NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission Pack/0.23.5 Images: now with 100% more SLS

Mach_XXII

No, that's how normal game companies do things. Squad will cut off all contact after the 24hr streaming event and in a couple weeks we might see the release.

edit: at least that's how things have been done so far... I'm hoping they might've learned from the past, but not really expecting anything once the stream goes dark.

A "normal" gaming company is using such a thing as a marketing tool only...

Squad is still actively chasing down bugs and working on the update. The build is good enough to show but not good enough to release. If it was good enough to release they'd just do that and not bother with the marathon.

My guess is that it'll be out by the end of the week... but they are having to check with NASA on things and NASA's communication turn around time is not instant... and so ARM could be delayed simply because they're waiting for NASA.

But anyway your memory of past events is ... off, wrong, colored by pessimism or something because they have never "cut off all contact"

Sandworm, I disagree with quite a few of your points.

Because this is the only way to influence the development of this game.

That is an odd statement, given that there are whole sub-forums for bug reports and development suggestions alone, in addition to the discussions all over the rest of the forum. The Squad guys do not often post here because they're busy making the game, but they're not ignoring the forum.

We do not have access to per-release material.

This entire game is pre-release material.

Name a feature that Squad has released then backtracked on.

The game is in a continual state of revision. To give just a few examples off of the top of my head, they've replaced whole sets of engine and tank parts, introduced an additional model of rover wheels when the first set turned out to have deficiencies, a few of the worlds have received makeovers, the entire SAS system was thrown out and replaced, and so on.

Kerbin's size, once a concession due to lack of warping, is fixed.

That was not the only reason.

Even discussing some of these issues results in threadlocks.

It's an oft-repeated misapprehension that subjects are only put on the What Not to Suggest list because Squad is adamantly against the idea. Most of the time, items are put on the WNTS list simply because the subjects tend to cause arguments, or have been so endlessly rehashed already that there's no point in cluttered up the forum with further repetitious discussion.

Many would like to praise features in development, but the truth is we have nothing available to comment on.

Again, the whole game is still in development, and it's available on your hard drive right now. Get to commenting, praising, and criticizing already.

Squad doesn't even release features lists until moments before release and nobody outside a chosen few really playtest anything. So instead people scream at Squad here because they feel it is the only way to get their attention and perhaps influence decision making.

You've reversed the cause/effect relationship between Squad's practices and the screaming. They used to be much more open, but were barraged with abuse if anything in the actual version release differed from what they had previously discussed. And again, the game is still pre-release, so we are ALL playtesters.

Edited by Vanamonde

No, that's how normal game companies do things. Squad will cut off all contact after the 24hr streaming event and in a couple weeks we might see the release.

edit: at least that's how things have been done so far... I'm hoping they might've learned from the past, but not really expecting anything once the stream goes dark.

IIRC, the last time they did that with 0.18, their servers melted into a nice reddish glowing puddle on the ground. I was backed up in server traffic for three days.

You've reversed the cause/effect relationship between Squad's practices and the screaming. They used to be much more open, but were barraged with abuse if anything in the actual version release differed from what they had previously discussed. And again, the game is still pre-release, so we are ALL playtesters.

This is so very, very true. The devs used to be much more active and interactive on the forum, but it seems like some people have to squeeze every bit of innuendo out of every syllable the devs post and treat it as gospel. Not surprising that they've become more tight-lipped as the forum grew. I also remember when we used to get testing versions of KSP released to the general public, if they contained a serious bug the forum would go nuts. That is why the test versions only go to a testing team now.

The forum is its own worst enemy sometimes.

Today is going to be tough, by the time I get home from work the entire megastream will be largely over and the web will be full of other videos like the one above. None of which I can watch at work. I'm going to have soooo much catching up to do...

Harv post a video of this update.

Nice this gave us a lot of info, various length for the new tanks, two engines for it and a new wider engine for the 2.5 m tank. also an new and longer SRB.

The claw has an lockable pivot, this is genial as it let you adjust trust angle so you trust trough asteroid center of mass.

I saw someone stream (kiwi/ozzy guy not sure what his name was) using the new parts, they bounced on the pad when they loaded and broke even with launch clamps, same problems you had using KW parts without Kerbal Joint Reinforcement which slowly applies physics when you load/switch to a ship, he had real difficulty getting his 3.75m sized ship into orbit from parts breaking and horrible wobble, this troubles me since squad said they had gotten the wobble under control and strengthened connections to allow for the 3.75m parts, but it seems we'll still need KJR for craft not to break on the pad.

Nice this gave us a lot of info, various length for the new tanks, two engines for it and a new wider engine for the 2.5 m tank. also an new and longer SRB.

The claw has an lockable pivot, this is genial as it let you adjust trust angle so you trust trough asteroid center of mass.

I love SRB use them all the time.. So I love this new one so far. :)

I saw someone stream (kiwi/ozzy guy not sure what his name was) using the new parts, they bounced on the pad when they loaded and broke even with launch clamps, same problems you had using KW parts without Kerbal Joint Reinforcement which slowly applies physics when you load/switch to a ship, he had real difficulty getting his 3.75m sized ship into orbit from parts breaking and horrible wobble, this troubles me since squad said they had gotten the wobble under control and strengthened connections to allow for the 3.75m parts, but it seems we'll still need KJR for craft not to break on the pad.

You hit the nail on the head - they have it under control - they can control it. They have already said they don't want to eliminate it completely, if you want that then get KJR.

Also, that guy had a ship which was almost 600 parts, and was over 7000 tonnes - of course it's going to lag!

I heard that someone was demonstrating using the new parts with the old connection joints. This may have been what you were watching?

Apparently they would just collapse on the pad or during accent.

So is this update already out? Some youtubers said that it would be released shortly after their videos, but I can't check because I can't access my pc right now. Also is it going to be released on steam and the ksp store at the same time or will there be a difference?

You hit the nail on the head - they have it under control - they can control it. They have already said they don't want to eliminate it completely, if you want that then get KJR.

If a rocket using a few of the 3.75m parts collapses under it's own weight on the pad that isn't under control, that makes the new parts unusable.

Also, that guy had a ship which was almost 600 parts, and was over 7000 tonnes - of course it's going to lag!

I've made larger stuff than that using KJR, works absolutely fine.

If a rocket using a few of the 3.75m parts collapses under it's own weight on the pad that isn't under control, that makes the new parts unusable.

I've made larger stuff than that using KJR, works absolutely fine.

Really poor comment.

How on Earth was he only using a few of those parts? I'm guessing we watched the same thing, it was a massive thing.

KJR was designed to completely nerf the joint wobble, this new version will control the wobble, it's specifically designed not to get rid of it like KJR does.

I also think you're forgetting that this isn't the release version, and things can and will change - we also have to remember that we all use different PC's.

It had one central 3.75m stack and 2 radial boosters, collapsed under it's own weight on load, that's ridiculous. It's in testing prior to release hence the stream marathon, doubt much will change between now and release.

So is this update already out? Some youtubers said that it would be released shortly after their videos, but I can't check because I can't access my pc right now. Also is it going to be released on steam and the ksp store at the same time or will there be a difference?

It's not out.

No date for when it will be out has been announced.

ARM is an update like all the others and you'll manually update if you aren't on steam through the KSP store or steam will automatically update it for you the moment it's out if you have it through steam.

Why? that seems a sure way to break stuff horribly.

exactly ...

it shows the difference between the old joint system and the new one...

He disabled it somehow? is it a setting?

He might simply import the parts into 0.23, its not an big issue, except proving that the 3.75 meter parts don't work in 0.23.

If you watched the video

it works well and don't need loads of struts in 0.24, still its limits but far higher, stacks don't require struts, 2.5 meter booster need 2, 4 to make symmetry easier

Is this out yet? I know this really isn't the most appropriate question, but seeing as Rocket Pilot 573 just posted a video and Danny2462 just posted
I'm just curious if this has been released.

No it's not and no date has yet been announced.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.