[1.8.x-1.10.x] SmokeScreen 2.8.14 - Extended FX plugin (18 April 2020)

sarbian

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I somehow got it mostly working in 1.51 after having no plumes at all last try. However using the realplume config some plumes start a little too high (inside the engine) for example the stock engine swivel LV-T45. Is there an easy way for me to edit files to fix this?

I've attached the fixed version that I made using the in game editor. Can I save this in the game files to fix it permanently? 

Spoiler

transformName = thrustTransform
localRotation = 0,0,0
localPosition = 0,0,0.5
fixedScale = 0.25
energy = 0.6
speed = 1
emissionMult = 0.5
name = plume
modelName = RealPlume/MP_Nazari_FX/KWbooster
fixedEmissions = false
sizeClamp = 50
randomInitalVelocityOffsetMaxRadius = 2
randConeEmit
{
  density = 1.0 0
  density = 0.25 1
  density = 0.06 1.4
  density = 0 1.6
}
logGrow
{
  density = 1.0 1
  density = 0.2 1
  density = 0.1 7
  density = 0.0 2
}
logGrowScale
{
  density = 1.0 1
  density = 0.8 1
  density = 0.46 1.3
  density = 0.2 2
  density = 0.1 4
  density = 0.0 5
}
linGrow
{
  density = 1.0 -0.2
  density = 0.25 0
  density = 0.07 4
  density = 0.035 12
  density = 0.0 25
}
speed
{
  density = 1.0 5
  density = 0.46 5
  density = 0.2 5
  density = 0.1 8
  density = 0.05 8
  density = 0.01 6
  density = 0.0 4
}
xyForce
{
  density = 1 0.4
  density = 0.25 0.6
  density = 0.06 0.75
  density = 0.01 0.85
  density = 0 1
}
zForce
{
  density = 1 1
  density = 0.2 1.02
  density = 0 1.033
}
emission
{
  density = 1.0 10
  density = 0.5 10
  density = 0.2 12
  density = 0.1 9
  density = 0.07 7
  density = 0.035 15
  density = 0.01 15
  density = 0.0  13
  power = 1 1
  power = 0.01 0.2
  power = 0 0
}
energy
{
  density = 1.0 0.75
  density = 0.3 0.75
  density = 0.2 0.7
  density = 0.07 0.65
  density = 0.035 0.25
  density = 0.0 0.2
}
size
{
  density = 1.0 1
  density = 0.8 0.9
  density = 0.2 0.85
  density = 0.06 0.7
  density = 0.01 0.6
  density = 0.0 0.4
}

Edited by nsgallup

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, hieywiey said:

Is there a patch for 1.5.1? I am unable to find one on any of the previous pages.

For ? This is just a plugin that Hotrockets or Realplume uses patch for what ?

EDIT- And forgot there was cool rockets

Edited by Mecripp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, infinite_monkey said:

I'm getting logtrash:

DivideByZeroException: Division by zero
	SmokeScreen.SmokeScreenConfig.UpdateParticlesCount ()
	ModelMultiShurikenPersistFX.FixedUpdate ()

Now I'm not sure if it is because I'm running on 1.6.1, ora broken mod, or because I messed up a RealPlume config

In the SmokeScreen.cfg do you have maximumActiveParticles set to 0 ?

23 hours ago, sarbian said:

In the SmokeScreen.cfg do you have maximumActiveParticles set to 0 ?

It was :-o Thanks!

I was playing around with the config GUI, apparently I left the setting at 0. Maybe that should be made impossible, or the division by 0 should be prevented?

Edited by infinite_monkey

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 12:39 PM, mccdtk said:

I've checked, it does work with 1.5.1 but unfortunately it does not work with 1.6.1

Seems to work for me on 1.6.1 with the RealPlume - Stock configurations and this edition of Smoke Screen. I'm editing a video now that runs on KSP 1.6.1 and the RP plumes are working, even for my jet plume hacks on Explodium Breathing Engines.

• 2 weeks later...

@sarbian

I was experimenting with adding RealPlume effects to RCS thrusters, and noticed the soundFX is only played when translating forward unlike the now stock RCS soundFX which play whenever RCS is active. I tried renaming the AUDIO node to AUDIO_MULTI_POOL and adding transformName, but that resulted in no soundFX. It seems like a choice between MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST and AUDIO_MULTI_POOL as I couldn't get them to work together. Just wondered if this is intended. Thanks!

15 hours ago, Svm420 said:

@sarbian

I was experimenting with adding RealPlume effects to RCS thrusters, and noticed the soundFX is only played when translating forward unlike the now stock RCS soundFX which play whenever RCS is active. I tried renaming the AUDIO node to AUDIO_MULTI_POOL and adding transformName, but that resulted in no soundFX. It seems like a choice between MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST and AUDIO_MULTI_POOL as I couldn't get them to work together. Just wondered if this is intended. Thanks!

Why did you do exactly ? You took the stock RCSBlock config and replaced the MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE with MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST  ? I do not see why this would not work

NVM... I figured out it was me forgot to do this transformName = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-OMS-White]/transformName$ instead of setting it to the wrong name entirely. So no problems everything works as expected. Thanks anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

@sarbian

Apologies for bugging you, but I'm trying to find out a bit more detailed information on how you got the Shuriken particles working in KSP using .mu models.  From reading the source-code (if I'm interpreting it correctly), the .mu models are no longer utilized actively for particles, and are instead mostly used to read in some of the old emitter values to use with the new system.   https://github.com/sarbian/SmokeScreen/blob/master/ModelMultiShurikenPersistFX.cs#L558-L660

Basically I'm trying to find the 'easiest' way to get Shuriken particles out of Unity editor and into KSP (currently for some effects for use in KSPWheel / Kerbal Foundries).  I tried compiling to a .mu using a PartTools, but examining of the model reveals that the particle system is not saved in the model.  Other options would be trying to export/import using AssetBundles, or coming up with some purely config-based system to export from Unity and import into KSP to define the particle parameters.

Does SmokeScreen allow for creation of a particle entirely from config, or is there still a model of some sort needed (and for what?/how to make them)?

Any information you are willing to share would be appreciated;

54 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Other options would be trying to export/import using AssetBundles, or coming up with some purely config-based system to export from Unity and import into KSP to define the particle parameters. 

Asset bundle is the solution I was thinink about. I would have to make some new SS effect to handle them. I ll try to have something basic in the week.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:40 PM, sarbian said:

Asset bundle is the solution I was thinink about. I would have to make some new SS effect to handle them. I ll try to have something basic in the week.

After some recent testing I can confirm that it does work to pack the particles from Unity into an AssetBundle, and read/load/import that into KSP.  A bit more work from there to get them to be able to be loaded through the EFFECTS from the part configs, but certainly possible (have a working basic implementation for my own uses).  I haven't encountered any surprises so far, but I'm still pretty early in my investigations.

For SmokeScreen I'm sure that you will have a bit more setup work in order to interact with all the atmo curves and other supported functions, and settle upon some well defined asset bundle configurations (naming/extensions, one model-per/multi-models, etc), but seems like it will be entirely possible to support at some point if you desired.

Thanks for the info, and hope the above is of some use to you :)

On 3/6/2019 at 1:53 AM, Shadowmage said:

After some recent testing I can confirm that it does work to pack the particles from Unity into an AssetBundle, and read/load/import that into KSP.

I wrote something but I could use a model to test it since I am a bit busy with  getting ready for a trip in a few days.

30 minutes ago, sarbian said:

I wrote something but I could use a model to test it since I am a bit busy with  getting ready for a trip in a few days.

I'll put together something simple for you to use for testing based on one of my working examples.  Will be an asset bundle with a single model (+material + texture); should be able to load the bundle, instantiate a copy of the prefab, and put the copy into use.  Will also provide a link to my rough-draft 'working' code in case that is of any use.  Should be able to have something for you here in a few hours as soon as I get home from work...

From my testing it seems to 'just work'.  The instantiated effects can be placed into the part-model hierarchy, and the effects started/stopped as needed through the ParticleSystem component.  The effects look exactly as they did when I was playing with them in the Unity Editor and seem to export/import without issues.  I have not yet investigated dynamic runtime adjustment of emitter properties to correspond with the 'effect power' used by the stock EFFECTS system, but it looks like you already have that part sorted out in SmokeScreen.

Apologies for not getting to this yesterday...

Here is a compiled asset bundle containing a single GameObject prefab with a ParticleSystem component on it.  It should also include the material and texture in the bundle:  https://github.com/shadowmage45/KerbalFoundries2/blob/dev/GameData/KerbalFoundries/Effects/KF-APUSmoke.kfx

Here is the code that I'm using to load and instantiate the particles.  Its still what I would call a prototype; functional but unrefined.  Notably it reloads the bundle from disk for every particle with no attempt to cache the prefabs, nor is there any sort of handling for emitter destruction or floating origin shifts.

https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/blob/dev/VSProject/KSPWheel/Effects/KSPWheelParticleEffect.cs

Finally it is used in this config through the EFFECTS system (note textureName is defined in the config... but not used by the plugin code; only transform and model need to be specified for this barebones implementation)

https://github.com/shadowmage45/KerbalFoundries2/blob/dev/GameData/KerbalFoundries/Parts/KF-APU.cfg#L54-L59

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.