Too much armchair moderation in Suggestions and Development

Red Iron Crown

I'm seeing a lot of non-mods suggesting that threads be locked and posters banned in the Suggestions and Development when the OP posts something that has been previously discussed, particularly if its something on the Do Not Suggest or Already Suggested lists.

While I do agree that people should read the lists before posting and there is a lot of repetition in some of the suggestions, I've found that sometimes the OP is a new member who may not have the "lay of the land" down yet. It strikes me as a bit harsh and unfriendly to new users that their first contribution is shot down in so vehement a fashion.

What can be done to improve the situation?

People get really fed up of seeing suggestions that have been brought up many hundreds of times before (multiplayer, I'm looking at you) the list of what not to suggest has been renamed the Already Suggested List, in the hope that players will see that they are not the first person ever to think of such n such.

I don't know what else could be done other than a popup for all posters to the suggestions forum with a list of what's already been suggested, though most would click through it.

It's getting near to the point where we'll have to go round to peoples homes with foam cluebats, though airplaine ticket prices (currently) prevent this :)

Maybe that's part of the confusion, there's a stickied thread "Already Suggested List" and another stickied thread "What not to suggest?". Are they meant to be consolidated into one?

Honestly, though, I'm more annoyed with the calls to lock and ban than by the repetitive suggestions. The suggestors are trying to help out by offering what they think is a useful suggestion. The armchair mods are trying to...well, I'm not sure what they're trying to do.

It's called backseat moderation and it's frowned upon, there's a perfectly good report feature they can use.

The moderation team is going to have to start clamping down on this, though it's something I hoped to avoid, one idea I had was to have a megathread for each major (already suggested) suggestion, that way people can have their say and it'll be more visible.

I think it would be great if we made it a requirment to read the "What Not To Suggest" before posting a thread for the first time.

You could whiten out the button of "Create New Thread" if they haven't before, and when clicked, redirects them to the "What Not To Suggest" and has them hit a box saying "I have read and understand what features not to suggest" before letting them move on with their thread.

one idea I had was to have a megathread for each major (already suggested) suggestion, that way people can have their say and it'll be more visible.

I for one think this is a good idea and would help to organized and quantify demand for certain reoccurring ideas/suggestions.

would also help to let new fresh ideas come to the surface rather than being buried under 1000s of "moar planets!" and "FTL travel" threads. (amongst others)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.