[1.8.x-1.10.x] SmokeScreen 2.8.14 - Extended FX plugin (18 April 2020)

sarbian

3 hours ago, sarbian said:

I can't duplicate it. I built a ship with the same engine (I guess) and it does not jump when loaded on Minmus. So unless you can provide a save (with stock parts) that dupe it I can hardly debug it.

I'm going to look into this issue myself and if I can get it to be duplicated I'll be sure to post all the information here.

Well that was unfortunately easy. I have a lander on the Mun and immediately upon loading a quicksave or loading from the tracking station, the ship jump a few meters and shifts orientation before physics kicks in and it begins to go back down towards the surface. I tested it after removing SmokeScreen and RealPlume and the issue doesn't persist :( I'll include my logs and the save file below for you to hopefully be able to load up and reproduce from that. Hope this helps!

KSP.log

output_log.txt

Save file

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Pointblank66 said:

I need the 2.6.16 Build of SmokeScreen and build 1.1.5 of ModularFlightIntegrator for KSP 1.1.3, but I can't really find it on github.. Can anyone help me out? I need them for some mods to prevent them from only working partially. Or can I still use the builds for KSP 1.2.x? 

Go to my build server, select a mod and then look at the #XX number on the left side. They are old build, click thru them until you find the one  you need

New version : 2.7.0

This version is the first one that uses the "new" Unity Shiruken particles system. For now it adds a new effect type (MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST) that will magically converts your old effects (MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST) to the new system. The effect should looks exactly the same (as far as I saw in my tests) and it should improve performance a bit since it allocates a lot less memory each frame (technically it does not allocate any now).

So how to use it ? You just have to edit your effect to replace MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST by MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST. I am afraid I can't provide a MM patch for that.

That new effect has 1 new parameter that can be set by modders to improve performance even more : particleCountLimit. By default it is set to 1000 for each effect. If your effect does not need that many particles (most don't) you can lower it. To help you with that I added display of the maximum particle count the effect used in SmokeScreen UI. So if you don't see your effect using more than 250 particles then set that value, it will save some CPU :)

Report if you some effect are really different.

Next will be pure Shuriken effect that uses all of the features of that system but that require a bit more work :) 

Edit : forgot to post the memory impact pictures :)

Before

SmokeScreenOldParticles.png

After : 

SmokeScreenShuriken.png

Edited by sarbian

On 12/18/2016 at 8:27 AM, sarbian said:

New version : 2.7.0

This version is the first one that uses the "new" Unity Shiruken particles system. For now it adds a new effect type (MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST) that will magically converts your old effects (MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST) to the new system. The effect should looks exactly the same (as far as I saw in my tests) and it should improve performance a bit since it allocates a lot less memory each frame (technically it does not allocate any now).

So how to use it ? You just have to edit your effect to replace MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST by MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST. I am afraid I can't provide a MM patch for that.

That new effect has 1 new parameter that can be set by modders to improve performance even more : particleCountLimit. By default it is set to 1000 for each effect. If your effect does not need that many particles (most don't) you can lower it. To help you with that I added display of the maximum particle count the effect used in SmokeScreen UI. So if you don't see your effect using more than 250 particles then set that value, it will save some CPU :)

Report if you some effect are really different.

Next will be pure Shuriken effect that uses all of the features of that system but that require a bit more work :) 

Edit : forgot to post the memory impact pictures :)

Before

SmokeScreenOldParticles.png

After : 

SmokeScreenShuriken.png

Mate, thanks for all of your hard work. C'est vraiment très apprécié! Bravo!

• 5 weeks later...

Performance dropped drastically for me between versions 2.7.0 and 2.7.1 under RealPlume-Stock. Every ~10 seconds there's a pause followed by running at 8-16fps for ~5 seconds before resuming the normal framerate. Garbage collection type thing? I understand from your Shuriken post that you're not done fully implementing it, but even so if memory usage got worse that seems inconsistent with the claims in the post.

In any case, my game doesn't seem to be producing any logs for whatever reason, however I did run 2.7.1 on a clean install and it was fine so it's not SmokeScreen or RealPlume alone causing this, but on my usual modded install it's only exchanging these SmokeScreen versions that produces a difference (as opposed to, say, removing TextureReplacer whose reflection rendering can be very taxing) so I thought I'd mention it.

15 hours ago, String Witch said:

Performance dropped drastically for me between versions 2.7.0 and 2.7.1 under RealPlume-Stock. Every ~10 seconds there's a pause followed by running at 8-16fps for ~5 seconds before resuming the normal framerate.

fwiw I can reproduce this; reverting to 2.7.0 makes it go away and there were no errors or exceptions in the console.

On 1/28/2017 at 0:56 PM, OneEyedBob said:

fwiw I can reproduce this; reverting to 2.7.0 makes it go away and there were no errors or exceptions in the console.

Same here. I actually went and put in the new Real Plume folders but reverted the Smokescreen to 2.7.0 and the intermittent framerate drops disappeared all the same. 

Here it change a lot the visual for particles, getting white burst and what on 2.7.0 was perfectly only red/yellow flame, now is blue on low power and red/yellow on high power, put all of then so much  brighter.

Got back to 2.7.0

Edited by Climberfx

On 06/02/2017 at 6:53 AM, Climberfx said:

Here it change a lot the visual for particles, getting white burst and what on 2.7.0 was perfectly only red/yellow flame, now is blue on low power and red/yellow on high power, put all of then so much  brighter.

Got back to 2.7.0

I ll need some exemple of engine / mod that does that.

2.7.2 Fix a performance problem with 2.7.1

I may have to look into it more or test other ways of doing it since I am not really happy with that code. I ll need some feedback on the performance of that version in the meantime.

Download : SmokeScreen-2.7.2.0.zip

Edited by sarbian

On 7.2.2017 at 9:33 PM, sarbian said:

I may have to look into it more or test other ways of doing it since I am not really happy with that code. I ll need some feedback on the performance of that version in the meantime.

Even if you are not happy with the code, it did the trick. No more slide-show. :D

On 2/7/2017 at 6:33 PM, sarbian said:

I believe that happens because i was using a particle form B9, and it was working only on red/yellow color before 2.7.1, so, when i put 2.7.1, i believe it got back all the colors and intensity of the original that i didn't new. So, i manage to made my own particle.mu, and know is all fine!

Thank you any way!

Here a pic from how it is now, using 2.7.2

31933603704_ca0a2b80f3_o.png

Edited by Climberfx

So, where do I get older versions of this from? Specifically I need version  2.6.17 .

Thanks!

EDIT: Found it on page 17.

Edited by HawkedUpSpace

3 hours ago, Climberfx said:

I believe that happens because i was using a particle form B9, and it was working only on red/yellow color before 2.7.1, so, when i put 2.7.1, i believe it got back all the colors and intensity of the original that i didn't new. So, i manage to made my own particle.mu, and know is all fine!

Ah, that makes sense. 2.7.0 did not animate the color properly so it used only some of the colors for short lived particles.

I really need to find some time to finish all my planned SmokeScreen features so that you can create a shuriken particle effect in Unity and use it as is in KSP (and add a bunch of module to make it easier to add effect for events such as decoupling)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.