NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission Pack/0.23.5 Images: now with 100% more SLS

Mach_XXII

You can't walk around on a 20 meter asteroid IRL either. It's gravity is like a tiny fraction of that of Gilly (take a moment to let that sink in) :P Merely raising your foot to take a step forward would give you escape velocity.

Um, I thought the whole idea of the NASA (and KSP) mission is to land on an asteroid. You're basically saying that isn't possible or even if you did manage to actually do it, the ship would just be sitting there gingerly and even the slightest movement would send it drifting away from the asteroid, making an EVA entirely not possible. So if that is the case, why would they want to land on an asteroid?

Depends on the size of the asteroid. A biggish one you can "land" on, though it's still pretty "loose". A small one you more rendezvous with. Deimos (not an asteroid, I know) is just big enough that if you jump you won't escape it.

From what I understand, a "landing" on an asteroid is more like a rendezvous where you purposely bump into the thing, and then you fasten yourself to the surface with some kind of screw/hook apparatus. An EVA consists of moving about across netting or rope that is fastened down in a similar manner.

NDT is worthy as successor to The Sagan.
Yes, but Burnie Burns? As in the Burnie from RT? Does this mean we will see some AH KSP in the future? Dude, sooo cool. Plus, getting a real life astrophysicist to troubleshoot KSP, damn awesome.

NDT is actually the reason that we have the OSX version of KSP; a couple years back, someone asked him about the game on Twitter, and he replied that he thought it looked like a great idea and would probably be eating up far too much of his time, except that (at the time) there wasn't a Mac version. After someone linked to the tweet on the forums, porting to OSX became one of Squad's top priorities! :D

Um, I thought the whole idea of the NASA (and KSP) mission is to land on an asteroid. You're basically saying that isn't possible or even if you did manage to actually do it, the ship would just be sitting there gingerly and even the slightest movement would send it drifting away from the asteroid, making an EVA entirely not possible. So if that is the case, why would they want to land on an asteroid?

Those words you are using... I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

joking aside...

It means you can't walk on it. It doesn't mean you can't float next to it. I doesn't mean you can't anchor hand holds into it. There are all sorts of things to do to a big rock floating in space that don't involve walking on it.

I don't think so. You will probally find them through the tracking station

Thought I read somewhere that we'd have to "discover" them. Except for the 'global killer' I'm assuming.

As if landing on planets isn't already hard enough,

you want me to essentially rendezvous with a rock the size of my ship?!

Seriously, if anything, a video of me trying to rendezvous with it would be a michael bay film.

Nothing but explosions and slow drama.

I want giant mirrors to focus on the rock to push it.

(Or preferably, melt it to taffy consistency and inject water to make a nice bubble habitat.) Can't see that happening till around version 10 though...

Preferably some drilling equipment and pitons to attach to it as well.

I shall make it my mission to land an asteroid on top of Vallhenge. Then I'll hook my hooks (damn, that sounds awesome) onto the asteroid, splash down on Laythe (powered splashdown :cool:), make a base around it, disassemble the base, bring all pieces home, and then do a powered landing with the asteroid on top of the VAB.

Or not.

I shall make it my mission to land an asteroid on top of Vallhenge. Then I'll hook my hooks (damn, that sounds awesome) onto the asteroid, splash down on Laythe (powered splashdown :cool:), make a base around it, disassemble the base, bring all pieces home, and then do a powered landing with the asteroid on top of the VAB.

I want to get an asteroid going at some ridiculous speed due to several gravity assists and then smash it into a planet to see how bit a crater it will make :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.