[1.8.x-1.10.x] SmokeScreen 2.8.14 - Extended FX plugin (18 April 2020)

sarbian

This is amazing. I wish all the authors of all the FX mods that appeared in the last months, would come together and publish them together as a single mod, containing configs for other mods, since their plugins should effect not only vanilla KSP.

I'm not sure whether it's too late to change the identifiers (there shouldn't be too many compatibility problems right now), but I think 'persistant' should be replaced by 'persistent' (unless you intended to name the classes in French). I'll report it as a bug on GitHub.

That's what happens when I code too late : French start popping up in my code :)

How much does this stuff hurt performance? Does it put any more load onto the CPU, or is it primarily GPU intensive?

It depends a lot of the effects.

Long lasting smoke/dust effect can slow down the game fast if they overlap ( like if you stay too long on the launchpad )

Strangely collision does not have a big impact on my PC but I have an i7 ...

Edited by sarbian

Damn it Nothke, my jaw just fell to the ground after seeing those FX.

Would Smokescreen make it possible to have those launch plumes Nothke once showcased at a decent FPS? They were cancelled after being 'too buggy', but that might be with the old system.

Subscribed. You guys rock! Thanks!

Could this have a small GUI in next releases? (like DOE or Visual Enhancements)

Thank you again by this type of amazing mods, that not only allow you modify the game, but also explore the modding world in a less technical way. Best mods.

Nazari released some of the new effects with this plugin in HotRockets. I'm testing them out, and they are amazing. SRB plumes go on an on! It's awesome.

Pics:

screenshot177.png

screenshot180.png

(rocket is at the very top of this image)

screenshot184.png

(with collision on, but kills my framerate when I sit at the launchpad)

That is looking a lot better already. I think some tweaks need to be made for lifelike behaviour (dispersion et cetera), but I like where this is going.

Yeah, and over time the smoke particles should get bigger- but it's looking fantastic so far!

i suck at doing my own .cfg for this can someoen post some so i can test it without crashing my game due to errors im causing lol.

Try paying more attention to correctly formulating words - that will cause errors in .cfg's. It also helps others to read your posts :)

Is there somewhere/link to get these in my game, they need to be in my game, now :'D
i suck at doing my own .cfg for this can someoen post some so i can test it without crashing my game due to errors im causing lol.

If you want to try some of this, check out HotRockets. Link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65754-HotRockets%21-Particle-FX-Replacement-Tutorial

It has basic support at the moment, but the screenshots I posted on the previous page were taken using that.

I decided to dive into Unity today and try my hand at some custom particle effects and got a pretty good smoke one going for the SRBs. I'll see if I can put something together by the end of the weekend. Also I'm going to try my hand at making some configs for KW as well if these turn out.

On the note of KW configs, is there a way to offset the effects in the negative direction? KW's engines seem to have the FX point rather far from the engine bells, and I can't get the effect to move.

For example, the KW Griffon XX effect point is like 1 meter below the engine bell. I've tried everything I can think of to get the offset to push it up into the bell. localOffset in the EFFECT{} node, fxOffset in the ModuleEnginesFX{} node, and even putting a negative number in the offset = 1.0 -1.0 in the new MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST{} node defined in this mod. Positive numbers work in the new node, but negative doesn't seem to (i.e. I can push the flames further down, but not closer).

Is there anything I missed?

This is great, and really what I was hoping for in the stock implementation. Finally we're able to scale things over time (which really should have been in the basic implementation), and also the atmospheric modifiers are great.

I'm looking forward to updating my own parts to take full advantage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.