Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

I just got this off another forum. The SSMEs burn liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen. This makes a blue colour. I think the firey colour in that video is because of the engine being pointed directly at a surface.

This is exactly true. it is orange because it is hitting concrete. The SSME's burn clear/ to light blue actually. You only see the blue hint due to how the air is heated/ light refraction. The SRB's give it an orange glow because they burn orange.

I just got this off another forum. The SSMEs burn liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen. This makes a blue colour. I think the firey colour in that video is because of the engine being pointed directly at a surface.

The SSMEs simply do not burn with a blue color. You can easily see in this video that the exhaust burns with a red color. A screenshot from the video if you can't watch it:

17j1ihp.png

The red isn't from the light of the boosters or from hitting a surface and causing it to burn. The red is the color of the exhaust.

Saying "I think" doesn't really help most of the time, does it? :P

Edited by mythbusters844

I really can't believe there is almost an entire page dedicated to the color of the SSME flames. Now it could end up being productive but its a semi ridiculous discussion lol. Now I don't know if any of you have actually seen a Space Shuttle Launch but I for one have and I can tell you looking through my dads binoculars and following the Space Shuttle from pad to until it became a dot through the binoculars there is a range of colors all non specific and not vibrant. When those things are lit the initial color is bluish its not BLUE or purple. Once it leaves the launch pad those things are orange/yellow and as it rolled I could have sworn it was almost red. The higher it went the colors obviously faded. But looking straight up at it they begin to look white. and once the SRBs separate all you see are three white dots. Now this is my opinion from when I was 13, from memory. So long story short, the current engine effects are very well done especially with the new sounds associated with it. However they could be more orange with streaks of yellow and maybe some red. Since I am not an artist and I can't do anything in the realm of creating engine effects, I am just gonna say that the the current effects could be darkened maybe to highlight the oranges and yellow with a splash more of red. Thats just the opinion of a person who had the awesome experience of witnessing a shuttle launch. I think the SRBs engine effects need more work than the SSME's there is a mod that uses smokescreen. Its the Zenit launcher by stubbles, the way he makes the smoke work off of the launchpad is beautiful. The smoke explodes through the exhaust vents on the launch pad and the smoke cloud expands the longer its on the launch pad. That is something that would be really cool for this mod even though its another dependency and I am against that, however it might be worth it.

Edited by sp1989

The zenit is using a very old version of smokescreen where the launchpad smoke still works. That has been disabled in new versions because of the extreme lag it causes, and using the old version you lose all the fixes since then.

Im just saying its a nice feature.

I really can't believe there is almost an entire page dedicated to the color of the SSME flames. Now it could end up being productive but its a semi ridiculous discussion lol. Now I don't know if any of you have actually seen a Space Shuttle Launch but I for one have and I can tell you looking through my dads binoculars and following the Space Shuttle from pad to until it became a dot through the binoculars there is a range of colors all non specific and not vibrant. When those things are lit the initial color is bluish its not BLUE or purple. Once it leaves the launch pad those things are orange/yellow and as it rolled I could have sworn it was almost red. The higher it went the colors obviously faded. But looking straight up at it they begin to look white. and once the SRBs separate all you see are three white dots. Now this is my opinion from when I was 13, from memory. So long story short, the current engine effects are very well done especially with the new sounds associated with it. However they could be more orange with streaks of yellow and maybe some red. Since I am not an artist and I can't do anything in the realm of creating engine effects, I am just gonna say that the the current effects could be darkened maybe to highlight the oranges and yellow with a splash more of red. Thats just the opinion of a person who had the awesome experience of witnessing a shuttle launch. I think the SRBs engine effects need more work than the SSME's there is a mod that uses smokescreen. Its the Zenit launcher by stubbles, the way he makes the smoke work off of the launchpad is beautiful. The smoke explodes through the exhaust vents on the launch pad and the smoke cloud expands the longer its on the launch pad. That is something that would be really cool for this mod even though its another dependency and I am against that, however it might be worth it.

I believe that, rather than depending on other users for this feature, I believe that we should ask Squad to add this into the stock game itself. This would open up the ability for people to customize mods around that. I think they are going for that, based off what they have done with the launch pad itself, but we should request it anyway, just to be sure.

SRB flames will likely get an overhaul at some point. Most likely when the revamp is done.

As for SSMEs, while it's true they burn LH2+LOX, which "should" make a blue flame, it's important to remember that they dump 3 times as much hydrogen into the exhaust than the stoichometric ratio would imply. This cools the exhaust immensely (turning the exhaust orange everywhere but in the nozzle) and also helps cool the engine and increase it's Isp due to lower molar mass of hydrogen. And yeah, they do turn almost invisible at high altitudes, but this is not possible to do without Smokescreen. I don't want to make Smokescreen a dependency. HotRockets could include a config for the Shuttle, though, and I will make RealEffects config for it when I configure it for RSS (effects derived from this will likely be available for 64% size version as well).

SRB flames will likely get an overhaul at some point. Most likely when the revamp is done.

As for SSMEs, while it's true they burn LH2+LOX, which "should" make a blue flame, it's important to remember that they dump 3 times as much hydrogen into the exhaust than the stoichometric ratio would imply. This cools the exhaust immensely (turning the exhaust orange everywhere but in the nozzle) and also helps cool the engine and increase it's Isp due to lower molar mass of hydrogen. And yeah, they do turn almost invisible at high altitudes, but this is not possible to do without Smokescreen. I don't want to make Smokescreen a dependency. HotRockets could include a config for the Shuttle, though, and I will make RealEffects config for it when I configure it for RSS (effects derived from this will likely be available for 64% size version as well).

Understood. Makes sense.

Hey, I have encountered a rather intriguing issue with the current version of the CSS. What is to keep the SRBs from smashing into the shuttle's wings when jettisoned? Can we have the lower booster jettison rockets back to ensure that they do not strike the orbiter when jettisoned, please?

Hey, I have encountered a rather intriguing issue with the current version of the CSS. What is to keep the SRBs from smashing into the shuttle's wings when jettisoned? Can we have the lower booster jettison rockets back to ensure that they do not strike the orbiter when jettisoned, please?

Well you'll need to put the SRB nosecones on correctly. I suggest putting one nosecone on at a time. Then adjust the angle of it to about 10-15 degrees offset, which means the thrust from the nosecone will fire diagonally inwards towards the underside of the shuttle. There are red arrows on top of the nosecone that indicates which direction it will fire once you trigger it through staging.

The thrust on the SRB nosecones is about 150 I belive, so I would just put on a couple of KW separators on the bottom to compensate for the lack of the lower CSS sep boosters.

WdWaGW0.png

Well you'll need to put the SRB nosecones on correctly. I suggest putting one nosecone on at a time. Then adjust the angle of it to about 10-15 degrees offset, which means the thrust from the nosecone will fire diagonally inwards towards the underside of the shuttle. There are red arrows on top of the nosecone that indicates which direction it will fire once you trigger it through staging.

The thrust on the SRB nosecones is about 150 I belive, so I would just put on a couple of KW separators on the bottom to compensate for the lack of the lower CSS sep boosters.

http://i.imgur.com/WdWaGW0.png

Ok, I'll try that.

Funny looking thing. I think that the new Mk3 parts will make for a much better impression, especially if combined with a 5m ET and NovaPunch boosters (might need to poke Tiberion about throwing some 5m orange tanks into NP ;) ).

Yes, it is. I'm doing my best to keep it working. Jovzin is (I hope) making a whole new model that would have less issues than the current one.