[0.23] INSULINt's Subassembly Starting Plates 0.1 (1st pass)

INSULINt

The plates are basically just a slight reskin of the 1x1 and 2x2 plates, but without mass. They are meant to be used as a starting object to build a whole, attachable, vehicle as a single subassembly. This basically just started as a personal frustration I have with creating things like probes, balancing their rcs, but then saving them as a subassembly that is properly attachable to a docking port, or even a radial decoupler. Right now if I was to create a vertically symmetrical probe with a single set of rcs ports, balancing them would be guesswork, and trial and error, even using the stock plates since they have mass. Creating that probe with 2 sets of rcs would involve saving the rcs tank wth the rcs (and whatever else) on it, then reconstructing the docking ports, tank assembly and probe body separately on the main vehicle I wanted it on. Saving the docking port with the subassembly isn't an option, since the attach point of the assembly is either JUST on the tank, or I've used the port as a parent object to the tank, and whatever the port is attached to has probably affected the rcs balance.

So I copied, and edited the stock plates to have no mass, so that I can use them to create a WHOLE, complete vehicle that I can attach in one step, the way i want, and have it's rcs balanced. It's kindof a time saver (and a little easier) when you want to attach multiple of the same thing to a launcher for example. Just drag 1 subassembly over each time!

One thing I also changed, is I made it so they are as weak as anything can get in this game, so they can't be used to make a massless monster of a ship. More of a balance thing I guess, but useful for creating fireworks at vehicle unpack:

I haven't changed anything for the career mode placement yet, since I don't play that mode, but I might do that later.

Anyways, file: http://www./download/x17hyizexb5q5sf/INSULINt%27s+Subassembly+Starter+Plate.zip

Imgur gallery:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.