Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

Hmm for me the plain version of craft file is working. I have realchute. The NRO version is not working as I have only FASA towers installed but no problem for me.

Smoke effect is working too without any problems. During start and first meters I see a little performance drop and frame drops but it is not a big deal. After few seconds everything is OK ano no drops in FPS or performance.

Dunno what's the deal with smoke effect, but I don't think I can do much about that. Bug Smokescreen guys about a solution, I've never seen this.

I found why my craft wouldn't load. turns out I did something wrong while adding the tech tree entries in the CFGs of some parts. Even having realchutes they wouldn't load in the VAB.

Dragon01, you should really take care of the tech tree, it should take no more than twenty minutes but it will save lots of headaches to those who play in carreer mode.

As for the cockpit, it's now a 4-seater and I fixed those ugly window frames. However i'm having trouble with the switches: i managed to model a simple switch with a flicking animation but I couldn't learn how to set up the prop.cfg : inspecting other props' configs gave me inconsistent answers so i'm a bit clueless. it'll take some time. However the cockpit as it is is functional, it has stock buttons for the basic operations plus a lot of monitors for flying.

Dunno what's the deal with smoke effect, but I don't think I can do much about that. Bug Smokescreen guys about a solution, I've never seen this.

You can re-create it by getting the SRB to crash into the ground. The only way to get rid of the smoke is by going to the map and back.

I'll check it, though it's probably a problem with either Smokescreen or SRBs. I'll inform Smokescreen people that something like that is happening.

I found why my craft wouldn't load. turns out I did something wrong while adding the tech tree entries in the CFGs of some parts. Even having realchutes they wouldn't load in the VAB.

Dragon01, you should really take care of the tech tree, it should take no more than twenty minutes but it will save lots of headaches to those who play in carreer mode.

As for the cockpit, it's now a 4-seater and I fixed those ugly window frames. However i'm having trouble with the switches: i managed to model a simple switch with a flicking animation but I couldn't learn how to set up the prop.cfg : inspecting other props' configs gave me inconsistent answers so i'm a bit clueless. it'll take some time. However the cockpit as it is is functional, it has stock buttons for the basic operations plus a lot of monitors for flying.

Have you checked out the LEM from FASA? Anyway, send the cockpit over, I'll test it myself and release as soon as permissions are acquired.

Just a heads-up, updated .craft files. Removed RealChutes from Shuttle-Plain and NRO, and for RC fans, left a version of the NRO variant with the drag chute. Note, it's experimental and will change.

Great to see that you got the wheels working!!! (Yeah, I've been away for some time)

I would like to apply to deign a payload. Two questions: 1) Can I design something fictional that just looks good, if no, I'll just make the Shuttle-Mir version of Spacelab and: 2) Will the payload be the correct size if I make it sized for the real shuttle and then scale it to 64% when I'm done?

The only problem is that I have no idea how to use Unity, so if anyone wants to help me...

1). I'd prefer a real thing. You can, of course, go fictional, but IMO, a Shuttle-MIR style Spacelab would be better than any fictional payload. It's something I wanted to see for a long time. Make the Spacelab if you can, I'd be really grateful for that.

2). Yes. If it isn't so, then it'd mean there's a problem with the Shuttle. :) It's supposed to be exactly 64%.

As for Unity, if you do the model, I'll try to find a rigger. Perhaps Ledenko, when he's back... It'd be nice if you also made the IVA, BTW.

Edited by Guest

OK then, the Shuttle-Mir thingy shouldn't be too hard to do. The pallet behind it though...I'll use my 1:72 4D Vision space shuttle for reference.

EDIT: I probably won't be able to do this very quickly, as I have recently had a concussion and was told by three separate doctors to minimize the time I spend looking at screens.

EDIT-2: Can I share my progress in this thread, or should I make a separate one?

Edited by POTKC

Hello, I managed to turn the switches into Unity props, but they're still non-functional as of yet. I made three kind of switches : flat, round and a black knob, all with higher resolution textures than they would have been in the original mesh.

Apart from fixing couple of textures, I created a switch-less cockpit mesh and started filling it up with the switches, all according to their original type. Here's a pic of the work-in-progress:

3hk2.jpg

It shouldn't take too long, although I've only done three panels so far

I'll also fix the tilted flat switch, which was the original model with the flicking animation in, which I don't know how to use so far.

Looks good. When you're done with making the cockpit, try getting in contact with Alexustas, who made ALCOR capsule. He knows how to make working switches.

Looks good. When you're done with making the cockpit, try getting in contact with Alexustas, who made ALCOR capsule. He knows how to make working switches.

Will do, Also SiameseCat replied, telling me he didn't take part in creating the original models, so he told me who to ask instead. If you want to take care of this, just let me know, or alternatively i can ask them myself.

Edited by Dolin

Your call. You may ask them yourself, or PM me and I'll see about it. It'd probably be easier for you, I don't have an account on Orbiter forums.

Sitrep : the static switchwork is done, I've contacted Alexutas about teaching me how to make working switches, and I'm awaiting his reply. I contacted DaveS and Donamy, the creators of the original Orbiter meshes and I'm also awaiting their reply.

I should also point out something about sizes: As far as I know (i might be wrong) there's no way to scale up or down the in-game Kerbals, therefore the cockpit was tailored according to their size ( i actually had to raise the seats a bit so they would still see out of the cockpit without making them ridiculously big). As it turns out, this makes the cockpit smaller than it should be to fit the external model ( about half the size, give or take).

I couldn't place the cockpit inside the Crew Compartment section, because you could still see the outer model's window frames, which I didn't like at all. To hide the inconvenient I placed the IVA more in the front-right and raised it, like it was sitting on the nose, sort of. The effect works, you have a very similar point of view as an ideal cockpit and the kerbals look better inside. Here are a few pics of the current state:

idpt.png

xjx7.png

hrmv.png

qus1.png

l64z.png

Looks very good. Just make sure there are no weird effects with RCS puffs or stuff that could be attached in front of the cockpit. Also, looking forward to working switches. :)

Sitrep : the static switchwork is done, I've contacted Alexutas about teaching me how to make working switches, and I'm awaiting his reply. I contacted DaveS and Donamy, the creators of the original Orbiter meshes and I'm also awaiting their reply.

I should also point out something about sizes: As far as I know (i might be wrong) there's no way to scale up or down the in-game Kerbals, therefore the cockpit was tailored according to their size ( i actually had to raise the seats a bit so they would still see out of the cockpit without making them ridiculously big). As it turns out, this makes the cockpit smaller than it should be to fit the external model ( about half the size, give or take).

I couldn't place the cockpit inside the Crew Compartment section, because you could still see the outer model's window frames, which I didn't like at all. To hide the inconvenient I placed the IVA more in the front-right and raised it, like it was sitting on the nose, sort of. The effect works, you have a very similar point of view as an ideal cockpit and the kerbals look better inside. Here are a few pics of the current state:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/69/idpt.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/812/xjx7.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/18/hrmv.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/855/qus1.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/24/l64z.png

That...looks...amazing!

I would just like to report some weird bug that occurred to me only since yesterday: if I put the shuttle manipulator arms on the CSS, it won't take off. It's like the arms are clipping with some other mesh and somehow keeping the whole thing from taking off.

Also I noticed that the ascent to orbit is a lot smoother if SRB gimballing is turned off

Robotic arms are currently broken, this is to be expected. I might remove them from .craft files for the time being, but Romfarer's working on a fix. As for the SRBs, whatever works for you. I had no issues with them turned on, but if you find it better with it off, that's what tweakables are for. I noticed that SRB gimbals help with roll control, mostly, since otherwise, the torque is applied very asymmetrically.

Good news: I've received official permission to redistribute the cockpit files. Credit shall be given to DaveS, Donamy and Michael Grossberg over at the Orbiter forums.

I'm still waiting for instructions on the functional switches, in the meantime I tried fiddling with the files myself with negligible succes

No progress on the cockpit since the last update, I just checked that it wasn't palced in the way of the RCS jets, but it seems fine. you can faintly see the tip of the jet from inside and it looks fine to me.

I also dropped the idea of adding window glass

Edited by Dolin