[1.8.x-1.10.x] SmokeScreen 2.8.14 - Extended FX plugin (18 April 2020)

sarbian

• 2 months later...

I intend to update the effect of the kodiak engine (or any engine I plan to use in tight clusters).

As the engines are tightly together I thought about saving particles by having less emissions per engine but some random component in z to maintain a continuous overall flow.

I believe random cone emit or initial offset only works in x and y.

How can I do something like this in z?

Edit N°2 and probably best solution: Using a plume with "partTransform" instead of   "thrustTransform" in the case of the Kodiak for aspects of the plume that can be merged across all 4 nozzles. 

Edit N°1 (original experiment):

From my short test (and maybe this interests someone else):

• vRandPosOffset
    • Spawns the particle somewhere between the original emission point and the selected offset (in m)
    • The particles all have the same speed and travel in the same direction - it looks more or less uniform (with some randomness)
  • randConeEmit
    • All particles spawn at the original emission point (so it looks pulsed in the first few meters)
    • Particles seem to spawn at different speed and overtake each other and also travel in slightly different directions
      • An alternative that also leads to blurring of the original pulsed emission but looks a bit wilder and flame like as particles which are at different decay stages and very different speeds

Here a picture on how this looks if emission is set very low on a Kodiak (1 engine 4 nozzles that "pulse" at the same time)

OFFHssS.jpg

Another picture of 5 Kodiaks confirms that randConeEmit gives you a flame like effect whereas with vRandPosOffset it looks more stream like.

With high emission rates I prefer the normal look but if reduced emission rates are needed some randomness with vRandPosOffset gives engine clusters an acceptable look in my opinion.

The only down side is that randomness can "break* the stream look. Another solution would be to have the particles within a multi-nozzle engine spread out similar to the "declutter" effect instead of spawning all together in a big blob but this is probably no achievable with configuration only?

dfuCsG8.jpg

Edited by Alioth81

What is the hotkey for Smokescreen?  I hit it by accident now and then and have no idea how to make the config screen go away.  I don't even have a reason to use the config screen in game, is there a way I can disable it?

Edited by darthgently

On 12/4/2020 at 12:35 AM, hemeac said:

@darthgently, should be Alt+p

Ok, that explains it.  The default mod key on linux is right shift, so it is probably when I'm typing cap P in a kOS popup terminal that it is happening.  At the time I'm busy typing and because of lag I couldn't figure out what was happening.  I'd really like to move my 'mod' key to the unused 'windows' key on my machine but when I've asked how to refer to this key in the KSP settings file I got no response.  And I don't know why only some mods seem to listen to the keyboard while I'm typing into a kOS popup terminal while KSP and the vast majority of mods ignore it, but HullCam also triggers on keystrokes in these windows.  HullCam is reading the keyboard directly rather than using higher level methods.  Maybe SmokeScreen is doing the same.  Thanks for the info.  Is there a way to change the SmokeScreen hotkey?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, bitbyte said:

I'm an experienced C# developer and I'm interested in helping out with this project and making it compatible with the newest KSP version. How can I help?

Something is not working with the current KSP ? The Unity version did not change in a while so it should still work fine.

I'm wondering if this is expected behaviour...

If i have max particles set to the default 1,000, I get a very nice long smoke trail.

If I set it to 10,000, my trail gets a big gap near the beginning, and then starts to trickle back in. The actual count seems capped at 1,400?

https://imgur.com/a/PCZTKcR

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zbsamp4bpq298w/KSP.log?dl=0

Edited by shelshok
Log

• 3 months later...

Hello there,

I´m having an issue with flames in rockets, no flames at all, I have reinstalled real plumes manually and with Ckan with no changes,  any clue for where to look for to fix the issue would be great.

this the ksp log  https://www.mediafire.com/file/2n40xpniax9aq6g/KSP.log/file

thanks in advance

Edit: Solved

Mario

Edited by Makrom
found a solution

• 1 year later...

Hi! Is there any options to add shadows to the smoke trail? My GPU can carry more load :rolleyes: Thank you

Edit: Is it possible to modify the original smoke clouds texture? Is it driven by waterfall now? How can i change the "collide = False" in the CFG for all boosters?

Also i want to leave a sugestion. 
If it's not possible to use volumetric clouds (i'm totally ignorant about this) maybe you can use a clearer texture, the shadow could be adjusted a little more cause in the night the smoke persist all over the trail (third image), it looks nice but not very real, cause it's supposed to be darker as it's further from the original light source (which is the plume emission fx). The thing that it's a line without particles exhaust makes it unesthetic. I know i'm using a high number of particles, but i see the rockets i'm using in this try are limited to 1000 particles, even with this the performance is great, congrats!

A simple fix would be to add a exahust effect and combine a few textures? And what about using a copy of waterfall's plume to using it's lights between smoke particles?
Example #1 (combination between waterfall and smoke particles)

ballistic-launch-rocket.jpg?s=612x612&w=

Example #2 (better fading out of the particles)

rocket-smoke-night-starry-sky-space-dark

KSP long trail (need some better particle disipation and perform better visual collision)

SyiM2Iq.png

79QftMW.png

KSP- Detail (this one looks great, as long as you don't zoom out)

4SojzxC.png

Ksp- Black background (the end trail could be exhausted for better feeling, cause the dissipation is far away as the smoke should persist over the time, except in high atmosphere. correct me if i'm wrong)

Edited by NaviG

• 3 months later...

Is there a way to make adjustments over the life of the particle?

For example, I assumed the time curve would allow me to change the alpha over the life of each particle, but it just repeats for all particles at the same time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.