This Game is costing me $740....

pslytely psycho

Friday I am ordering the parts to build a computer with KSP in mind. 4GHz Quad core chip, Radon 260X GDDR3 2G, liquid cooling, 8G RAM (for now).

It actually (Heavily modded) has a watchable framerate to about 400 parts and is a slideshow past 600.

I hope this will give me a watchable framerate to 1000 parts. Since it is so hevily CPU dependent I can skimp a bit on the graphics card. Although it is still a huge improvement over my current setup of a 2.2 GHz Quad core and a HD7400M 512 MB card in my Acer Aspire notebook.

Of course the computer will inherit the 32" LG HDTV I currently use for a monitor.

It is my birthday present to myself......and Jeb and the boys.:huh::cool::confused:

With shipping it el cheapo, it's gonna be a looooong week and a half......

Yeah, a heavily modded Skyrim, Civ V, and GTA IV (another game I keep hitting a memory overload on due to mods, but graphic, not RAM).

I'm certain computers have other uses.....they must.......meh, who cares...It will make a kickin 54th Birthday for sure!

(currently 780 hrs since it went on Steam. Only CIV V. Medieval II, and Medieval ROME I have more...and not by much. All of them have been on the computer longer than KSP. KSP is about 15 months old on my system....since 0.18)

Edited by pslytely psycho

And that's the beauty of a PC. Versatile and upgradable. By months end I may be able to add a second graphics card and more memory (in the hope KSP will eventually be 64 bit....Please!)

Not to mention Mods.....and KSP has the best. I have had less problems (excluding memory overloads) from KSP mods than from any other game. Right now I have around 30 mods and it loads up to about 3G, on mine it dies at about 3.7G. I'm actually pleased I get the performance I do out of it. Can't wait until it has some horsepower to play with!

Sooo cheap! Try seeing what that money would get you in the UK!

[Edit for below - you pay roughly half what we'd have to. USD$740 would be GBP£440 (just checked) which would be a good-ish laptop - something more than just surfing the web and twitface but not much in the way of graphics.]

Edited by Pecan

Sooo cheap! Try seeing what that money would get you in the UK!

Having never traveled outside the U.S. I was unaware hardware was that different, although I am unfortunately, not suprised.

edit: Curiosity, I can't seem to find a way to look up U.K. pricing. what does a AMD FX 4350 4.2 GHz processor go for in there? $129.28 US here...

edit: reply to above: I promise never to ***** about the price of computer hardware ever again. Thanks for the information though. My Google-Fu is weak on the subject of international pricing apparently.

Yes it is. I should have it built by the following weekend if there are no shipping delays. I have a half constructed (486 part) ship in orbit awaiting its living quarters and lander(212 parts). It is such a slideshow when they get near that I am saving my quicksave and not playing that gamesave until I have it built. Very hard to make delicate manuvours at 2 FPS....

Don't expect anything amazing when it comes to graphics performance from this game. My new computer I just built with a 4770K overclocked to 4.2 GHz and a gtx 780 SC that can play BF4 on high settings at 5760x1200 resolution still struggles with KSP at 1920x1080. Well I shouldn't say struggle, it doesn't even break a sweat. The game just isn't fully optimized, I only get about 15 fps viewing my orbiter lab with a few ships docked to it. If I change the graphics from everything maxed to everything minimum I maybe get 17 fps.

The nice thing about living in Washington state. Hydroelectric. I pay .089 cents per KW hour. For my one bedroom apartment that averages around $62 a month. With electric heat in the winter and A/C in the summer.

How on earth do you manage to spend 62 dollars on 0.089 CENTS per kWh electricity? In a one bedroom appartment!? That's tickling 70 MEGAWATT-hour per month! Even if you meant 0,089 dollar (so 8,9 cents) that's still 700 kWh per month. Which is doable I suppose, but still very high for a one-bedroom appartment IMO. I average around 10 kWh per day in a two bedroom apartment with electric water heating, A/C, a big fridge and ofcourse my computer. I just don't get it :P

Then again I have a bit more incentive to be frugal since electricity here runs around $0.35-.40 per kWh

Edited by DonLorenzo
forgot that i actually have a 2 bedroom unit instead of 3

I hope "4ghz" means you're overclocking, instead of getting a CPU with that stock clock, because a 4670k is almost certainly a better buy for KSP

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/42877-CPU-Performance-Database

Wow. Thanks! The FX 6350 benchmarks even better, and it's only $10 more!

Of course....now I'll need a better motherboard, $30 more....Oh well, Only live once (unless your Jeb, Bob or Bill....:confused::cool::huh:)

Thanks again, for making my build better! With the better CPU and motherboard, it still came in (with shipping) $1.92 under my $800 maximum.

Thanks!

Run a 6' HDMI from my laptop currently, with wireless KB, and Trackball.

I order the parts tomorrow for the new setup. Building it with a mind towards KSP, but will help with my heavily modded Skyrim and GTA IV setups as well, as they run out of graphic memory.

Don't expect anything amazing when it comes to graphics performance from this game. My new computer I just built with a 4770K overclocked to 4.2 GHz and a gtx 780 SC that can play BF4 on high settings at 5760x1200 resolution still struggles with KSP at 1920x1080. Well I shouldn't say struggle, it doesn't even break a sweat. The game just isn't fully optimized, I only get about 15 fps viewing my orbiter lab with a few ships docked to it. If I change the graphics from everything maxed to everything minimum I maybe get 17 fps.

Considering my 700 part interplanetary research ship slows down to about 2 fps.....15 would be WONDERFUL!

How on earth do you manage to spend 62 dollars on 0.089 CENTS per kWh electricity? In a one bedroom appartment!? That's tickling 70 MEGAWATT-hour per month! Even if you meant 0,089 dollar (so 8,9 cents) that's still 700 kWh per month. Which is doable I suppose, but still very high for a one-bedroom appartment IMO. I average around 10 kWh per day in a two bedroom apartment with electric water heating, A/C, a big fridge and ofcourse my computer. I just don't get it :P

Then again I have a bit more incentive to be frugal since electricity here runs around $0.35-.40 per kWh

Electric heat in the winter, AC in the summer. Deep Freeze, 2 computers 24 hrs a day both with 32" HDMI screens one 47" 3D tv runs about 14 hrs a day (Except now that's my monitor, my wife had knee surgury yesterday and will be in rehab 3 weeks.)

Wasteful, perhaps, but Heaters Make the worst hit. In the summer it drops to around $50, and yes I meant 8.9 cents.

Only Wyoming and Idaho are less expensive for electricity. Hydroelectric is wonderful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.