Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

This will be the development thread for Component Space Shuttle. Due to terrible luck this project had before, I decided that more public development is in order. Test versions will be more frequently updated than release, but might contain bugs and balance issues. Also, the flight procedures are yet to be devised, which means you'll have to figure them out yourself. As usual with development versions, everything is subject to change at any time, for any reason.

screenshot1206.jpg

Master Link:

http://www./download/f2f6ywszsehylud/CSS.ZIP

Current version: 6.0.3-X

RSS Version:

WIP

License: All parts shipped in the mod are free to use, but proper attribution is required for each part. See credits for the list. You only have to credit people involved with a particular part when redistributing it. This license does not apply if a dependency that has a separate license gets temporarily shipped with this mod for some reason. In this case, the details will be noted here.

Requirements:

Space Shuttle Engines by Dtobi [included]: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55985

Engine Thrust Controller by HoneyFox (link from his signature, no release thread) [included]: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb51rhkgdz814nl/Engine%20Thrust%20Controll%20V2.zip

Romfarer's Lazor System, or any "lite" pack with his plugin: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/9923-0-23-Lazor-System-v32b-%28Dec-19%29

Firespitter by Snjo: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24551-Firespitter-propeller-plane-and-helicopter-parts-v6-3-%28May-6th%29-for-KSP-0-23-5?p=1222092&viewfull=1#post1222092

Changelog from 6.0.2-X

Textures modified, courtesy of Dolin.

Sounds by Nazari1382.

RPM updated.

Bundled a number of (rarely updated) plugins.

Reduced amount of dependencies, streamlined the .craft file. It's very basic now.

Many small changes in order to ensure 0.25 compatibility and clean the Shuttle up.

Changelog from 6.0.1-X:

Major overhaul: Firespitter-based animations and landing gear.

ModuleRCSFX-based RCS in the engine block, to allow roll control.

Removed Shuttle-NRO.craft, replaced by a simpler Shuttle-gantry (easier to maintain).

Added RPM-based IVA. Still WIP.

Experimental texture switching added, currently only works on wings.

Changed the booster back the the old version and added Squad's FX to them. The result is much better performance than on SmokeScreen-based ones.

RealChute-based drogue parachute (no dedicated model yet).

Changelog from 6.0.0-X:

Updated ET - now the correct size.

Updated SRBs - now with custom particles and completely new models, courtesy of Piwa and 1096Bimu.

Updated .craft files - replace the ones you have.

Added a new SRB nosecone and separation motors.

Added SRB smoke and particles - now needs Smokescreen plugin.

Removed SSME smoke - it's not present on the real thing, either.

Changelog from 5.0.1:

-Reconverted all models and restructured the folder for memory efficiency.

-Reworked flight model, it behaves much better now.

-Balanced the COM with RCS placement.

-Fixed RCS nozzles - now they all fire properly.

-Split the crew section into airlock and crew cabin proper.

-Split the control surfaces from the wings and tailfin.

-Animated the tailfin as landing gear. It now works as an airbrake.

-Fixed the landing gear, this time for good (finally!).

-Added proper angling to OMS engines (the straight engine retained for use on other ships).

-Replaced Tiberion's SSME cluster with the new SSMEs by Dtobi.

-Added roll control to all engine gimbals.

-Added new effects to OMS and SSMEs engines.

-Changed Isp of all engines to better suit the purpose of the Shuttle.

-Added reaction wheels similar to those on Buran.

Known issues:

-Inverted lighting on airlock (no workaround, fix known and WIP).

-Airlock's dockport does not work (workaround: place a functional port on top, fix known and WIP).

-Body flap nonfunctional (no workaround, fix known and WIP).

-On certain parts of the Shuttle, things surface attached to it hover a short distance from the hull (workaround: use parts that normally extend into the mesh, fix known).

-"Pitch trim" option on the OMS engines trims yaw (no fix planned, you can now trim both axes, so just remember they're swapped).

-Downward RCS plumes on the nose clip through the mesh, visual only (no workaround, no planned fix).

-The arm interface says "Buran Cam" (no workaround, no known fix).

-Cryogenic effects on SSMEs are offset (intended behavior, the effect is being refined).

Credits and thanks:

Rocket2Guns - Original model and textures.

Ledenko - Complete model overhaul, re-conversion and Unity rigging.

BobCat - SRBs, their nosecones, CanadArm model and Buran, from which I borrowed many technical solutions (yes, I'm aware of the irony ;) ).

Dolin - Converting the new IVA to KSP from Orbiter, name textures for each Shuttle Orbiter.

Dtobi - SSMEs, gimbal plugin.

Nazari1382 - SSME and OMS effects, sounds.

Dragon01 - Configs, team management since 6.0 alpha and modification of Buran's arm texture with a proper wordmark.

JordanCox - SRB decoupler textures (new model, but old textures. I still hope to soon make this one a HM :)).

Cepheus - Configs and management up to 6.0 alpha version. First came up with the idea of resurrecting the mod (honorable mention).

Tiberion - Old SSMEs and old gimbal plugin, no longer inluded in the pack (honorable mention).

Wikipedia - CanadArm wordmark.

Squad - KSP.

1096Bimu - New SSRB model (now defunct, HM).

Piwa - SSRB nosecone, decoupler and separation motors (now defunct, but thanks, HM).

Release thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/8428-Component-Space-Shuttle-V-5-0-1-%28July-14-2013%29

If you're not in for bugtesting, then this is the latest stable version. Might be horribly outdated, so be careful.

Future plans/wishlist:

-Fix all known issues that we can fix.

-Cargobay radiator panels.

-New fuel dump valve.

-New OMS engines.

-Texture overhaul.

-More plugins supported.

-Real-scale version for RSS.

-New SRB decoupler.

-Further Firespitter-based refinements to the Shuttle.

-Better IVA props.

Edited by Guest

CSS Community Payload Project

Space Shuttle payloads were diverse, and there was a lot of them. From PAM-D and IUS, to Spacelab, LACROSSE and Hubble, as well as most of the ISS. Because of that, I'm opening the CSS Community Payload Project. I'll accept submissions for any payload that flew on a Shuttle, be it a cubesat or a whole-bay lab. I can also provide technical data and other support if needed. A few guidelines on them:

1. There's a node on the rear face of the Shuttle's payload bay. Large payloads should generally attach in there, or to the airlock node on the front.

2. IVAs are not required for manned parts, but nice. It should come in two versions: 64% scale (to fit with the "Kerbal" Shuttle variant) and 100% scale (for the RSS version).

3. Parts should also come in two scales, as there will be two versions of the pack. I can rescale and reconfig a submission if it's only provided in one version, but it's preferable to have both.

4. The "Kerbal" Shuttle can lift about 10T, less if going to higher orbits or performing complex missions. The 64% payload shouldn't weigh more. Real-scale versions should, of course, weigh as much as they really did.

5. ISS parts should generally be submitted to ISS Community Project, but I will accept them, especially if modeled with a realistic mounting interface. Generally though, I'd rather add the ISS parts themselves to ICP, while keeping the interfaces here.

6. Fictional payloads (including unflown ones) are allright, but will probably get a separate pack. The most likely ones (like Centaur G and PAM-A) could get included into the primary pack, though.

7. The airlock is technically a payload, so if anyone can design a better one that what is currently included in the CSS, it'll go here, too.

8. There's no such thing as "excessive quality". If it works in KSP, it can go in, not matter how many polies. Likewise, it can depend on any working plugins.

Download:

No submissions yet.

License: Unless on a special request, refer to the main license.

Edited by Guest

screenshot1206.png

Shuttle on launchpad. Payload is a classified National Reconnaissance Office spy satellite.

screenshot1210.png

Tower camera, just before liftoff.

screenshot1212.png

Payload bay, showing the spy satellite.

screenshot1213.png

Mid-tower camera.

screenshot1214.png

Ground camera, showing off the Shuttle's engines.

screenshot1215.png

View from the ET camera.screenshot1218.png

SSME ignition.

screenshot1231.png

Liftoff!

screenshot1219.png

Flight nominal, view from the bottom of ET.

screenshot1226.png

SRB camera.

screenshot1227.png

Approaching SRB burnout.

screenshot1238.png

SRBs jettisoned. It happens too fast to catch a good shot.

screenshot1239.png

Just before a big pitchover.

screenshot1240.png

Pitching over for orbital insertion.

screenshot1242.png

ET camera, showing another pretty view.

screenshot1243.png

Raising Ap to target altitude.

screenshot1248.png

MECO! The ET detaches and the Space Shuttle translates up to clear it.

screenshot1250.png

Flight nominal so far.

screenshot1254.png

Bay doors open, circularizing.

screenshot1256.png

NRO satellite ready for deployment.

screenshot1258.png

The satellite is grabbed by CanadArm and rotated to a position where it can safely move out of the bay.

screenshot1259.png

Agena's engine bell closeup, the satellite is close to proper position.

screenshot1260.png

Spy satellite erected, ready for release.

screenshot1264.png

The satellite is clear of the bay and has opened it's panels. It will soon begin operation.

screenshot1269.png

Preparing for reentry.

screenshot1273.png

Deorbited, heading for reentry.

screenshot1281.png

Reentry. It doesn't really heat up much, unless returning from about 300km.

screenshot1283.png

Entering a sharp dive before KSC.

screenshot1285.png

Shuttle final approach.

screenshot1286.png

Touchdown!

screenshot1289.png

Mission successful.

Edited by Guest

There you go. Also, if you use Space Shuttle-NRO.craft (it's the one set up for pretty pictures), keep in mind that tower cameras have a penchant for falling off. :) Dunno how to keep them all attached, taking those pics took multiple attempts. Also, the battery capacity has been bumped since they were taken (using the fuel cell is not advised due to limited fuel on board).

First of all nice on to the whole team to get this mod back up and running, I have a few observations.

1. SRB's are a royal pain in the ass to place correctly with the decouplers.

2. Part files are not set up for 0.23.

3. SRB effects are not the nicest to behold.

1. Yeah, I know. I'd like to replace the decouplers.

2. What do you mean? They are definitely set up for 0.23, taking advantage of MODEL nodes, for instance. If you mean lack of tech tree, that's planned (should probably edit that in).

3. If you can make better ones, go right ahead, I'll add them and credit you. Nazari could not do that. There's no way that we know of to make proper smoke (or even force a custom effect to use stock SRB smoke), which is essential to the SRBs and could not be replaced using custom effects. There's a plugin in the works dedicated to all sorts of smoke, and once that's done, we'll get new SRB effects.

1. Roger on the decouplers, may I suggest that you apply a node to the exterior of the fuel tank.

2. Tech tree integration was what I was on about and acknowledge your remarks about future development.

3. Acknowledge your remarks and await the pluggin.

I got a decent landing in on manual and it glides rather well.

Nice pics, as for the vid, use struts. :) It really needs them, such a powerful craft isn't gonna fly without additional reinforcement. If you looked at the .craft files, they're strutted quite extensively. BobCat's Buran is no different in that regard, though it's got (somewhat) better load distribution.

I got a decent landing in on manual and it glides rather well.

Yeah, I'm happy with it's flight model. It's somewhat forgiving, but good enough not to scare new players off, I think. Due to stock aerodynamics being what they are, it's rather hard to force it to approach and land at a very high speed. The future FAR version should be closer to reality in that regard.

I should try this out, soon. Does anybody know how it flies with FAR, or do I need to experiment with that myself?

It doesn't; wings have no FAR code and won't work properly. I'm gonna work on that soon, when making the RSS version of the Shuttle.

why do not you use SSSRB from 1096bimu???

Because they have no nosecone and the author was banned, rendering future support questionable. With BobCat, I have no such fears.

Edited by Guest

Nice pics, as for the vid, use struts. :) It really needs them, such a powerful craft isn't gonna fly without additional reinforcement. If you looked at the .craft files, they're strutted quite extensively. BobCat's Buran is no different in that regard, though it's got (somewhat) better load distribution.

Seems kinda silly that the .craft file wouldn't already be struted, but whatever. Should probably include some sort of note in a readme or something.

Love it! Haven't needed struts... Flies just fine the way it comes for me! (If you got all of the plugins)

Able to get to orbit pretty easily, and even did an Abort RTLS with it. Pretty interesting!

Good job Dragon01 and co-conspirators! You've done this mod more justice than I ever could have!

Now if only I could find enough time to make some payloads for this thing... Hmm...

Love it! Haven't needed struts... Flies just fine the way it comes for me! (If you got all of the plugins)

Able to get to orbit pretty easily, and even did an Abort RTLS with it. Pretty interesting!

Good job Dragon01 and co-conspirators! You've done this mod more justice than I ever could have!

Now if only I could find enough time to make some payloads for this thing... Hmm...

So what then, mine just was like "Screw you!" and just didn't want to fly?

EDIT: Just go ahead and change that to doesn't. No matter what i do this shuttle just does not want to fly. It just keeps spinning in circles until it falls apart.

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

So what then, mine just was like "Screw you!" and just didn't want to fly?

EDIT: Just go ahead and change that to doesn't. No matter what i do this shuttle just does not want to fly. It just keeps spinning in circles until it falls apart.

Maybe we can help you if you give us more info

1) Are you using FAR

2)Did you download and install the requirements and the recommendations

3)Where did you install the engine thrust pluggin ( A suggestion would be to place it in the css folder)

4) Did you lock any of the gimballing as its not a good idea

5)Did you set the trim and the engine speed

6) Do you use MJ

7) Do you let the engines reach full power before releasing the clamps, the main engines should be running before you fire the srbs and release the clamps

If you can answer some of the questions we may be able to resolve it I have had a dozen launches and everyone a success

Because they have no nosecone and the author was banned, rendering future support questionable. With BobCat, I have no such fears.

1.1.I made ​​his version of the fairing and it is good, I can give it to you if you want

2. Autor allowed SSSRB include other add-ons

4400261_m.png

4400263_m.png

Maybe we can help you if you give us more info

1) Are you using FAR

2)Did you download and install the requirements and the recommendations

3)Where did you install the engine thrust pluggin ( A suggestion would be to place it in the css folder)

4) Did you lock any of the gimballing as its not a good idea

5)Did you set the trim and the engine speed

6) Do you use MJ

7) Do you let the engines reach full power before releasing the clamps, the main engines should be running before you fire the srbs and release the clamps

If you can answer some of the questions we may be able to resolve it I have had a dozen launches and everyone a success

I think I found my problem, thanks for the help.