Shoved under the rug/cancelled content ?

Nemrav

Actually I saw NovaSiliko a couple months ago, he was ironically telling somebody about the mun rover in one of the trailers (he said it was maid specifically for the trailer)... infact, knowing how that was made puts him leaving some time late 2013....

so, back on track so far what we have mentioned are :

airplane parts

mining

scrapped planets, test beds...

planned planets that we haven't heard of since NovaSiliko left the dev team, aparently they were working on oval shaped bodies, geysers, possibly lava... at that time there was at least one gas giant planned to be added... eeloo was to become a moon of that giant.

WE NEED TO Q/A THE DEVS

can anyone get in contact with a dev, maybe convince them to, in somebody's live stream q/a them on some of these things ?

There are always things being worked on which are later dropped or replaced with something else, not just in KSP, but in any major project. I suspect a Q&A like this wouldn't be very interesting, because the answer to just about every question would simply be, "We decided not to use it." What more are you looking for? (Not being snitty. Just asking.)

This maybe a bit offtopic but what ever happened to nova slisko did he leave or what?

ArcticVoid: Squad (and just about all companies) have a policy of not discussing the reasons for staff departures, and also, it really isn't anybody else's business. So you're not in trouble, but please don't ask about this sort of thing. -- Vanamonde.

Edited by Vanamonde

There are always things being worked on which are later dropped or replaced with something else, not just in KSP, but in any major project. I suspect a Q&A like this wouldn't be very interesting, because the answer to just about every question would simply be, "We decided not to use it." What more are you looking for? (Not being snitty. Just asking.)

i'm asking, why they were put off, how far in progress they were, any plans to try it again/get back to it later, etc.

nearly got a question off during the last squad cast...

Something to bare in mind is this, a lot of this stuff takes time and Squad can only do so much, they are laying the groundwork so that can add stuff later, missions for example, and so modders can build on it with parts and plugins.

Devving takes time :)

I wonder if it would be possible to add the never implemented planets and moons in game by using planet factory... since Nova isn't a dev anymore or would that be violation of his contract?

well, I simply am curious as to what stage things were at when they were stopped (temporary or permanent), why, how it worked, if there are plans to try again/resume work in the near future..

now, can anyone dig up more stuff to ponder over/keep the thread going ? (come on, you know you saw that odd thing !)

I wonder if it would be possible to add the never implemented planets and moons in game by using planet factory... since Nova isn't a dev anymore or would that be violation of his contract?

apparently Harvest became the base for tylo and eve's original moon was too buggy (ice crystals were too big).. but still, maybe we could get the original height maps ??

did he leave or what?

I did, a while ago.

him leaving some time late 2013....

It's fuzzy as to when it happened. It started as a temporary leave but I decided not to come back. So sometime around the middle of 2013, really.

Edited by NovaSilisko

It's fuzzy as to when it happened. It started as a temporary leave but I decided not to come back. So sometime around the middle of 2013, really.

Did you burn out? I remember you being a very active modder before joining Squad, hard to imagine anyone could keep up that pace.

Of course, if you'd rather not talk about it, I totally respect that.

Of course, if you'd rather not talk about it, I totally respect that.

Don't believe I could (NDAs and such) even if I wanted to, which I don't. I've moved on to my own things by now, just a new chapter in the Book of Silisko (coming 2019, $49.99 USD)

- good luck, you should change Science of the Spheres to SCIENCE of the spheres !

(It'l gain much more of a fan base that way, especially if its goofy type of science)

Its really sad about the NDA's, but I've still got to try out alternis Kerbol and such.

There any exceptions from the NDA, ;) , naw I shouldn't push my luck

GL, continue your dream works.

So sometime around the middle of 2013, really.
my guess work is improving ! :)

Something to remember about KSP is that we are seeing a process that is normally hidden from gamers during game development.

Typically, game developers start with a wish-list of features. During development this list may get added to, features may be dropped, and sometimes features may get pushed back when it is realised that a lot of groundwork remains to be done before the feature can be coded. Then at a late stage during Crunch Time they stop adding features and unworkable features get dropped like hot cakes. At some point (usually set by the marketing guys and normally during Late Crunch) the features that look like they will be workable will get airtime in advertising - though even then it may turn out that a "promised" feature is so badly broken or hated by a test panel that it will vanish.

We are still in that early part of the process, when the wish list is expanding and contracting and some features are being pushed back if more preparatory work needs to be done. For all we know features such as resources may well reappear once Harv and the guys have worked them out and made them fun; or even (for all we know) none of the MIA features will ever be seen again.

While it is fun to discuss this, we know too little about what is going to happen and all this forum activity is to little effect beyond generating extra hot air in the server cabinets!

YESS on rheld's stream of the ksp tournament, chad was there so I asked what happened to the airplane parts !!!!

HE RESPONDED TO MY POST SPECIFICALLY.

GUESS WHAT HE SAID TO US SPOILER : well, they got on my youtube channel and that was it, absolutely nothing has happened since then. :P

YESS on rheld's stream of the ksp tournament, chad was there so I asked what happened to the airplane parts !!!!

HE RESPONDED TO MY POST SPECIFICALLY.

GUESS WHAT HE SAID TO US SPOILER : well, they got on my youtube channel and that was it, absolutely nothing has happened since then. :P

link please?

found a new test bed celestial body

Harvester is giving a lecture at unite 2013.

Its called mun 2.... probably the base of minmus.

That was, in fact, just a second celestial body I added to the test scene I used to test out the patched conics. That was well after Minmus had been added, IIRC.

That screenshot comes from a totally separate project however. KSP is much too big and takes a good deal of time to compile and load, so when we're writing big features, we usually do it in a separate, cleaner environment first, then move all the new stuff in once it's ready to integrate. Think of it as taking a part off your car's engine to work on it on the bench, instead of having to do the same work lying under a greasy underside.

Cheers

Thanks for clairifying, with asteroid and grappling hooks im sure somebody will assemble a "mun2" next update litterally, grappling hook + asteroid..

Always waiting for that next teaser ;) or in the case of this thread, the next long-lost proposal !

Multiplayer was "carved in stone" to not be implemented and voila - we're going to get it.

AHAHAHAHAHA yeah, it's amazing how it was pretty clear multi-player was never listed as a game feature and it seemed pretty clear that the devs weren't interested... AND theeeeen:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/239-KerbalKon-Announce

Oh, yeah, MP was always in the plans. It just coincidentally announced as a feature to be implemented weeks after the KMP mod was produced.

The devs couldn't have just changed their minds and claimed that's how it was the entire time... that'd be ridiculous... Obviously, it was the community that perpetuated this myth and misunderstanding and put it on the WNTS list.

AHAHAHAHAHA yeah, it's amazing how it was pretty clear multi-player was never listed as a game feature and it seemed pretty clear that the devs weren't interested... AND theeeeen:

-snip-

The devs couldn't have just changed their minds and claimed that's how it was the entire time... that'd be ridiculous... Obviously, it was the community that perpetuated this myth and misunderstanding and put it on the WNTS list.

Multi-player has always been in the WNTS list just like many other things such as more parts, robotics etc. that certainly doesn't mean they weren't intending to implement, rather a "i'l get back to it later" over and over again.....

Otherwise can you give me a page that eludes to multiplayer being an "we will never" thing ?

Right, conspiracy down, what else can anybody dig up ?

ArcticVoid: Squad (and just about all companies) have a policy of not discussing the reasons for staff departures, and also, it really isn't anybody else's business. So you're not in trouble, but please don't ask about this sort of thing. -- Vanamonde.

Asking is always an option, whether you get an answer is another matter.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/239-KerbalKon-Announce

Oh, yeah, MP was always in the plans. It just coincidentally announced as a feature to be implemented weeks after the KMP mod was produced.

Multiplayer ended up on the WNTS list because every thread about it always devolved into a massive flame fest.