[1.8.x-1.10.x] SmokeScreen 2.8.14 - Extended FX plugin (18 April 2020)

sarbian

11 hours ago, sarbian said:

Yes, as long as you define the effect on the part then you can call it like that.

Alright the good news that at real time, everything works as it should be

iCk84C0.png

However, once I active timewarp, the exhaust effect becomes weird, the higher timewarp gets:

h6RgxOE.png

gfuhX9R.png

7xRygo1.png

So it seems as if smokescreen does no cleanup/refresh when timewarp is activated.

Is there any way to counter this?

Edited by FreeThinker

Hi, I'm having an issue trying to get this mod to work.  The overlay for it isn't showing up at all on my screen when launching rockets (no "Smk Scrn" button).  I've pretty much tried everything I can think of to get this working, but no luck.  I've tried with KSP ver 1.6.1 all the way up to the most recent, ver 2.8.2 of SmokeScreen to the most recent, with various other mods, and on a clean install.  I tried installing SmokeScreen through mods that are dependent like RealPlume and still no luck.  I'm all out of ideas.  Let me know if I can provide anything to help figure this out. Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out.  This mod needs the Toolbars mod to gain access to the SmokeScreen UI.  Unfortunately this isn't mentioned anywhere as a necessary mod and isn't included as a dependency in CKAN either.  By sheer luck I saw a comment mentioning both SmokeScreen and Toolbars mod in the same comment and decided to try that.

Edited by crobemeister

• 1 month later...

Hi @sarbian just wanted to follow up on our earlier discussion about setting decluster/emitOnUpdate. I'm now maintaining RealPlume and so have been looking at a bunch of different plumes and so far I still havent seen emitOnUpdate break any plumes severely. However forcing emitOnUpdate can in a lot of instances cause the apparent position of the plume to change causing plumes to move too far inside the engine bell. 

Given the number of existing configs out there maybe it might not be such a good idea to force emitOnUpdate on by default in the next update like you said you were planning. I will look through the existing plume prefabs and add it in to those that benefit without affecting the positioning. In addition all the new plumes I added to RealPlume core are using the new features.

Edited by Zorg

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

Given the number of existing configs out there maybe it might not be such a good idea to force emitOnUpdate on by default in the next update like you said you were planning.

Thanks for the feedback. I have an update I forgot to push that should come soon but it does not include any change related to that. And I am thinking about what 1.8 could help with for Smokescreen now so I will not change that :)

On 8/14/2019 at 9:06 PM, FreeThinker said:

Is there any way to counter this?

I finally remembered that I had to do this and it should work better with 2.8.6. I did not have anything to test the fix so hopefully it will do.

It also includes other fix that were made with emitOnUpdate a while ago and that I also forgot to release... Shame on me.

So here is SmokeScreen-2.8.6.0.zip

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Stock KSP 1.8.1, modded (no RSS, no Firespitter, or similar mods, no Restock), latest Smokescreen 2.8.8.0 (in combination with Real Plume 13.1.0 and Real Plume Stock Configs 3.0.1) causes no visible plumes at all, after reverting to 2.8.7.0 everything works fine again.

Edited by VoidSquid

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've downloaded the latest version of the mod from Ckan but can't figure out how to modify the pre-set configs of my engines. I'm especially talking about hybrid/turboramjet engines such as the RAPIER and the Whiplash. When opening the Smokescreen user interface, I just cannot modify the parameters such as position offset, rotation and whatnot. Nothing happens when I click on "Apply" and the parameters revert back to their previous value when I click on the "rebuild" button.

See this video for instance around the 40 seconds mark:

Edited by Kerburettor

6 minutes ago, Kerburettor said:

Nothing happens when I click on "Apply" and the parameters revert back to their previous value when I click on the "rebuild" button.

Not all parameters can be edited live. The main use of the UI is to test the curves configuration, which are lower in the config (emission, ...). 

Rebuild create a full config so it is normal that it resets the values.

2 hours ago, sarbian said:

Not all parameters can be edited live. The main use of the UI is to test the curves configuration, which are lower in the config (emission, ...). 

Rebuild create a full config so it is normal that it resets the values.

Thanks for your answer. I've just tried to modify the curve handles under "emission", "energy" and even "speed" and it yields the same result: nothing happens. I've also tried another engine (the KS25 vector engine) and still nothing.

I thought it was probably due to me launching from the runway so I switched to the launchpad, in vain.

I was following the same procedures as shown in this video:

and apparently this person manages to get visual stuff happen when he changes the values of some fields such as "randomInitialVelocityOffsetMaxRadius".

I'm using realplumes stock for the configs. Is that potentially a reason why there is no change in terms of visual effects?

Edited by Kerburettor

17 hours ago, Kerburettor said:

I'm using realplumes stock for the configs. Is that potentially a reason why there is no change in terms of visual effects?

No, it should work fine. Is this on KSP 1.8 ? I ll try to look into it in the weekend. Feel free to quote me here so I get a reminder in my mail

Thank you for your availability! I'm playing KSP 1.8 with 6 mods (as indicated by my GameData folder): kOS, Smokescreen, Clickthroughblocker, Blizzy's toolbar, Real Plume and Real Plume Stock. I installed them with Ckan, and made sure that they were all compatible with v1.8 only. Actually only 4 of those are displayed as "installed" in Ckan, Real Plume and Real Plume Stock are found in the "cached" section, and I'm not sure what this means.

11 hours ago, Kerburettor said:

Actually only 4 of those are displayed as "installed" in Ckan, Real Plume and Real Plume Stock are found in the "cached" section, and I'm not sure what this means.

It means that CKAN has the mod downloaded in it's own cache folder outside of your KSP install (check CKAN's settings, there's an option to change where this folder is located). Keeping mods downloaded in their compressed state (zipped) saves bandwidth for both the user and the servers that mods are downloaded from, and speeds up re installation of mods if you're trying to track-down a bug/incompatibility by uninstalling mods and installing them again one by one.

Hi @sarbian, can confirm the bug report by Kerburettor. Smokescreen is not responding to live changes of any parameter as far as I can see.

From what I could tell, none of the effects are broken per se, the parameters are all picking up the correct values from the cfg. Its just not updating to any live changes via the GUI so I went back to an earlier version to do realplume development.

Tested on 1.8.1 with Smokescreen 1.8.9. Log in case it helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cze4vtmt7l7ckfn/Player.log?dl=0

Thanks a lot in advance for looking at this.

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Hi @sarbian, can confirm the bug report by Kerburettor. Smokescreen is not responding to live changes of any parameter as far as I can see.

From what I could tell, none of the effects are broken per se, the parameters are all picking up the correct values from the cfg. Its just not updating to any live changes via the GUI so I went back to an earlier version to do realplume development.

Tested on 1.8.1 with Smokescreen 1.8.9. Log in case it helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cze4vtmt7l7ckfn/Player.log?dl=0

Thanks a lot in advance for looking at this.

Thanks for the info. Does it mean I can safely download an older version to use in KSP 1.8? If yes, which one?

38 minutes ago, Kerburettor said:

Thanks for the info. Does it mean I can safely download an older version to use in KSP 1.8? If yes, which one?

I had bundled Smokescreen v2.8.7 with the spacedock version of RealPlume-stock. That seemed quite trouble free in KSP 1.8.1.

I have no experience with smokescreen 2.8.8

18 hours ago, Wackenhut said:

i found an issue with smokescreen 2.8.9 and BluedogDesignBureau mod. Their H-1D engine doesnt give plumes and such and a bunch of nullrefs once you throttle them. Reverted back to 2.8.7 on advice of someone working on bdb and it solved the problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxk6bhrdswi00fq/Player.log?dl=0

player log of the nullreffs

Same thing here.  Smokescreen 2.8.9 in a JNSQ game has no sound or plumes for SSTU engines.  Rolling back to 2.8.7 fixes the issue.

Edit:  I don't have BDB installed.  Just wanted to add another data point.

Edited by MaxxQ

17 minutes ago, sarbian said:

@Wackenhut and @MaxxQ can one of you share their ModuleManager.ConfigCache (in GameData) so I can understand why it can not find the effect config properly ? I ll release a quick fix but I would like to understand what is going on.

Hi Sarbian I was able to reproduce this, config cache and player.log

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/is9r54aof9gv0ez/AADSDQ71dCj3AMj58Prn0CkKa?dl=0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.