A Mechanic Is Jeb, or "KAS For Almost Everything"

GavinZac

Update:

• Fixed a problem with the last update
  • added DMagic Science parts
  • added (some) FASA parts.
  • Part count now at 257 individual modifications.

Awesome, thanks for adding my parts. I'll link to this thread for anyone looking for KAS integration.

And I don't really understand why more parts are not attachable in EVA (parachutes or wheels for example) ?

Especially in space where weight is not in the party.

Those are already moveable in KAS by default (addModule.cfg), and I add a couple more of the semi-realistic ones - by using the pack, only the very large "drop dead on the spot" wheels are not included.

A few stock docking ports are missing (only dockingPort3 is in the file).

I'd intended dockingPort2 to be in there too, it is now. Thanks. The other 3 are not really surface attachable - the clampotron snr is massive, the inline clampotron is... inline, and the shielded docking ports... well I guess there's no harm. I'll throw that one in too. Updated.

Have you considered adding things from the RLA stock-alike, ion engine, and power generation packs?

Plenty of small parts in those packs that a kerbal in a suit should be able to grab and move around.

A few selected examples; a smaller RTG, a radially-mountable ion engine, radially-mounted monopropellant engines, and RCS thruster blocks in more configurations than I know what to do with. IIRC, the RCS blocks were the first offering from this author, and they're still useful to this day.

I don't know how I made probes before I found these parts, they're just that useful.

The monopropellant engines are great for space tugs, because they already carry around a lot of monopropellant. Sure beats holding down 'H' for a minute or two, and it's much more suited to making precision maneuvers than an RCS thruster is. There's even a 1 thrust version, same thrust as an RCS port.

Have you considered adding things from the RLA stock-alike, ion engine, and power generation packs?

Plenty of small parts in those packs that a kerbal in a suit should be able to grab and move around.

A few selected examples; a smaller RTG, a radially-mountable ion engine, radially-mounted monopropellant engines, and RCS thruster blocks in more configurations than I know what to do with. IIRC, the RCS blocks were the first offering from this author, and they're still useful to this day.

I don't know how I made probes before I found these parts, they're just that useful.

The monopropellant engines are great for space tugs, because they already carry around a lot of monopropellant. Sure beats holding down 'H' for a minute or two, and it's much more suited to making precision maneuvers than an RCS thruster is. There's even a 1 thrust version, same thrust as an RCS port.

Yeah sounds useful in the event of wanting to add a little booster to an errant probe or something.

Here's another one. It's just one part but still. KDEX

Nice, will do that too, tomorrow (it's 3AM)

can I use conditions like (mass <= 1 and attachRules=1,1,1...) to select all attachable parts? I did some search, it seems there's no manual or documentation for it.

No, it's not possible. That's the reason I made this. In fact, it's in the very first paragraph of this thread.

Hi,

here are settings to ad some parts from my advertizing parts

IMPORTANT NOTICE: don't grab and attach the two adpanels, for now, there are placed perpendicular to the tangent of the surface, inside the part like a sword :rolleyes:, unless you want to kill the kraken if you find it.

AFAIK with the current KAS version, there is no fix for that.

UPDATE: you can use Left-Alt/Right-Alt with b/n keys to rotate part along any of the three axis.

// Kerbice Marketing advertizing display v0.9

@PART[KMIADSUCUB1] {

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.15)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = True

storedSize = 10

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = True

attachOnStatic = False

}

}

@PART[KMIADPAN11] {

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.3, -0.14)

evaPartDir = (-1,0,0)

storable = True

storedSize = 1

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = True

attachOnStatic = False

}

}

@PART[KMIADPAN12] {

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.3, -0.14)

evaPartDir = (-1,0,0)

storable = True

storedSize = 2

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = True

attachOnStatic = False

}

}

@PART[KMIADCYL0] {

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = True

storedSize = 3

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = True

attachOnStatic = False

}

}

@PART[KMIADHEX0] {

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = True

storedSize = 3

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = True

attachOnStatic = False

}

}

@PART[KMIADOCTO0] {

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = True

storedSize = 3

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = True

attachOnStatic = False

}

}

Edited by Justin Kerbice
add KAS rotate keys for attaching part info

I think there is a balance issue with stock toroidal aerospike engine: mass 1.5t, space 4.0, I think it might be better to increase it's space requirement (just due to shipment protection for example)

And this is the Mechjeb case config (with it, each kerbal can have his own super-gps system):

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202] {

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = True

storedSize = 1

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = True

attachOnStatic = False

}

}

Edited by Justin Kerbice

• 2 weeks later...
I think there is a balance issue with stock toroidal aerospike engine: mass 1.5t, space 4.0, I think it might be better to increase it's space requirement (just due to shipment protection for example)

As I said in the Predictably Asked Questions, it's not balanced at all yet. I'm very open to suggestions for appropriate space-sizes. The weight still matters though; in other words, adding 40 of those engines to a box will add 60 tons to your craft and isn't a great idea. I've been mostly dog-fooding it against 0.23.5 and Module Manager 2.0. At the moment it seems to have some issues with MM2.0 and may require a little rewrite.

And this is the Mechjeb case config (with it, each kerbal can have his own super-gps system):

Interesting, will add on the next 'build'.

@GavinZac -- could you add in the strut connector in the next version? Being able to remove the ends of disconnected struts on EVA is nice for those of us with ocd.

Sure, although you can only detach one end, the other end is 'fake'. I don't want people to get the idea that it can be used like KAS struts either.

It'll need to be tested, too. I'm not super confident that it wouldn't cause explosions.

Quick tip you've probably already figured out but I will give anyway for interested readers: If you always build the struts from the lower stages up, so that you first click on a stage that will be discarded, when the stage is separated and the strut breaks, the end that remains on the upper stage is only a temporary graphical representation and won't be there the next time you reload. Can help keep things clean.

It'll need to be tested, too. I'm not super confident that it wouldn't cause explosions.

So far so good in my install. I've also done the stronger (and more aesthetically pleasing) strut from B9 with no ill effects. And most of my strut remnants come from strutting two docking-port connected modules during launch that are later reconfigured in orbit.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I think would be great for this mod would be some kind of configuration tool so users can select which mods they actually have.

The way it is now, when you use the .cfg all the parts listed in it show up in the container editors even if you don't have the mods. Granted, this may just be a bug of some kind (in which case a configurator might not be necessary) but even so.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.