NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission Pack/0.23.5 Images: now with 100% more SLS

Mach_XXII

If you look closely, you can see more detail in the tanks. The tanks could use a bit more detail, I think, like rims around the top of the tank similar to both Jebedish Kerman and Rockomax parts. The adapter could use some texture details. Sure it's just a cone, but so are the other adapters, the command pods, and the nosecones, and they all have detail on them. I am overall happy with the new parts, but I wish they were 5 meter instead of 3 meter, as the command pod appears too large, and a stock Saturn V is still not possible with the new parts in propper scale. The new parts will allow an S-IVB, but not an S-II or S-IC. Maybe 0.25 will fix things up a bit.

Also, because stockalike is whatever looks like stock parts, No matter what these are technically stockalike. I don't know what's up with the guy who says that the LES tower isn't stockalike, it looks amazing.

As far as i'm concerned, these new parts are very stockalike, since we regard stockalike things to look more or less the way the devs made them. The only things I hope for are that those engines at the bottom are separate from the tanks and not a cluster. REMEMBER GUYS: this patch os about asteroids and such, nobody said it would be SLS Nasa future space craft parts, i'm surprised they modoled the new parts like the SLS, and it looks cool. But it is in no way meant to BE the SLS pack, just hte ARM pack. Sorry for the long post, guys, but I had to get this out.

It was always the NASA mission pack. The ARM mission is NASA mission that involves the use of the SLS. Therefore, the SLS was always a promised part of the pack.

It was always the NASA mission pack. The ARM mission is NASA mission that involves the use of the SLS. Therefore, the SLS was always a promised part of the pack.

That's ridiculous. They never said they were gonna give an exact replica of the SLS. I'd love for you to pull that quote up. The purpose of the pack is to somewhat simulate the objective of capturing and redirecting an asteroid, they never said it was going to be a 100% simulation. I highly doubt the real plan involves a magic claw that just hooks onto any object.

I suspect the only reasons we're even getting these larger parts is a) we'll need the increased power to pull it off and B) that new update to Unity physics allows more stable joints of that size.

KSP is not about recreating real world vehicles. It offers up loads of generalized parts and lets you build what you want. You want specialized parts that fit together perfectly to a replica SLS, i'm sure there's a mod for it somewhere, but this update isn't about giving you that.

I like the new parts. But has anyone noticed how few STRUTS are supporting the Boosters??? Yea thats right 2 orange tanks being held on with 2 struts and a decoupler!

Oh the days of wormy rockets, and my attempts at keeping them steady are gone!

Think about all the part counts you will save when you need only 4 struts to keep things stable :'D

Yes to connect use an two orange tanks length booster I always use two struts between them and then around 6 to connect to center stack, then two struts to upper stage, if using 4-6 boosters I add two struts to connect them. Might be a bit overkill but works all the time.

That's ridiculous. They never said they were gonna give an exact replica of the SLS. I'd love for you to pull that quote up. The purpose of the pack is to somewhat simulate the objective of capturing and redirecting an asteroid, they never said it was going to be a 100% simulation. I highly doubt the real plan involves a magic claw that just hooks onto any object.

I suspect the only reasons we're even getting these larger parts is a) we'll need the increased power to pull it off and B) that new update to Unity physics allows more stable joints of that size.

KSP is not about recreating real world vehicles. It offers up loads of generalized parts and lets you build what you want. You want specialized parts that fit together perfectly to a replica SLS, i'm sure there's a mod for it somewhere, but this update isn't about giving you that.

This, 3.75 meter parts has been popular in mods, to me this looks more like Novapunch or KW than anything else.

As you say this is done as we will need larger ships to intercept and redirect asteroids, its also useful for general use and let us make more realistic rockets. As far we have only seen the boosters and the escape tower.

Mostly interesting in how the engine works, I pretty much guess its an unit, so we get the 5 engine 3.75 meter bottom and the wider 2.5 m engine who is more powerful than the mainsail.

I like the new parts. But has anyone noticed how few STRUTS are supporting the Boosters??? Yea thats right 2 orange tanks being held on with 2 struts and a decoupler!

Oh the days of wormy rockets, and my attempts at keeping them steady are gone!

Think about all the part counts you will save when you need only 4 struts to keep things stable :'D

They only needed it to stay together for a few hundred metres. There's the unbreakable joints cheat and the KJR mod, plus whatever hacking Squad want to do.

In short, just because the photo op SLS holds together with hardly any struts, doesn't mean ours will.

They only needed it to stay together for a few hundred metres. There's the unbreakable joints cheat and the KJR mod, plus whatever hacking Squad want to do.

In short, just because the photo op SLS holds together with hardly any struts, doesn't mean ours will.

Actually, some kind of update to Unity means that there's multiple collision points on joints or something, I'm not sure how it all works. But basically, SQUAD have said that because of this new update, parts will be less likely to snap or wobble and so will need fewer struts. Though they didn't, to my knowledge, specify when this would be implemented.

Actually, some kind of update to Unity means that there's multiple collision points on joints or something, I'm not sure how it all works. But basically, SQUAD have said that because of this new update, parts will be less likely to snap or wobble and so will need fewer struts. Though they didn't, to my knowledge, specify when this would be implemented.

Um they have said that... it's in ARM. Like 2-3 weeks ago Harvester(Felipe) was on the squad cast and mentioned that he had one of the guys (yargnet I don't know how that's spelled) load up something he had made in ARM in .23 to see if it would hold together at all with the old joint system... it collapsed immediately.

Um they have said that... it's in ARM. Like 2-3 weeks ago Harvester(Felipe) was on the squad cast and mentioned that he had one of the guys (yargnet I don't know how that's spelled) load up something he had made in ARM in .23 to see if it would hold together at all with the old joint system... it collapsed immediately.
I stand corrected. Well, that's good to hear.

I'm not sure why there are so many guys trashing on Squad right now. Every game has a few things that people don't like, but that doesn't mean the company itself is bad. Aesthetics are some things that can be easily changed, and for a game like KSP, where the focus is on simulation/gameplay, aesthetics are some of the last things a developer should have to worry about. Can't we all just be happy about the fact that we're getting 3.75 - 4.5 meter parts, which seemed impossible for Squad a few months ago?

As mentioned before in this thread, the sample rocket shows something akin to the Block I (or IA) crew variant with PW Rocketdyne/Dynetics liquid boosters.

The parts themselves are not imitations/replicas, but are merely inspired by the SLS.

I'm not sure why there are so many guys trashing on Squad right now.

Because building something amazing is hard. Trash talking someone else is simple. You don't need to look any deeper than that.

Just continue appreciating Squad for building this amazing thing :)

I suspect the only reasons we're even getting these larger parts is a) we'll need the increased power to pull it off and B) that new update to Unity physics allows more stable joints of that size. Also don't take this as I am insulting the new parts I quite enjoy their look infact. I was just saying that the SLS inspired parts have pretty much been part of the plan since the beginning. Going to be honest but I can't find the place where they talked about larger part, but when they did you could infer that they were clearly going to be SLS inspired because of the NASA pack name as it was originally announced as.

Your right they never did say replica, and I was not suggesting they were. They just said that SLS type parts would be in it.

Is there any news on whether the ARM pack will include solid boosters for the SLS? I hope so as they would be perfect for space shuttles.

The SLS core has the shuttle liquid engines and the advanced boosters have Saturn V engines so both of these will allow much easier replicas.

Is there any news on whether the ARM pack will include solid boosters for the SLS? I hope so as they would be perfect for space shuttles.

The SLS core has the shuttle liquid engines and the advanced boosters have Saturn V engines so both of these will allow much easier replicas.

Also hoping for 2.5m SRBs.

I'm not sure why there are so many guys trashing on Squad right now. Every game has a few things that people don't like, but that doesn't mean the company itself is bad. Aesthetics are some things that can be easily changed, and for a game like KSP, where the focus is on simulation/gameplay, aesthetics are some of the last things a developer should have to worry about. Can't we all just be happy about the fact that we're getting 3.75 - 4.5 meter parts, which seemed impossible for Squad a few months ago?

Because this is the only way to influence the development of this game. We do not have access to per-release material. We only see new features once they are locked down. Really. Name a feature that Squad has released then backtracked on. That sort of thing doesn't happen with indi games. Once a small developer in beta/alpha has implemented a feature they move on. Look at the horrible tech tree. Other than a few tweeks, the basic concept (parts unlocking only v. abilities unlocking) is here to stay. Kerbin's size, once a concession due to lack of warping, is fixed. The engine ISP model is fixed. The lack of aerodynamics is fixed. Even discussing some of these issues results in threadlocks.

But then look at what happens where people get screaming mad. The linux mousewheel bug was addressed quickly because of massive negative backlash. The fact is that Squad responds to negative criticism. Many would like to praise features in development, but the truth is we have nothing available to comment on. (This entire thread is based on a couple teaser pics and a few offhand dev comments.) Squad doesn't even release features lists until moments before release and nobody outside a chosen few really playtest anything. So instead people scream at Squad here because they feel it is the only way to get their attention and perhaps influence decision making.

I'm just glad that we haven't seen any serious reality hacking ... yet. Negative comments in google results for "Kerbal" would get squad's attention far faster than fanboy comments here.

Edited by Sandworm

Because this is the only way to influence the development of this game. We do not have access to per-release material. We only see new features once they are locked down. Really. Name a feature that Squad has released then backtracked on. That sort of thing doesn't happen with indi games. Once a small developer in beta/alpha has implemented a feature they move on. Look at the horrible tech tree. Other than a few tweeks, the basic concept (parts unlocking only v. abilities unlocking) is here to stay. Kerbin's size, once a concession due to lack of warping, is fixed. The engine ISP model is fixed. The lack of aerodynamics is fixed. Even discussing some of these issues results in threadlocks.

But then look at what happens where people get screaming mad. The linux mousewheel bug was addressed quickly because of massive negative backlash. The fact is that Squad responds to negative criticism. Many would like to praise features in development, but the truth is we have nothing available to comment on. (This entire thread is based on a couple teaser pics and a few offhand dev comments.) Squad doesn't even release features lists until moments before release and nobody outside a chosen few really playtest anything. So instead people scream at Squad here because they feel it is the only way to get their attention and perhaps influence decision making.

I'm just glad that we haven't seen any serious reality hacking ... yet. Negative comments in google results for "Kerbal" would get squad's attention far faster than fanboy comments here.

Eh, let them finish their game and leave stuff that could be rewritten for KSP II. Its a damn good game, and I don't think anyone ever expected perfection so I'm happy we've gotten this close. I would rather see them flesh out some of their bigger ideas and let us do more with the engine than wait for them to remake all the stock gameplay over and over. I think that if they are able to wrap up this current project sooner rather than later, it will give them an opportunity to expand as a company and start new projects and make more money.

Think this is pretty obvious for everybody, if you try to push something massive with an docking port it will wobble, if its any off center as an asteroid "docking" will be it will snap if you start using hundreds of kN to push it.

Think this is pretty obvious for everybody, if you try to push something massive with an docking port it will wobble, if its any off center as an asteroid "docking" will be it will snap if you start using hundreds of kN to push it.

Ok... but why did you quote my post which didn't have anything to do with docking ports... the claw... or pushing on either?

Do we know when ARM is going to be released yet? Could it be at the end of the marathon tomorrow, by any chance?

No, that's how normal game companies do things. Squad will cut off all contact after the 24hr streaming event and in a couple weeks we might see the release.

edit: at least that's how things have been done so far... I'm hoping they might've learned from the past, but not really expecting anything once the stream goes dark.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.