Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

No please don't give up lol there needs to be a useable real replica of the shuttle.

I'm not saying give up on the Shuttle. :) I meant giving up on tire screech, touchdown sparks and buzz when lowering them. :) Those are Firespitter features, and I really wanted to implement them, but they're giving me a pain. I've already got the cargobay to work, sounds and all.

KOSMOS struts are nice if you can spare the memory. It's indeed a good idea to re-strut the thing if you have some prettier struts than stock.

As others have said previously the orbital engines need some work. It doesn't matter which engines you use, the R and L or the regular ones or the trim angles. When you try and use them the maneuver node flies all over the place because they aren't at the center of thrust to the center of mass so the ship is constantly fighting the sas/rcs to turn.

Edited by raidernick

Just do it like they did IRL. Get within 9-10m/s of your goal, then finish up with RCS. In general, you can use RCS a lot to fine-tune your orbit. Even though the RCS are not that strong, I made them have a pretty good Isp for that reason.

Orbital engines need a complete redo. I PMed Dtobi about it, he hasn't responded yet. Although, I might give the Gimbal COM Compensator a shot. Maybe it'll help, though keep in mind that the node will still "fly around" if you go straight for it, since your thrust vector isn't parallel to the ship's main axis. It's just the way Shuttle is built, and there's no way around it. You need to get a "feel" at how to point the Shuttle at the node, and use RCS generously.

since your thrust vector isn't parallel to the ship's main axis. It's just the way Shuttle is built, and there's no way around it. You need to get a "feel" at how to point the Shuttle at the node, and use RCS generously.

This is a problem for which a solution is being developed, although, I don't know if it will be part of EnhancedNavBall or not.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50524-0-23-5-Enhanced-Navball-1-2/page9

I actually visited this thread to test out my new engine detection code with the CSS. :cool:

Well, I've got exams nearing, so the work has bogged down somewhat. I've got an idea how to deal with OMS gimbal (the vector will still be off-axis, though), but I don't have the time to implement everything. I'm also having trouble with Firespitter stuff, I've figured out texture switching for wings, but not for the cabin. I also need to determine if the wheels are really what causes the Shuttle to fall apart. A lot of work and not enough time. I'll get to doing this at some point, but can't give an estimate. Also, I've been looking into making an RSS-compatible version, but I'll have to talk to Ferram about the details.

OK, solved the problem with Shuttle exploding. Looks like you're getting the landing gear and sounds on the cargobay. Will run an all-up flyaround test soon and, if nothing goes wrong, upload the results.

Also, I need someone with time and experience to add ALCOR props to the IVA. It won't hold up the release, but would be nice. I'm also having trouble with the texture switcher, I've got wing nameplates to work, but not the cockpit.

I could be wrong but I don't think the craft file will work but you can definitely build the shuttle without the arm. I only say this is because Bobcats Buran craft file is broken without lazor.

He finished the cockpit, minus the props (though he did some basic switches), then got busy. The cockpit will be in the next release.

Also, you can build the Shuttle without the arm. The .craft will not load, but if you assemble it manually, it'll fly just fine.

In future releases will you integrate only whats needed from the required mods into the gamedata file? For example I really don't need/want the entire space shuttle engines pack.

Yes, i apologise if I couldn't go as far as I intended or as people were expecting but I've got university exams going on as well. I couldn't even get a basic switch to work and I didn't have enough time to keep on trying. I gave Dragon01 everything i managed to accomplish, and although there's lots of room for improvement it should work and look acceptable

In future releases will you integrate only whats needed from the required mods into the gamedata file? For example I really don't need/want the entire space shuttle engines pack.

I'll think of it, however, that means I'd have to get a redistribution permission for Firespitter's sounds.

I'll think of it, however, that means I'd have to get a redistribution permission for Firespitter's sounds.

I think it would be for the best. I mean you're asking for high memory things to make this thing work which isn't small itself. I mean even with ATM you're gonna force people to remove stuff from their game data files.

You could just delete all the parts you dont want.... its not that difficult

No I agree and that is basically what I have done. I'm just talking about making more egalitarian for the novice or potato computer people who just want to copy, paste, and play.

After flying the shuttle twice i have a few things to say THIS SHUTTLE IS AMAZING

also i have a weird problem were kerbals get flung off the ladder as i exit the cockpit also the airlocks door dosent work

one last thing as well: the SRB thust tailoff is really cool but not steep enough so im left with it producing 100 kn of thust and the fuel draining REALLY slowly and if i sep them they knock into the shuttle, apart from that its AMAZING

After flying the shuttle twice i have a few things to say THIS SHUTTLE IS AMAZING

also i have a weird problem were kerbals get flung off the ladder as i exit the cockpit also the airlocks door dosent work

one last thing as well: the SRB thust tailoff is really cool but not steep enough so im left with it producing 100 kn of thust and the fuel draining REALLY slowly and if i sep them they knock into the shuttle, apart from that its AMAZING

I have the same complaint he said he's working on the decoupler and the separation motors. Right now I just ad some extra sepratrons and it solves the problem.

Yeah, the new decoupler is medicore, but the separation motors did improve. The airlock door is a known issue (the part is being remade) and the cockpit doors are usable, just the ladder isn't (I would like to fix that, but Ledenko is gone).

Yeah, the new decoupler is medicore, but the separation motors did improve. The airlock door is a known issue (the part is being remade) and the cockpit doors are usable, just the ladder isn't (I would like to fix that, but Ledenko is gone).

The separation motors as they are now are very weak I tried using the ones from the American pack they work much much better. They dont fit very well though, too small.

Edited by sp1989

Urgent bug report: For some reason when i fly the shuttle the pitch axis gets inverted and affects every other craft i fly :( any ideas?

Edit: Seemed to have only affected one flight, ill keep you posted if it crops up again

Edited by montyben101