[1.8.x-1.10.x] SmokeScreen 2.8.14 - Extended FX plugin (18 April 2020)

sarbian

• 1 month later...

Trying to generate smoke trails that cone out behind the rocket and look as if to volumetrically fill all the space lower in the trail whilst keeping small and compact near the tip of the rocket exhaust jet. I have the spread working with the smoke particles but I cannot get the particle size to grow the further down the plume. I cannot see a way to make the energy function a variable within the size function as this would be what I am trying to achieve but then the grow functions work in this way anyway. However, I cannot get my head around the grow functions properly.

If I am starting off with a small particle and want it to dramatically increase in size over the course of the particles life, would this be the correct way in formatting it?

grow
{
power = 0 0
power = 1 1
}

My smoke particle has an energy duration of 6 seconds so the above would say that at the end of the particle animation at 100% throttle the particle is going to be 16x larger than the standard particle size? When I put this in game the grow function seems to be having no effect though. What am I doing wrong?

First use the in game UI to do your config and see the result live. Use the "Rebuild" button to generate a config with all the default value shown.

Look at the sizeClamp value to see if it's why you don't see a change

Thanks for the point towards the UI in-game editing. It really helps you visualise what you are doing within the config along with having Unity open to generate key curves.

P.S. If anyone is struggling to edit the particles through config text, as above, install the Toolbar plugin and edit the particle effects in game.

I can't seem to get the particle effect UI to open :(. I have toolbar and I can open the smokescreen window but the bottom line just reads "Open ModelMultiParticlePersistFX UI:" and the rest is blank.

That either means that none of the engines on the active vessel have MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST nodes applied, or there's an issue in your config that is preventing the node from being applied.

Check back through your part config or the module manager config that is applying the effects and make sure nothing is missing or would make the MM format incomplete.

Ok, using hotrockets as scratch I've created a new "zero" config that I like for a SRB. So I rebuild the config and when I restart KSP the new SRB effects is On from the begining and it's replaced by the stock fx when I launch it. Anybody knows what I'm doing wrong here?

If I remember correctly this happens when the effect name is not the same as the one in the ModuleEngineFX or when an effect is duplicated.

Did you use MM to patch the effect ? From the spaceport pen the menu with ALT F11 and use the dump button to check your patched SRB config (it should dump into KSP/_MMCfgOutput/)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to troubleshoot something that keeps hanging up my games. I see this in the log which seems to implicate SmokeScreen, but I don't know enough about the log and error syntax to really isolate the problem. I wouldn't be surprised to find it be an issue with another mod. Any help interpreting this or suggestions how to further troubleshoot would be appreciated.

[LOG 20:18:51.566] [SmokeScreen PersistentEmitterManager] : OnSceneChange
[EXC 20:18:51.567] NullReferenceException
ContractsApp.HideTemp ()
ApplicationLauncher.Hide ()
ApplicationLauncher.OnSceneLoadRequested (GameScenes scene)
EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)
HighLogic.LoadScene (GameScenes scene)
AltimeterSliderButtons.returnToSpaceCenter ()
ScreenSafeUIButton.OnMouseUp (Boolean rightClick)
ScreenSafeUIButton.OnMouseUp ()
SSUICamera.DoMouseEvents ()
SSUICamera.Update ()
[EXC 20:18:51.569] NullReferenceException
ModelMultiParticlePersistFX.Update ()
[EXC 20:18:51.569] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:51.614] NullReferenceException
PersistentKSPParticleEmitter.EmitterOnUpdate (Vector3 emitterWorldVelocity)
ModelMultiParticlePersistFX.FixedUpdate ()
[EXC 20:18:51.614] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:51.625] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:51.625] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:51.634] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:51.634] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:51.644] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:51.644] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:51.652] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:51.653] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:52.143] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:52.143] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:52.154] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:52.154] NullReferenceException
[EXC 20:18:52.164] NullReferenceException
PersistentKSPParticleEmitter.EmitterOnUpdate (Vector3

It would be better if you put the whole log somewhere. I can't tell if SmokeScreen started cleaning the emitter before the error started here. If the emitter were cleaned the message are harmless (but I should make sure they are not here), if not then it could be why you had your freeze.

I didn't save the full log file, but I have another with the same error at the link below. Search for the first instance of "Vector3 emitterWorldVelocity" to get to the right area.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw61KzLH-XE0VXVSMGxleXBKLTA/view?usp=sharing

This one seems to show HotRockets calling SmokeScreen right before the end when the game becomes unresponsive.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone knows how to get rig of this effect, the fire and smoke misalignment?

ksp-2014-11-19-21-20-02-69.png?w=1200

I've thought about making initial air resistance zero and then gradually making it same as before as plume moves away from the rocket. Would give nice curved smoke.

Now the question: How to implement it?

And yes, I am talking of particles in terms of Dice's Refractor 2 (battlefield 2) engine - have lots of experience with it. Tried above method in that engine as well - works nicely.

The difference comes from the fact that the exhaust plume is drawn in a coordinate system local to the ship while the smoke is drawn in a world coordinate system.

There is bunch of parameter you can use to move the start of the smoke plume. As explained in the first post there is an UI to edit all those, you just need blizzy toolbar to open it.

I've found a bug with either SmokeScreen or HotRockets I'm not sure. The "Rockomax 24-77" (small radial orange engine) spawns on load with full engine effects and they don't disappear when I stage or throttle them up/down. If this is an issue with SmokeScreen, do you know how I would fix this (other then deleting/disabling the FX for this engine)?

I've found a bug with either SmokeScreen or HotRockets I'm not sure. The "Rockomax 24-77" (small radial orange engine) spawns on load with full engine effects and they don't disappear when I stage or throttle them up/down. If this is an issue with SmokeScreen, do you know how I would fix this (other then deleting/disabling the FX for this engine)?

It's not a bug,there are no bugs here.Look at hotrockets thread for your answer :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, kinda stupid question when everyone is writing their own configs, but does anyone have a SmokeScreen config for the NASA SRB that I can use? cause I don't know how to setup SmokeScreen configs to get that satisfying launch smoke. I am now using HotRockets, but there is no launch smoke for the NASA SRB in that mod. I tried copying the config from another booster, but it just won't work. It will display the modded rocket flame before I activate the booster, and there is no launch smoke. After activating the booster, the stock smoke displays instead of what I want.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.