[1.8.x-1.10.x] SmokeScreen 2.8.14 - Extended FX plugin (18 April 2020)

sarbian

35 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Hi Sarbian I was able to reproduce this, config cache and player.log

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/is9r54aof9gv0ez/AADSDQ71dCj3AMj58Prn0CkKa?dl=0

34 minutes ago, Wackenhut said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6b2kalgoracohyf/MM_configcache.rar?dl=0

its a zip file with 2 configcache. I renamed em, added 289 for the 2.8.9 smokescreen version and added 287 for the non bugged 2.8.7 smokescreen

Thanks. I found out part of the problem. Can you test this version : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltsxun3mzbkcctv/SmokeScreen.dll?dl=0  and tell me if it works ?

It should be able to find the effect config now. I ll need to add something else to make sure the NRE spam does not show up even when it can't find a config but not today...

16 minutes ago, sarbian said:

Thanks. I found out part of the problem. Can you test this version : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltsxun3mzbkcctv/SmokeScreen.dll?dl=0  and tell me if it works ?

It should be able to find the effect config now. I ll need to add something else to make sure the NRE spam does not show up even when it can't find a config but not today...

Hi Sarbian, seems to be working now. Also the plume editing issue seems resolved too, am able to edit and change parameters live. Thanks for the quick fix :)

1 minute ago, Zorg said:

Hi Sarbian, seems to be working now. Also the plume editing issue seems resolved too, am able to edit and change parameters live. Thanks for the quick fix :)

Yep, it works now. And thank you Sarbian :)

Edited by Wackenhut

1 hour ago, MaxxQ said:

Sorry I wasn't able to get those files to you before you fixed it.  Had some running around to do for a few hours.

The fix is working fine.

Don't worry, we are all busy :)

Here is a new version with the fix. I did not add anything to prevent the NRE if the effect config is wrong because my brain is not cooperating tonight. 

On 2/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, Wackenhut said:

Found another nullreff engine. Bluedog's RS-27. Same thing, nullrefs on throttle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpsqs3xlmrzhpmn/logs.rar?dl=0

playerlog and configcache logs

edit : yes, its with the latest version

I just looked at the config and looked at my code and...

http://www.commitstrip.com/en/2020/02/12/coding-maturity/

Fix coming.

Edited by sarbian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to modding, why you  fixedrescale/size/scale don't work with stock MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE?

what is emitter?

is it required to include Audio Module in the cfg so the engine would still have the sound?

Edited by ssd21345

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did a benchmark and it turns out that when both RealPlume and SmokeScreen are installed, my framerate is lowered by 8.7% (both max and avg.) with the engines off, both on the launchpad and in orbit. I did this benchmark 4 or 5 times in total and the results were extremely consistent.

Note - when SmokeScreen is installed without RealPlume or vice versa, the framerate isn't lowered. It has to do with how configs interact with this plugin. Just saying.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, feluxution said:

i heard that you can use this mod to add Fuel Vapor like the Falcon 9 has. but it doesnt work for me.

You need to add the configs from Cool Rockets to activate the effects. (Follow the link in Sarbian’s signature.)

The vapor effects look good, but I think the  falling ice graphics need an update, so I usually disable that. Which also improves post-launch performance for me.

10 minutes ago, Nightside said:

You need to add the configs from Cool Rockets to activate the effects. (Follow the link in Sarbian’s signature.)

The vapor effects look good, but I think the  falling ice graphics need an update, so I usually disable that. Which also improves post-launch performance for me.

how can i deactivate this? i cant figure it out and i also cant edit the cfg file for some reason ( i have a programm to edit cfg and also can edit other cfg files but i cant edit this one for some reason)

7 minutes ago, feluxution said:

how can i deactivate this? i cant figure it out and i also cant edit the cfg file for some reason ( i have a programm to edit cfg and also can edit other cfg files but i cant edit this one for some reason)

Open the Stock.cfg file in CoolRockets with a program like Notepad, Notepad+ or whatever, and take a look. You will that there are PreLaunch and PostLaunch Modules being patched onto various parts. Notice that the PreLaunch effects typically target engines that consume oxidizer and will be active until you start staging. 

The PostLaunch effects target fuel tanks with Oxidizer, iirc, and will be active for a few seconds after you stage (this time is configureable.)

The CoolRockets! thread does not get enough love, and I actually just realized that I already wrote my own patch for this that will work with all stockalike modded parts. If you want my patch, just add the text of the codeblock below to a new .cfg file, and place that somewhere in GameData.

//Apply cryogenic engine effects to any engine that burns oxidizer

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KM_PreLaunchEffect_SmkS],@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[@PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]]]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen] 
{	
	MODULE
	{
		name = KM_PreLaunchEffect_SmkS
		effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine1 // the name of the particle system in the .mu. You can have several systems with same or different names.
		checkBottomNode = true // deactivate if something is attached at the bottom node (for engines)
		debug = false // show or don't show the debug context menu in the VAB tweakables.

model = CoolRockets/FX/cryo-1m/model
		position = 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
		scale = 1, 1, 1
		rotation = 0, 0, 0

parent = #$../MODULE[ModuleEngines*]/thrustVectorTransformName$
		size = 1.5 //sizeof the particles. It ranges from x/2 to x
		width = 0.2 // width of the particle system
		height = 14 // height or lifetime of the particles
		xOffset = 0
		yOffset = 0
		zOffset = 0

numP = 25	//number of active particles in the system
		speedX = 0.0 // direction of the particles
		speedY = -0.5 //-.2// direction of the particles
		speedZ = 0 // direction of the particles

rndVelocity = 0.2  //0.1// random movement in all directions
        runningTime = 5 // stop x seconds after launch
    }    
}

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

plume.jpg

I'm wondering if there is any configs that achieve the actual effect of real plumes like in the picture above.

On 5/16/2020 at 8:40 AM, Krzeszny said:

I did a benchmark and it turns out that when both RealPlume and SmokeScreen are installed, my framerate is lowered by 8.7% (both max and avg.) with the engines off, both on the launchpad and in orbit. I did this benchmark 4 or 5 times in total and the results were extremely consistent.

Note - when SmokeScreen is installed without RealPlume or vice versa, the framerate isn't lowered. It has to do with how configs interact with this plugin. Just saying.

I've notice some extreme lag at launch as well, specially some couple of seconds gap while staging, wondered what could be the cause. Searching the log for error spam is always a good way start investigating.

On another wildly unrelated note, I've noticed I get no audio from rockets in space anymore, inb4 can't hear sound in space. But I still like do hear the engine audio cue, I have no clue what might cause it, does anyone have an idea which mods do this?

On 8/13/2020 at 1:00 AM, Gfurst said:

I've noticed I get no audio from rockets in space anymore, inb4 can't hear sound in space. But I still like do hear the engine audio cue, I have no clue what might cause it, does anyone have an idea which mods do this?

The mod Audio Muffler Redux does that.

6 hours ago, Gfurst said:

Is that a specific mod or what? Pretty sure I haven't installed anything like that.

You just asked what mods muffled the sounds in space. Yes, AMR is a mod and yes, it muffles sound in space. I use it.

• 1 month later...

Hello.

First thing  first, great mod Sarbian !

There are two version of Smokescreen in CKAN, one of them seems to be designed to work with Realism Overhaul, but only supports 1.7.3.

As Realism Overhaul now works on 1.8.x, is it planned to upgrade this Smokescreen version ? Or would the 1.7.3 work ?

1 hour ago, Lunesombre said:

Hello.

First thing  first, great mod Sarbian !

There are two version of Smokescreen in CKAN, one of them seems to be designed to work with Realism Overhaul, but only supports 1.7.3.

As Realism Overhaul now works on 1.8.x, is it planned to upgrade this Smokescreen version ? Or would the 1.7.3 work ?

You need to use the regular SmokeScreen for KSP 1.8+

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.