Most Detailed Kerbal Border Map in History

Pds314

I can't right-click and open the image in another window.

Is your mouse broken? If not and you have a sane choice of web browser (for example, Chrome) right click and then left click "Open image in new tab."

Is your mouse broken? If not and you have a sane choice of web browser (for example, Chrome) right click and then left click "Open image in new tab."

I use IE (Saner than the internet would have you believe), and I can't do that.

FRICKIN IE I WANT TO LIKE YOU WHY DO YOU DO THESE THINGS

• 2 weeks later...

There's all sorts of stories just waiting to be told in this map...

The border between Abkovichatkaderivochistan and Nusad doesn't follow the river... but close, that's very odd.... somewhere in history Nusad must of taken the land west of the river. Was there a war? How long ago? Are there kerbal that live there that feel like they are still Abkovichatkaderivochs? Revolution?

Likewise, Loneankopa has a nice little bit of land that might have been Ryemnarg at some time, or even back and forth throught history, since it touches the bay it looks like a great place to hold for economic and military reasons.

Speaking of economic, Allied Provinces of Cerima have no real problem with access to the ocean, however is a large large country, bringing trucks and trains all the way to the cost must be expensive, if ships could deport from that inland sea that borders with Adnacania.... Is there a good relationship there?

All sorts of fun things.

snip
I have a feeling that Atezaca fought a war with Ichelica and won. The Cerimian countries look like an empire that broke up like the holy roman empire(dissolution into states, but reunited after).

• 2 weeks later...
There's all sorts of stories just waiting to be told in this map...

The border between Abkovichatkaderivochistan and Nusad doesn't follow the river... but close, that's very odd.... somewhere in history Nusad must of taken the land west of the river. Was there a war? How long ago? Are there kerbal that live there that feel like they are still Abkovichatkaderivochs? Revolution?

Likewise, Loneankopa has a nice little bit of land that might have been Ryemnarg at some time, or even back and forth throught history, since it touches the bay it looks like a great place to hold for economic and military reasons.

Speaking of economic, Allied Provinces of Cerima have no real problem with access to the ocean, however is a large large country, bringing trucks and trains all the way to the cost must be expensive, if ships could deport from that inland sea that borders with Adnacania.... Is there a good relationship there?

All sorts of fun things.

My idea in terms of the Abkovichatkaderivochistan-Nusad border was that Nusad had originally formed along the river sorta like Egypt did, but I would imagine that they have faced almost continuous border conflicts by people trying to take that land.

the LNK-Ryemnarg border, yeah, I was thinking it was basically a previously war-torn region, with Ryemnarg only recently seeming to give up on trying to own most of that bay. Yeah, that area is probably one of the best Ports in the North Ocean.

The APC and Andacania are allies, and the APC trades a lot with Andacania. The APC provides much of the defense there in exchange for being allowed to use that port and have military bases there.

Resource wise, the APC has immense metal ore mines in all of those mountains. It has used this to form a large trade network as well as build up a strong military presence in 3 of Kerbin's four oceans: the Northern Ocean (the one touching the Northern icecap), The Ceriman Ocean (the one enclosed by the Ceriman Supercontinent), and the Bay Ocean (named that because it is surrounded in land, the one that Andacania is connected to).

I have a feeling that Atezaca fought a war with Ichelica and won. The Cerimian countries look like an empire that broke up like the holy roman empire(dissolution into states, but reunited after).

Yup. Well after Atezaca, Yama and Anci broke apart in a brutal civil war, technologically inferior Atezaca was landlocked and had little chance of sending anything down the river between Yama and Anci. It did however have a large military, nothing to employ them in at home, a desperate need for access to the oceans and existing disputes with the then-much-larger Lovibia and the the relatively unmilitarized Ichelica and used their civil-war military to carve a path, at great loss of life on both sides, to the ocean in each direction. This wasn't politically favored, but since the APC had a policy of not interfering with combat between non-allies at that point in time, and Andacania is provided the vast majority of its defense by the APC, and Anci and Yama were basically sick of war, no nearby countries cared enough to try to take that land back. To this day, the Atezaca Southern coast is the most heavily fortified coast in the Ceriman ocean.

The Southwest Ceriman countries were indeed one empire until recently, but had an extremely poorly thought out government system, a strange mix of feudalism and a weighted democracy with a monarch in control purely of the military, which was used mostly as a police force and border control since nobody dared attack the giant country-continent and funding for foreign ventures was politically impossible. Barons could, by a complicated means of voting, take land and citizens from each other, who would now be under different laws. After a major top-level baron was assassinated, a civil war ensued and the capital was attacked after the military, which was largely seen as foreign in many of the shifting provinces, got involved. The capital was essentially destroyed after being bombed by one of the powerful barons, who was then attacked by others, this sort of thing happened at every level, until the largest allied groups stood at a few tens of thousands of citizens. Quickly, the remains of the parliament and capital tried to establish a central order, this was nearly achieved, but several other states had formed by the time that they had gotten more than a few tens of kilometers. They conquered a few, but the new country was militarily exhausted and underwent another revolution after being unable to control its millions of citizens. The citizens essentially forced it to become a more conventional democracy and do away with the feudal system. Each of the other countries that had formed had a new and unique, probably unique in the history of the world, form of government that appeared as a reaction to the different effects of the collapse.

As for re-unification, the split was only a few decades ago, so it is quite likely that something could change.

Most of the countries have a name which makes me think that they are not so democratic

"United Federal People's Democratic Kingdom" is a naming scheme more complex than Ghadafi's fake military decorations were

Thanks for sharing some of the historics of your world map. I have to ask, what is the name of the last ocean? (North, Bay, Ceriman). I'd also like to ask about Kelpogart. I haven't cracked that anagram yet.

Edited by USKnight

How about some Keological terms like continents and mountains? KSC1's island is Booster Bay, and clearly the crater area is Rim island. I also just realized that Kerbin has only one continent.

Edited by GregroxMun

How about some Keological terms like continents and mountains? KSC1's island is Booster Bay, and clearly the crater area is Rim island. I also just realized that Kerbin has only one continent.

I see. So things like "The Green Sea" instead of "The Red Sea", "The Billalayas" instead of "The Himalayas", "The Ganjeb River" instead of "The Ganges River" and whatnot?

We already have a named mountain - K2, the highest mountain on Kerbin. It's near KSC, I'm sure you'll have heard of it.

I use Booster Bay to refer to the bay north of KSC, as it is, well, actually a bay.

I named the islands this when I landed on them, as the names made sense:

B4YHiZ1.png

I call the crater island Krackentoa, but Rim island works too.

Edited by Tw1

I'm particularly fond of the equatorial 'Coldland' island, and 'Hotland', located in a bay in the southern ice cap

Also, 'Eurp' makes me giggle more than it ought to. Can we replace 'European' with 'Eurp'?

• 4 weeks later...

I think a great idea would be to make a map of the territories in EnterElysium's WWK (World War Kerbal) series, with the countries like the NAT and Styx. That would be cool. Maybe go check it out. Maybe not.

I also just realized that Kerbin has only one continent.

It may have one main landmass but judging by the island chains and various linear mountains things are definitely moving around on a geological timescale, so it ought to have more than one continental plate. That's my thinking anyway.

As an example of single landmasses versus continents, if the idea piques interest, this is our current geopolitical world moved around to display the last time when all the continents made up a single landmass: http://eatrio.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/10.-pangea_politik.jpg

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercontinent

Edited by chainchomp

• 2 weeks later...
great now i can find where the coolest place to land is... ( im using a cloud mod so i cant see much of kerbins surface)

and how did you make this thing? very good job!

Basically what I did was I selected all of the non-water terrain on Kerbin and started dividing it up into countries with white lines, and then filled in the lines with colors, and then put the colors in a "grain merge" layer over Kerbin.

And then put a whole lot of text on it. All in GIMP.

As for how I got the picture of Kerbin, the process is described in detail here.

I think a great idea would be to make a map of the territories in EnterElysium's WWK (World War Kerbal) series, with the countries like the NAT and Styx. That would be cool. Maybe go check it out. Maybe not.

I haven't really seen the map of the WWK series. If someone would be willing to describe where the different borders are, I'd gladly make a map.

• 3 months later...

IDEA!!!

It would have been awesome if you got more to do in the different buildings and stuff. A good thing to do then would be to have a globe in the Mission Control/Tracking Station/Astronaut Complex/all of them with this map in it, so you could plan your travels and bases and such a little more strategically. And also another cool thing is to be able to click somewhere on the map to see how far it is, and therefor be able to know how far your plane will have to fly to get there. This would also be great for stuff like kerbal war series like World War K and Kethane Wars etc.

I'd love to see this in the actual game. DEVS PLEASE NOTICE THIS AND YOU'LL GET A FREE COOKIE!!!