How much do YOU rely on MechJeb?

The Flitter

I use it extensively:

- I use it to design my crafts to have the right amount of dv and ttw

- I set up maneuver nodes manually and have mj execute them

- precision landings, especially if I want to have several different craft land close together, or exploring anomalies

- when im landing spaceplanes on duna/laythe/kerbin, I use the autoland feature to set up my initial retro-burn so I can get close to where I want to land, and then land manually

basically, I use it automate the tedious parts of ksp so that I can focus more on mission planning and craft design.

MechJeb?! How about real Jeb? ;D

But seriously, I've never used it... Although the readouts of real time flight data, and vessel info sounded enticing, it still feels like a lot of MechJeb's function is (and I know just saying this will invite every MechJeb fanboy down my throat feet-first, and donning crampons*) overriding any sense of justifiable accomplishment. That being said... I do use Raster Prop Monitor for real time flight information, and ScanSat for surface info... which is kind of MechJeb-y.

*And since crampon sounds so similar to a certain type of unnamed 'feminine hygiene product', here's the definition

Crampon: Obj, noun. A clawed traction assisting device that is affixed to the bottom of mountaineering boots for icy hiking, or trekking.

While I do use MechJeb automation extensively, I make it a point to execute a mission every now and then completely by hand (containing pretty much everything from launching, inclination changes, transfers to other planets, docking, landing and finally returning home) just to make sure that if I didn't have MJ, I still could do everything I use MJ for (being covenience over doing repetitive things ad nauseum [and more precisely]).

The most "important" thing I use MJ for, even for manual mission, is Staging dV info and t/w ratios while constructing.

It's a useful tool.

Mechjeb taught me how to rendezvous and dock. I do it myself now that I know how. Mostly because I find that part satisfying.

Primarily, mechjeb is my 'make a circular orbit here' button. I can do it myself, I'm just sick of it at this point. Heck, I can plot a better circle myself most times. Doesn't make it fun though.

When I had to fly six tankers of fuel to an overly complicated interplanetary ship, mechjeb did the milk runs while I was watching videos.

I mainly use Kerbal Engineer for building and flight instrumentation, but MJ goes along for the ride so I can skip the boring routine and concentrate on watching my ship explode in novel circumstances only.

I used it for TWR and DV numbers while building. Then I started letting it do launches, partly to see what ascent profile it would use. I also liked to let it set up maneuver nodes which I would then adjust to my liking. It basically lightened the workload a bit.

Then came a new version, and I installed Kerbal Engineer instead of MJ and haven't really looked back. Haven't run into any situations where I wish I still had it installed.

Mech Jeb? HA HAAA hAAAaa (tear) HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA LOLZ...........HA

I have never even been to the mech jeb page on the forums.

I dont trust robots to fly giant missi.... I mean space craft around . Never know if its learning new crap without you.

Mech Jeb The beginning, the baby steps of terminator. :)

I never figured out why MechJeb was so interesting or useful. since I started using FAR I haven't built anything truly hard to control. of course I do mess up my fair share of maneuvers when I'm not paying attention or timewarping too much.

As I stated earlier, I have never used MechJeb personally, but I can see where it would be attractive to people with a different playstyle. I personally enjoy handling all the minor details myself, but I I could see where it would make the game more enjoyable for someone who (for example) didn't care so much about handling the mechanics of launches directly but wanted to build huge space stations and send colonists to other planets. It would make the game less of a simulator style and more of a 4X style (At the moment only 2X, or possibly 3X with one of the resource mods). Nothing wrong with playing like that, KSP is a sandbox after all.

While I do use MechJeb automation extensively, I make it a point to execute a mission every now and then completely by hand (containing pretty much everything from launching, inclination changes, transfers to other planets, docking, landing and finally returning home) just to make sure that if I didn't have MJ, I still could do everything I use MJ for (being covenience over doing repetitive things ad nauseum [and more precisely]).

The most "important" thing I use MJ for, even for manual mission, is Staging dV info and t/w ratios while constructing.

Ah, another MechJeb thread. See, this here is pretty much spot on how I use MechJeb. Why waste the RAM on multiple mods? MechJeb does exactly what KER, Protractor, and kOS without the programming. I honestly don't understand the elitist attitude when it come to using MechJeb. Just play the game.

I don't use Mechjeb.

I've been everywhere but Eeloo without ever using it.

I do use a combination of Precisenode (which basically just gives you fine control over manouver nodes and tells you your ejection angle) and Alexmoon's interplanetary transfer calculator web-tool for making good hoffman transfers, but other that that I do it all myself.

• 4 months later...
i learned a lot with mechjeb in the old days.

today i use MJ either as precision instrument or as automation of stupid stuff:

calculator in VAB, target data, exact orbit data (are 100% circular in KSO?), smart ass for ascent and docking, and maneuver autopilot for long burns or if i want to make myself a coffee.

Language, mate.

EDIT: oh lawdy i necroed I am so sorry.

Edited by KittyProgram
necro

I've never once used Mechjeb. When i first learned of it, i thought it would take all the fun out of actually doing the difficult bits. Ive never ever felt the need to install it since i started playing KSP.

I don't use Mechjeb, i don't see it as cheating or anything else, its just that it takes all the fun of landing on other bodies (Yes... I only landed on the Mun, Minmus, Duna, Eve (cheating though...), and Laythe), docking and all that fun stuff.

I would use it to know true altitude, horizontal speed and that stuff, but why waste RAM while other mods do the same without autopilot? :sticktongue:

I do everything manually, but do have a bunch of plugins installed that give me a lot of information stock KSP doesn't give me. So, i'm not using an autopilot, but i do use non-stock information.

Though, i really wish there were a lightweight plugin, that does nothing more than point at a certain direction. It's the one trivial act i really could use some automation for: Simply changing heading to prograde, retrograde, normal, antinormal and so on. Though, i don't want to install something as gigantic as mechjeb just for such trivial tasks.

I often let MJ do my ascents (from Kerbin, not usually from other bodies), and occasionally let it set up my circularization burns. Other than that, I use it for the stage-by-stage dV numbers in the VAB (is there an addon that gives that without requiring me to place a part?).

MJ has failed me more often that it has succeeded in performing landings, dockings, and interplanetary transfers. I never even bother asking it for suggestions, now. I let AlexMoon's tool do the math, and work out the node myself.

VOID gives me as much orbital/etc info as MJ, and does it in a less intrusive way.

I will also say this. Going through BTSM in 0.23.5 made me a better player. It's an educational experience, and something about it is weird, making MJ consume monoprop whenever it's "engaged", executing a node, holding a heading, or whatever, and since reaction wheels are essentially useless, and all your maneuvering is done via monoprop, you can't have MJ go around wasting it rolling you back and forward for minutes at a time.

I let it do everything for me and then manually fix so that you don`t crash into a moon with a hohmann transfer.

I let it land because it can aim better then me, wich comes in handy when you want to land next to other crafts/base.

Landing at the vab because I keep overhsooting or fall short.

Orbital rendezvous because MJ does it right in 1 time while I`m being more carefull and take 10x the time.

Docking, I simply hate it...

Career I do it all myself as MJ isn`t unlocked, just takes more time and can`t watch tv while it does the things I tell it to do :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.