How many of you have landed on Eve and returned?

mr_yogurt

After I finally got an Eve landing and return to work properly for the first time, I became curious as to how other people's first Eve landings and return went. So, how did your first (successful) Eve landing + return go? How did your first attempt go?

I can't figure out how to build a lander with that much delta v, let alone get it there and back. I'm at the point where I can get a probe anywhere I want in the system, but those manned returns from Eve, Moho, and Tylo have me buffaloed at the moment. This is one area I stubbornly refuse to look at YouTube or tutorials. I will figure it out, dangit!

I like to think of myself as a moderately advanced KSP player, but I've yet to accomplish this task... But I've never actually set out to do it. Landed there, sure, most people have. Never tried a return mission, though. Dat atmosphere.

Most I've done is land a few "Curiosity" style rovers and drove around a bit admiring the strangely colored sky.

I did. However, it wasn't a single craft: I landed a lander there, and then sent a return shuttle after it (both the same launch window). Having 19870 Delta-v in one non-asparagus craft seemed too... Kerbal to me.

The shuttle was in fact a 15000 Delta-v epic strong rocket with as much efficiency possible, completed in LKO and refueled using my space station.

It was a nightmare. I managed to do it third try, and it wasn't even career.

Have no problem getting there, but I've never attempted the return journey. I know from watching a few lets players do it that landing as high as possible is useful as it means you have less atmosphere to fight against, but I don't even know how I'd go about it yet. Going to do a return journey to Duna and back first.

In truth, landing on Eve is a piece of cake, it's probably the most helpful planet in the system in that respect. Getting out of the gravity well and atmosphere is a whole different challenge.

Have never been able to do it with less then 3 separate launches from Kerbal, I know it can be done with less, but in honesty, I ain't that smart LOL

Many times, my first trips used an airship to get me 20 km up before starting the rockets, later uses an lander with 45 liter tanks and 48-7S in asparagus and a kerbal on a seat.

Find Tylo harder, even Mechjeb has problems landing on it.

I've been playing KSP since .16 (I think. It's been a long time, that's for sure) and I've only very recently started thinking about visiting other planetary bodies. So Far I have a satellite around Eve and that's it. I hear landing on that particular rock can be...interesting.

I'm working on it now. I have a lander that I think will work (enough dV and TWR, my doubts are about parachutes and landing gear). Just have to design and test my transfer stage, then get everything up into orbit and fueled.

Interestingly, I've found in messing around that an asparagus-style Eve ascent vehicle can usually get itself into LKO without staging, not needing any boosters.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Specificity.

What I didn't manage yet,however, is to build an eve ascent vehicle that doesn't look like a particularly ugly oil refinery with rocket nozzles.

I don't think that's possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.