Land back at KSC?

This is part a 'How do I do this?' and part experiment to find the best approach thread (if one isn\'t already out there).

I\'ve tried a couple times so far. What I do is watch the KSC retrograde pink marker fall across the Navball. I do a retro burn at various angles and reducing to varies speeds, all at ~100k orbits (standard deviation around 4k)

So far I\'ve tried:

30 degree

retro-burn => 1587 m/s -- Overshot KSC

45 degree

retro-burn => 2100m/s -- Overshot KSC

40 degree

retro-burn => 2058m/s -- Overshot KSC, but pretty close.

I couldn\'t find any equations online, but I did find real shuttles come in at around 40-45 degrees. Because of real atmospheric conditions, this changes and it\'s all automated.

I\'m thinking at 40 degrees, and retro-burning to about 2020m/s should be real close. Perhaps 2000m/s

I understand this varies given shuttle mass. I\'ve been using the shuttle I\'ve linked.

it has much more fuel than needed. I eject the second stage once I\'ve made a steady, circular 100k orbit. And eject the third stage as I\'m entering the atmosphere.

Here are the mods used in this craft.

Down Under Aerospace & Party Supplies:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=3362.0

C7 Flight Pack:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=1172.0

That\'s not the point here :l

I don\'t use wings on my upper stages to conserve fuel, and plus they\'re pretty darn useless on the Mun.

Of course I could just glide any old thing in, but my goal is to make a controlled crash landing, with a parachute to bring things to a safe fall speed.

This isn\'t entirely a 'help me' thread. It\'s meant for people to pitch ideas around until a solution is found :P

I use winglets all the time on my upper stages to conserve MORE fuel. That way you can get away without having to lug a chute/decoupler around.

That said, the map is still your best option. Do your deorbit burn while watching it and allow some overshoot. The shallower your entry the more overshoot you should allow, and the worse your glide ratio the more you should allow.

If using a shuttle:

154c8fbe4f37d62d24e1622a0a591401.png?1328924485

Start burning at the ____________________________

Make sure your Periapsis is going through kerbin at the little square point, when it\'s there cut off engines and glide your way towards the runway.

That changes based on your height though, so we can\'t really use that as a 100% accurate guide.

If you\'re determined to glide in, and not burn at all after re-entry, then you\'re limited to atmospheric maneuvers to adjust your gliding distance. So deliberately overshoot KSC by a little bit, and make s-turns as needed to shed airspeed and altitude.

If you\'re determined to glide in, and not burn at all after re-entry, then you\'re limited to atmospheric maneuvers to adjust your gliding distance. So deliberately overshoot KSC by a little bit, and make s-turns as needed to shed airspeed and altitude.

Not even having aeronautical control. My reentry is just the command capsule. Much like the very early space missions where they come in and deploy chutes.

I think it\'s just going to take more tries

This is an interesting thought. I\'ve built a rocket that is reliable, and can be likened to the Saturn IB (I could have just used my Gemini rocket, but I was planning to do this anyway. I have work to do now, but I shall return with some test results.