[PYTHON][ALL OS] basaGC - Apollo Guidance Computer for KSP

ttb

basaGC

Apollo Guidance Computer for KSP

Version 2.2.0

I am pleased to present to you for your guidance needs, the basaGC. The interface is run in a seperate window to KSP. To grab a copy of the code, head to https://github.com/cashelcomputers/basaGC . Please feel free to test and report any bugs here or on github.

***IMPORTANT!!!1!!***

Make sure to read the readme and manual on github. It will tell you how to use the basaGC, and a list of prerequisites. Please note that this is NOT a plugin for KSP, it merely runs alongside KSP and gets its information from the Telemachus plugin.

Download, or checkout from Github.

Thanks,

ttb

Edited by ttb
version bump

This looks great, has a lot of potential. Are you thinking of being able to put this on a tablet/phone as an app?

Hi,

Yip sure am. I'm going to rewrite the app using Kivy rather than wxPython, as Kivy is cross-platform. Also lots more nav features to come, stay tuned!

Cheers

ttb

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I have found myself with a bit of time up my sleeve recently, so have been working on this again. Latest version can be found here: https://github.com/cashelcomputers/basaGC.

I am currently working on properly implementing programs, starting with P11, launch monitor.

Thanks,

ttb

Edited by ttb

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

BASA is proud to announce the release of basaGC 0.5.0! Downloads are available from the top post in this thread. This is an exciting release, as lots of new features have been added:

- Program 15: TMI (TransMunar Injection) initiate/cutoff - mostly complete. Autopilot still needs to be implemented.

- You can now use basaGC on a different computer over your local network. Simply fire up basaGC and go to File/Settings menu and change the IP address to that of the machine running KSP.

- New Settings dialog, menubar and Help/About menu. Help documentation to be added soon.

- New nouns added, more to come.

- Lots of bug fixes!

- Lots of docstrings for those who want to peruse the code!

- More documentation added! Checklists partially done, manual updated with all the latest info.

Testers needed! Checkout the code from Github to help!

Happy Navigating!!!

ttb

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

BASA is proud to announce the release of basaGC 0.5.3! Check the top post for download link. New features:

- User can now select display update rate from File->Settings menu

- Added help menus for verbs, nouns and programs

- Many bug fixes and code refactoring

Any feedback on this would be appreciated! Next features to be added will be 2nd Hohmann transfer burn, and more (unspecified) nav functions :)

Happy navigating!

ttb

-------

Another fine product from Buchanan and Son Avionics (a division of Buchanan and Son Aerospace)

Hi all,

BASA is proud to announce the release of basaGC 0.5.4! Check the top post for download link. From the changelog:

- Fixed a but where if user clicked on the log viewer (or help) dialog system close icon the window would get destroyed rather than hidden

- Changed default log level to DEBUG

- Changed Noun 50 to display the first digit after decimal dot

- Fixed a bug where a backgrounded Monitor Verb couldn't be recalled with KEY REL button

- If there is no connection available to KSP, the NO ATT annunciator is illuminated and logged

- If KSP is paused or there is a problem with the Telemachus antenna, the STBY annunciator will illuminate and details will be logged.

Happy navigating!

ttb

-------

Another fine product from Buchanan and Son Avionics (a division of Buchanan and Son Aerospace)

• 2 weeks later...
It is great to see this application being continually updated. I wish this project got some wider recognition cause it is extremely well designed and I love using it.

Thanks for your kind words :) A new release should be ready in the next few days, Program 15 is neally complete.

cheers

ttb

• 2 weeks later...
How did I not know this was a thing.

THIS IS THE BEST THING

Thanks for your kind words, it inspires me to keep going with this project :) Any and all user feedback/bug reports etc keenly sought.

Thanks,

ttb

Hi all,

BASA is proud to announce the release of 0.5.6. As per usual, get your copy from the top page in this thread. I really need to write some documentation on how to get to the Mun, that is my next task :)

Happy navigating,

ttb

Hi all,

BASA is proud to announce the release of 0.5.6. As per usual, get your copy from the top page in this thread. I really need to write some documentation on how to get to the Mun, that is my next task :)

Happy navigating,

ttb

I've been scouring for resources on the details of the programs without necessarily diving into the source code yet (since I doubt I'll understand that). What sources have been most useful to you so far?

I've been scouring for resources on the details of the programs without necessarily diving into the source code yet (since I doubt I'll understand that). What sources have been most useful to you so far?

Hi Fusty,

The only resources I've used can be found at the Virtual AGC project, on the document library page. There are an awful lot of documents, the ones that I have based this project off are the GSOP documents, and the Apollo 15 Electronics manual, by Delco Electronics. Honestly there is so much documentation there it can be hard to find what you need, its such a great resource tho.

The AC Delco manual is great for having a rundown of the steps performed by each program as seen by the astronaut, whereas the GSOP manuals specify each program more from the point of view of the AGC.

The programs as written for the AGC don't match up to what are in basaGC, they are more an inspiration and a guide more than anything. I heartily recomment having a play around with the Virtual AGC, its primo :)

thanks,

ttb

Edited by ttb

Hi all,

basaGC is proud to announce the release of version 0.5.7. As per usual, use the download link on the top post to get your copy.

New in this version is a checklist menu and some bug fixes.

Happy navigating!

ttb

One more thing i forgot, an excellent book on the AGC is entitled "The Apollo Guidance Computer: Architecture and Operation" by Frank O'Brien, ISBN 9781441908766. Its a great resource, mainly dealing with the hardware and software in general.

Thanks,

ttb

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

just a quick update on this project. Motivativation levels have been quite low lately to work on this. My current intentions is to convert basaGC to use Telemachus' websockets interface, as well as integrating the Twisted framework into basaGC. I am also looking at alternate interfaces as I really want this to run on my Android phone. Thoughts include using javascript/HTML5, or perhaps Kivy to get this working. Also I shall be working on decoupling the DSKY interface from the rest of the code, to allow different frontends to operate. So I won't be doing too much to add to the functionality, one problem I am having in this area currently is working out the math to use for calculating maneuvers, any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't math good :)

To get the most bleeding edge updates, pull the "feature/uncoupling" branch from github (may be broken)

Thanks,

ttb

Edited by ttb
Edited correct branch

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
i have been looking at this for a while and it looks great, im not sure how to launch it on mac, i have never used python before.

Can't help you there, I'm using Linux, sorry. Python shouldn't be that hard to install.

- - - Updated - - -

Will I get a 1201 alarm? ...:D

1202 alarm isn't currently programmed into the guidance computer, possibly will add a simulated failure mode to include this. Technically this alarm wouldn't occur as the internal structure of basaGC is way different than the AGC, this alarm was caused by the AGC essentially running out of memory, easy to do with a system that has ~64kwords memory :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi folks,

Unfortunately I havent been able to put much time into this at all lately, between caring for my son and work and volunteer duties life has been a bit hectic. Meanwhile...

I have found a cheap source of electronic parts and actually managed to get my mitts on some, so currently the hardware version of basaGC is back on the cards. Below are a few hardware decisions:

- Going to use arduino mega because of much more IO pins which will allow me to directly interface the keyboard to the MCU rather than using decade counters or PISO shift registers, basically this means less complexity component-wise,

- Am awaiting more parts to build a prototype (probably about 4 weeks away), initially I will use a 20X4 LCD instead of seven-segment LEDS, as 7segs are more expensive. Also another problem is I need 3 digits for the + and - symbols, these would have to be either 14- or 16-segments, am having trouble matching size and colours to the 7segs. Another option is to use 4 rectangle LEDS arrainged in a + shape, will prototype and post here.

- I will not be aiming to build a exact replica of the AGC, but it will be more or less similiar. Possibly will add an extra panel to contain additional indicator lamps and switches that arn't directly part of the AGC but are driven or used by it.

Will continue all posts re the hardware version in this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61460-Apollo-Guidance-Computer-and-DSKY

Thanks,

ttb

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,

I haven't updated this for quite some time, but today is the day of the latest release! After a big chunk of work, basaGC is now updated to use Python 3. This has required a change in widget toolkit from wxPython to PyQt5. Please check the requirements as listed in the readme.

Download link is in the top post. Please feel free to test and suggest improvements and report bugfixes.

Cheers,

ttb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.