NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission Pack/0.23.5 Images: now with 100% more SLS

Mach_XXII

Maybe I want to take my Xenon tanker back, guess I could rig up two docking ports and leave the Xenon tank podule on one and pick up the empties from another.

Then you would want to be able to leave the asteroid engines burning when away from the asteroid and in timewarp which is a whole different kettle of fish...

Wow...asteroids....

Not impressed. I imagine we're gonna have the exact same issues of large single part objects that happened when people made asteroids before.

Plus, no n-body physics yet, so, high possibility of them being on rails as well.

Small asteroids will be treated like spacecraft, so movable but without their own gravity. Said gravity would be negligible anyway. Big asteroids will be on rails, such big ones wouldn't be feasible to move anyway, not even for Whackjob.

I can see it now. Add this and multiplayer and you will have kerbals reverting back to the 1980s. Asteroid on a collision course with our ship Captain Jeb!!!! Life could get a bit interesting.

Edited by sumrex

I can see it now. Add this and multiplayer and you will have kerbals reverting back to the 1980s. Asteroid on a collision course with our ship Captain Jeb!!!! Life could get a bit interesting.

Maybe...

Have you ever tried to collide things on opposing orbits? The difference in speed is so fast that the physics simulation gets buggy. Every set small amount of time the physics gets calculated. The two objects traveling toward each other are going so fast that they can pass through each other before the physics calculates a collision. Since on the first tick of the physics they weren't in contact and the second tick after the pass they aren't in contact... they both continue as if nothing happened.

A similar thing can happen at high time warp with planets. I have time warped through a planet before.

In KSP there is such a thing as going too fast to hit. But I'm not saying people won't throw these rocks into each other. I'm sure they will. They'll just have to figure out what the maximum relative speed is, they can have before it doesn't work anymore.

Small asteroids will be treated like spacecraft, so movable but without their own gravity. Said gravity would be negligible anyway. Big asteroids will be on rails, such big ones wouldn't be feasible to move anyway, not even for Whackjob.

Do you have any idea of what you've just done?

They are intentionally this small in order to keep down the dV requirements to move them. Remember, we're talking about a solid three-dimensional and almost spherical object made of rock and heavy ores here... I can almost guarantee you that you're underestimating its sheer mass by an order of magnitude or two. It's no coincidence that we're getting giant new rocket parts along with it.

Hmmmmmm 50 nervas anyone? because thats what it will take along with 2-3 jumbos, in order to get that thing any where.

But im sure whack job will send up a ship that will encase it with boosters and then use the rock as the command pod with a seat on it......:D:) that image...LOLZ can you imagine the image!

Hmmmmmm 50 nervas anyone? because thats what it will take along with 2-3 jumbos, in order to get that thing any where.

But im sure whack job will send up a ship that will encase it with boosters and then use the rock as the command pod with a seat on it......:D:) that image...LOLZ can you imagine the image!

Yeah. I believe his ships will certainly encase it. As long as they are that size.

<3 Go Rowsdower! Now I can see even more so the size compared to the ship. Time to scheme how to give it as a present to KSC...

Don't think you can find enough ribbon to tie it up with and that would survive re-entry anyways. True it is the thought that counts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.