[1.8.x-1.10.x] SmokeScreen 2.8.14 - Extended FX plugin (18 April 2020)

sarbian

Err :( I spent so much time testing smoke that I did not test engines in orbit...

I have a good idea of why it's doing that. New version tonight most likely.

I am also getting the weird flame effect that 'NoMrBond' is getting

here is a video from when i started career mode as an example

Mod list:

• 6S Service Compartment Tubes 1.2

• Achievements 1.6.0

• Active Texture Management 3.1 (AGRESSIVE)

• Ambient Light Adjustment 1.1.0

• Aviation Lights 3.6

• B9 Aerospace Pack R4.0c (With Raven's Patch)

• Cargo Transfer and Tanks 0.6.1

• Chatterer 0.5.9.3

• Circular Panels v2 (with Modified Textures)

• CoolRockets! 0.4

• Distant Object Enhancement 1.3

• DMagic Orbital Science 0.8

• Docking Port Alignment Indicator 3.1

• Editor Extensions 1.1

• Enhanced NavBall 1.2

• Environmental Visual Enhancement 7.3 (High Res)

• FASA Launch Towers 3.85

• Firespitter 6.3

• HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement 7.1

• Hullcam VDS 0.2.9.5

• Hyperedit 1.2.4.2

• Infernal Robotics Parts Pack 0.15

• Kerbal Alarm Clock 2.7.2.0

• Kerbal Attachment System 0.4.7

• Kerbal Dust Experiment 1.01

• Kerbal Joint Reinforcement 2.3

• KerbQuake 1.21

• Kethane 0.8.5

• KOSMOS Space Station Parts Pack R4.7.2 (With NoMrBond's TechTree Integration Config File)

• KSP Interstellar 0.11

• KSPRC 0.1.515

• KSPX 0.2.6.1

• KW Rocketry 2.5.6B

• Lazor Docking Cam 17.04.14

• LCD - Launch CountDown 1.7.1

• MechJeb 2.2.1

• Modular Fuel Tanks 4.3

• Module Manager 2.1.0

• NovaPunch 2.03.5

• Procedural Fairing 3.01

• Quantum Struts Continued 27/02/2014 (With Edited Textures)

• RasterPropMonitor 0.16

• RealChute Parachute Systems 1.1.0.1

• Scan Sat Build 6

• SDHI Service Module System 1.9

• SmokeScreen 2.0

• Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack 3.12

• TAC Life Support 0.8.0.4

• Taurus HCV 1.0.1

• Texture Replacer 1.5

• Toolbar 1.7.1

• Tree Loader 1.0

• Universal Storage 0.62

• Wheel Sounds 0.5

• Universal Storage 0.62

Ok, here is 2.0.1 with the engine problem fixed and a new "force" curve for those who could need it.

Does this fix the "unable to revert" error reported in the Hotrockets! thread as well or is that one still being looked into?

Does this fix the "unable to revert" error reported in the Hotrockets! thread as well or is that one still being looked into?

Since no one reported it here I can hardly tell if it's fixed.

Since no one reported it here I can hardly tell if it's fixed.

Reposting this here as well.

I'll need the engine model used when you had the problem. The log is telling me where the problem is, so it should be a quick fix once I'm back from work.

The boosters on the side use the Kerbodyne KR-2L Advanced Engine, the main stage has The Matriarch (5 meter) from NP.

-edit to add-

It's shortly after the boosters separate off when the issue starts.

Can you try with this build and tell me if it's better ?

If not then could you put the ship file somewhere and tell me how to duplicate the error ?

Just saw this (go go forum downtime). I'll be able to give this a try tomorrow and will let you know.

Thanks!

--edit-- Had a bit of time so tried this tonight, same issues. The craft file I'm having issues with has a bunch of mod parts. I tried to create a craft using only stock parts that would recreate this issue but I haven't had any success.

http://www.kaijin.com/hosted/Kethane_ScanOreSat_3.zip

This has ScanSat, Kethane, Ore detection (from Extraplanetary Launchpads), GoodSpeed science parts, GoodSpeed radial decouplers, uses Procedural fairings and some KW parts as well.

mod_list.png

To recreate the issue, load this craft up in the VAB, click launch, use MechJeb to handle the launch, 100KM orbit, 0 inclination, launch parameters, 0.9 start turn, 60km end, 0 end angle, 0.4 shape. Let MechJeb manage staging and limit it to the bottom couple of stages. During stage separation of the radial boosters, they'll collide into stuff and blow up, there are a couple errors generated in the debug log at that point, but I could still revert if I wanted. After they get > 2.3KM away, they get "saved for orbit" and the NPE spam starts. I hope this helps in some way.

Edited by pantheis

I'll won't be able to test until monday at the soonest.

I worked on an other version yesterday, so you could try with that one too. I changed a few things related to how the effect works when part get on rail (the "saved for orbit" part).

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/SmokeScreen/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/jenkins-SmokeScreen-17/SmokeScreen-2.1.0.0.zip

I wanted to release it today, but I'll wait until this bug is solved

I'll won't be able to test until monday at the soonest.

I worked on an other version yesterday, so you could try with that one too. I changed a few things related to how the effect works when part get on rail (the "saved for orbit" part).

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/SmokeScreen/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/jenkins-SmokeScreen-17/SmokeScreen-2.1.0.0.zip

I wanted to release it today, but I'll wait until this bug is solved

I tried the new version but the test rocket is still having issues.

I took a couple of screenshots. The first one shows the errors that happen right after separation when they collide with the tail of the main stage and the boosters explode. I'm not sure if the error generated in this one is related or starts a process that causes the NPE later. I know that not all of my rockets cause issues and I'm beginning to think it has something to do with parts being destroyed when they separate, then later get put on rails.

haxSQp2l.png

This one shows the NPE spam that starts after their debris travels about 2.5KM away and gets put on rails.

iGDdcHJl.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Excuse my ignorance but, how do I make the smoke particles collide with the launch pad?
How do I make this mod show smoke on the launchpad exhaust sections?

Code for this is in the post I quoted in my post here. Although, I still have not heard back on how to fix the particles, as plugging the effects code straight in didn't work, unless I did something wrong.

Sarbian, I got a mess of these errors after I watched a service section disintegrate behind a descending pod today:

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.GameObject:get_transform ()^M
at PersistentEmitterManager.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I couldn't begin to tell you why that happened, but here's a log in case it's useful: http://ksp.hawkbats.com/output_log_44b752.txt.xz

Looks like it could be fairly easily worked around by some exception handling, but if there's a Better Way, I'm sure you'll find it. :) Let me know how I can help!

It looks like the issue reported by pantheis I should have fixed a month ago but life got in the way ...

I don't really have the time to properly look into it this week, but I made a quick change to the code and this should work ...

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/SmokeScreen%20Dev/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/jenkins-SmokeScreen-12/SmokeScreen-dev-12.zip

It looks like the issue reported by pantheis I should have fixed a month ago but life got in the way ...

I don't really have the time to properly look into it this week, but I made a quick change to the code and this should work ...

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/SmokeScreen%20Dev/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/jenkins-SmokeScreen-12/SmokeScreen-dev-12.zip

It indeed seems to happen when something that has produced smoke particles goes on-rails and gets removed by the game. I tried a few simple tests with the Dev 12 version, version 2.0.1, as well as the version that HotRockets comes with, and they all generate the same NPE spam.

Here's a log file and small example craft, hope it's of any use. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewa04f10bfz0pve/KSP%20Testing.rar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.