIKE THE KSO, it REALLY messes up the RCS and is not necessary. I think combining the cockpit, RCS and nose it good but not the cargo bay and rear section

Where did you get that idea from? I'm not combining the cargo bay and rear section. I am combining the cargo bay and the cargo bay doors only.

Oh oh ok. If you look at your post 791. You kinda make it sound like you were making everything one piece. I guess we both read that wrong.

It's probably a raster prop feature then. I don't do internals so I have zero experience modding for JSI.

I have some experience with JSI, I could learn more, work on the internal props and see if I can do the see-able kerbals/cockpit from the outside. If I am able to do it I'll send it over to you.

Also may I ask what is anything planned to be done about the ET and SRB's. Not that I have a problem with them, I'm just curious.

I am curious about this too. I don't have a problem with the ET except that if you keep the texture switcher on it, the white tank should look kinda like this color. It wasn't just white, it was almost tan. That is very much a nit pick and is also an after thought thing like the windows. However the SRBs really need work. I never liked the SRBs and the separation motors definitely need work. The decouplers were impossible to line up properly so they need some work too. Raidernick the seperation motors you have on your R7 are really good something like that for the SRBs would work very well.

1980%20STS1%20rollout%2015.jpg

Thank you SO much for this mod! I love flying it and I get into the routine that if a payload can't fit in the shuttle, then it's scrapped (the payload, not the shuttle:sticktongue:). This is one of the best mods for KSP imo. :)

However the SRBs really need work. I never liked the SRBs and the separation motors definitely need work. The decouplers were impossible to line up properly so they need some work too.

I do agree that the separation motors need improvement because I've had multiple experiences where when I decoupled the SRBs they just collided with my wings destroying them causing a failed mission and dead kerbals.

The tank is that color because it is white painted over orange and the orange is bleeding through. Again, textures are of the lowest priority right now. In fact I am removing the texture switcher module and all alternate textures for the time being and just using the generic texture. It will be added back at a later point when the shuttle itself is done functionally.

I am getting rid of the "new" srbs and nosecones from the american pack or wherever dragon got them from and going back to the original ones. They look nicer and have more realistic textures. I will be completely redoing the separation motors from scratch with new models.

Agreed except they need to be whiter and the giant NASA logo is not realistic and doesn't look good. However I def liked the textures better on the originals.

Here's what I have rebuilt so far. The cockpit is one piece, the cargo bay is one piece, the fuel tank/engine mount is one piece. The crew hatch works now. I also added a working airlock with hatch and docking port.

I also redid the animations on the doors. The right door now opens first, then the left as it did in real life.

http://i.imgur.com/fTZj5qS.png

http://i.imgur.com/EBEWGDe.png

Wow! The speed at which you get things done is incredible!! Looking good.

As soon as I get more substantial amounts of work done I will open a new thread and have this one closed. That will probably be sometime this weekend.

Wow. Its amazing how fast you get things done. Before you took over the amount of work you have done now would have probably taken about a month!

Edit: Also it might be nice if you included your IUS and PAM for the shuttle? If not could you at least create a link to them?

Edited by montyben101

Hello

I have some news from Dragon who asked me to post it here:

"I'm gone from this place, likely for good, but that doesn't mean I abandoned this mod. This is my own decision, too, the ban contributed to it, but there's more to it. Still, my issue is not with the userbase. In a few days, 0.90 version of the current Shuttle will be posted on a new site I'm currently trying to set up (BobCat's mods will be first, though). If Raidernick manages to do anything interesting with it in the meantime, he might forward the changes to Jovzin. We will continue working on the revised model in the meantime, since we'll not be using any part of the old CSS (except maybe the external tank, and that's a big maybe. SSMEs are Dtobi's, SRBs and CanadArm are BobCat's), we will release the reworked Shuttle under a different name.

I will leave the download up until the new site works as it should. After that happens, I'll ask for the link to be replaced with a link to that site. It will contain explanation of everything, including why I no longer intend to come back to the forum. If everything goes well, you will be able to discuss it there, without worrying about forum restrictions or my inability to respond here.

My wish would be for Raidernick to focus, after getting the Shuttle working (shouldn't be too hard), on fixing the lighting on the airlock module (long overdue, the plan was to remake the whole thing, but it turned into a new mod) and adding a docking port to it. After that, a good idea would be working on payload bay features such as PAMs with cradles (two kinds were flown, PAM-D and PAM-D2) and the IUS cradle, which we discussed already. New IVA instrumentation, Spacelab and Spacehab (with IVA, of course) would be suitable long-term goals. Those have the advantage of being possible to use in another Shuttle designed to a realistic specification (and BobCat's Buran, as a bonus), so I would like them to be available in a separate 'payload pack'. I won't be there to criticize him when he gets something wrong, though, so I expect someone in the community to take over that job. :) Reference pictures will be forwarded to Jovzin for him to post, should they be needed."

This shuttle will not be released on a different site. I am doing the work on the CSS and will be releasing it here. Dragon is making an entirely new mod he is releasing himself on another site. It has nothing to do with this.

That isn't what it sounds like from his post? Do you mean he is making a different version of the CSS then?

For sonicgalaxy :

4RdV6tT.jpg

And below the section:

nu3LO4s.jpg

Anyway. Sorry guys that is taking so long. I have a bad nature called - Perfectionism

But I think the time you are waiting for new model will be worth the wait.

As I wrote to Sonicgalaxy already.

I am planning to relase V1 of new shuttle before Xmas ( not sure ) or before new year ( more probable )

This version will be without that internal cockpit and glass windows ( as I really do not know how to do it in Unity to make it work ) , and without SSME as my engines are really simple. Dtobi's are great so I am thinking I will completely scrap my engines and we can use Dtobi's as his enginses are more detailed and well really really great. And it looks like it will be without forward RCS. As right now there is only a texture no holes. I need to make there some holes to this forward RCS section.

Have a nice evening.

Edited by Jovzin

For sonicgalaxy :

http://i.imgur.com/4RdV6tT.jpg

And below the section:

http://i.imgur.com/nu3LO4s.jpg

Anyway. Sorry guys that is taking so long. I have a bad nature called - Perfectionism

But I think the time you are waiting for new model will be worth the wait.

As I wrote to Sonicgalaxy already.

I am planning to relase V1 of new shuttle before Xmas ( not sure ) or before new year ( more probable )

This version will be without that internal cockpit and glass windows ( as I really do not know how to do it in Unity to make it work ) , and without SSME as my engines are really simple. Dtobi's are great so I am thinking I will completely scrap my engines and we can use Dtobi's as his enginses are more detailed and well really really great. And it looks like it will be without forward RCS. As right now there is only a texture no holes. I need to make there some holes to this forward RCS section.

Have a nice evening.

Awesome! As long as the internal is lined up with the cabin everything should be fine! That was my only other issue!

FgHRApH.png

Also, would people like the Cockpit to use ASET props? I could spend a lot of time fixing up the cockpit to be more useful with the props. If so I'll check in and see if I'm allowed to use them.

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

Where did raidernicks posts go? :huh: So, raidernick, if I was you I would concentrate on the Shuttle Payloads, not on patching the shuttle. Dragon01 might be off the forums, but he's still working on the shuttle, on a heavily improved version, and it wouldn't make sense to patch that old shuttle to get it somehow to work with 0.90. If you concentrate on the payloads and Dragon on the new shuttle, we will have a great shuttle pack with payloads at the end. That's better than spending your time with the old one.

~ Kartoffelkuchen