Mun Landings

Javster

Have you landed and returned a Kerbal on the Mun?  

1. 1. Have you landed and returned a Kerbal on the Mun?

This is just my latest endevour, still few more Biomes left, only marked the main biomes with flags, but done in this game many more mun landings, mostly for kethane extration.

By now, i dont even have to give an efford to land on the mün and go back to the kerbin, this is just for me a routine flight with no challenges anymore.

I see your flag-covered Mun, and up it a completed biome hunt from 0.22.

tt26.jpg

I don't think I even bothered to screencap my 0.23 run of sucking science out of the Mun. But that was also another 14 landings in one mission.

Oh yes. I have done it plenty of times, in the name of Science! This is a pic of my most common two-man lander design, using a Munar rendezvous for the return to Kerbin. Doing it Apollo style, with stock parts!

MunLanding.png

2, maybe 3 times?

Once or twice back in 0.21, then I didn't play for a while, then one so far in career 0.23 (plus an unmanned lander first to test it out...)

EDIT: Haven't landed on Minmus yet, though (or done anything interplanetary).

Apollo style is a lot of fun. Especially if you toss FAR and DE and TAC Life support in, with Proc. Fairings as well.

Then you can make a Apollo Style that looks nice and smooth and apolloish.

What I really like about Apollo style I think is that you can design, build, and fail a mission in half an hour. Doing anything to a planet further out takes a lot longer. Especially if you already have flights in process so you can't just timewarp wildly.

Going to the Mun and back is something I do when I just feel like doing something simple. I've gotten so good at it, I can do it even on the dark side (although it is much harder).

Duna is fairly routine for me also.

I've been to the Mun. And other places. I still drop by every now and again, to brush up on all my skills. I mean, if you can conduct a Mun return mission, or better yet an Apollo-style Mun return mission, you can do anything in the game. You need to be able to design a working spacecraft, achieve orbit, adjust that orbit for a Mun intercept, capture, land, rendezvous and dock(if it's apollo style), and re-enter into the atmosphere.

Also, the Mun works as a good analogue for testing missions to Ike and other such places.

Mun is pretty easy after a while. I can do full mun missions with landing and return completely out of IVA view (no orbital map). Although I didn't expect your guessing of 50% to 50% each, I also didn't think 99% would be the outcome of the poll. Here and there you can still read about people struggling getting to or land on the mun or even getting into a stable (Kerbin) orbit.

• 3 months later...
I know bumps are frowned upon, but could a few more people do the survey so I can know if the situation is still the same?

Actually the new results will just mix with the old ones, and so you'll just skew both. Better would possibly be to post a new poll though considering how overwhelmingly "Yes" this poll is, I'd expect any subsequent polls to be similarly lopsided.

And to answer the question: Yes. It was my own personal goal with the demo. I did it about a year ago and as soon as I splash landed my Kerbal back on Kerbin I bought the game. These days, I could build a ship capable of going launchpad to mun and back without much thought. I did in fact do it once just to take a picture of Kerbin with clouds.

I assume about half have, half have not.

Well, consider that this community doesn't shed many members ... KSP is a journey and the Mun is just the first of many other-worldly challenges. I think you'll be surprised at how many people have done a Mun mission ... once you've done it several times, it's pretty simple.

I've been to the moon dozens of times. With a new career game I can land and return from there on the 3rd launch. Minmus 4th, Duna and Ike 5th. Laythe 6th and so on. Unfortunately going everywhere has become rather routine.

I wonder how many have gone Apollo style. That was the first thing I started trying to do as soon as I had done a couple successful direct ascents. Took me many attempts and redesigns back then, but that's how I ended up learning about rendezvousing and docking. For the record, my first successful Apollo style mission was also my first Minmus landing.

I wonder how many have gone Apollo style.

Apollo style is fun every once in a while but I don't usually do it during a career run because it's just too ... tedious compared to a direct lander approach. Even on an RSS install the Mun/Moon is such an easy target that having a transfer vehicle isn't really needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.