NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission Pack/0.23.5 Images: now with 100% more SLS

Mach_XXII

Or maybe they'll just randomly appear at random times (so time-warping to Jool may kill Kerbin).

I took it as meaning there's a thin asteroid belt and you'll just happen upon them during transfers.

First pic doesn't look like in-game footage. Second pic is two Jumbo-64s with a nosecone in each stack, I think.

Yes, in the first point i left a "?" :P

But in the second one it looks darker than the Jumbo...

Yes, in the first point i left a "?" :P

But in the second one it looks darker than the Jumbo...

Certainly blurrier. Looks like the orange tank to me. And there's already an Orion capsule (or something that fills the same role) in the game.

As if landing on planets isn't already hard enough,

you want me to essentially rendezvous with a rock the size of my ship?!

Seriously, if anything, a video of me trying to rendezvous with it would be a michael bay film.

Nothing but explosions and slow drama.

I rendezvous with my ships all the time for docking. I find powered landing (with the exception of Gilly) much harder then meeting up with my ships to dock with.

I'm pretty sure that first pic is some sort of NASA concept art with Orion in orbit of the Moon (the real moon, look at the picture). Also the second pic is clearly 2 jumbo tanks on top of each other.

This.

I'd like to see some pictures of the new SLS parts, wonder when those will be released.

1) Orion Command Module

2) New tanks? From the shape it doesn't look like a SLS

1. I'd expect they'd have a larger diameter command pod for the new parts. those are some sexy panels too.

2. This is from their flyer, just bigger. Nothing special.

Maybe you might even be able to dock asteroids together and build the largest and laggy-est space station you could ever dream of!

It wouldn't be laggy, as lag is mostly induced by part count. Asteroids use the spaceship code, but they're just one big part.

Fun fact though: Since they do use the spaceship code, this means that it's likely that KAS will allow you to attach parts to them at will... including docking ports... so yes, you likely CAN make them into a base you can dock with :P

(And subsequently crash the game when it tries to merge your ship with a part that was never meant to be merged with a ship...)

Lightweight fuel? At five tons per cubic meter, rocket fuel in KSP is about five times as dense as water and should by all rights sink like a rock! :P

Fuel should be lightweight. It tends to be irl, correct me if I'm wrong, Hydrogen and Oxygen each in liquid form is less dense than water, right? I mean, I know that most of the Rocket's mass is fuel, but irl is LFO that heavy? If I recall correctly, the shuttle's tanks had to be very big even though they didn't hold much Hyrdrogen.

I think liquid fuel in KSP is a kerosene analog seeing as it's usable in jet engines, though kerosene is much less dense. Would still be less dense than water, though. LH2 has a density of about 70kg per cubic meter, so the tanks get large fast for any significant mass of fuel. Kerosene has a density of about 780kg per cubic meter, so much smaller tanks than with LH2.

So Kerbals use the stuff people used to burn for light in their houses before there was power.

As for Kerbal Asteroid belts, remember that "random" is a dirty word in KSP. Procedural is the correct term. And having an asterroid belt would totally make the Kerbin system feel more complete. Perhaps also the crystal rock cloud way out past all the planets too?

Also, craters from lithobraking can easily be implemented without baking it into the generator. You just need to save the details of the crater (body, coords, radius) in the save file so it can be rendered at a later date. Does this mean a growing save file after a while? Yes, but save files are plain text , aren't that big even by today's standards and can easily be zipped by the game to reduce their size up to 90%.

We are going to need a way to do multitank transfers, where you take fuel from a ship and give it to another ship currently you just dock them and do tank transfers, but if you build an anchored platform of ion engines to shift the orbit of an asteroid you will need to feed it with ion fuel and ion tanks are so small it would get tedious, so we need a way to say "take all the fuel in craft A and put it in craft B".

Or have I got ahead of myself here, are we just going to the asteroid to get a sample this decade ? You know we have got to practice shifting asteroid orbits, I hope that has been understood. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.