NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission Pack/0.23.5 Images: now with 100% more SLS

Mach_XXII

This is the best image of the asteroids I've seen so far. Pulled from an article on geek.com

http://imgry.pressly.com/52960de5646f6d79ba000000//fetch?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geek.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2Fkerbal-head-590x330.jpg&op=contain&size=984x

Looks like we are going to get parts large enough to "fly" the asteroids.

Lol! That's one of the old FASA asteroids. :P

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/33713-Asteroids-2-4-(2-1-14)

It's not like they have any other images from 0.24 to use for their article... Is it really too much to ask for Squad to throw out one or two screenshots of the new stuff (as they did for the labs in 0.23)?

Everything floats in KSP at present. I imagine if they ever fix the ocean behaviour, then the asteroids will sink.

To be honest, capsules don't float enough (I've had capsules with just the docking adapter above water). Either they should make them float more or include a floatation collar we can inflate after landing.

I'm wondering if asteroid mining and dropping foamed metal lifting body shapes will ever take off (or land to be more precise). Basically they mine the asteroid, melt the metal and bubble gas through it making it lightweight so that when it lands it will float in the sea. Shaped into a lifting body and a heat shield made of ablative rock and you could get the metal down to earth with no fuss.

I'm just going to use hyperedit and place Kerbin in the asteroid belt to see what happens

Kerbin's already in the Asteroid belt. The Asteroid Redirect Mission is based on NEO asteroids, a collection of "small" rocks lingering around Earth's Orbit. I do hope there's a main asteroid belt, that'd be cool.

It's not like they have any other images from 0.24 to use for their article... Is it really too much to ask for Squad to throw out one or two screenshots of the new stuff (as they did for the labs in 0.23)?

I have the strong feeling, that the information politics changed a little towards "keep it secret" since there is the new project manager. Just a personal bias. ;)

They are intentionally this small in order to keep down the dV requirements to move them. Remember, we're talking about a solid three-dimensional and almost spherical object made of rock and heavy ores here... I can almost guarantee you that you're underestimating its sheer mass by an order of magnitude or two. It's no coincidence that we're getting giant new rocket parts along with it.

Yes indeed.

Kerbin's already in the Asteroid belt. The Asteroid Redirect Mission is based on NEO asteroids, a collection of "small" rocks lingering around Earth's Orbit. I do hope there's a main asteroid belt, that'd be cool.

Someone was saying that Dres is considered to be an analogue to Ceres, and that Kerbol's asteroid belt, when it's implemented, will share its orbit.

And they used another image of ksp... a very old version of ksp with the old parts. xD

Oh, but you should notice how ugly the painting on our walls look like instead.

If this is gonna be a core game feature, why it's being advertised like it is a DLC?

Because it is a DLC, not a core feature. Whoever told you otherwise either had info that hasn't been publicly released, or (more likely) didn't know what they were talking about :P

As far as we've been told, the NASA Asteroid Retrieval Mission pack is a free official addon, similar to a mod but made by Squad, not the community. It will be a separate download and not distributed with the main game.

However, some things that only exist because of said mission, such as the SLS-inspired rocket parts, are said to be included in the base game.

All of this should be taken with a grain of salt because even if this was a fully official statement from a few weeks ago, things can change during active development and what it ultimately turns out to be, we'll know for sure no sooner than the day it is released.

Because it is a DLC, not a core feature. Whoever told you otherwise either had info that hasn't been publicly released, or (more likely) didn't know what they were talking about :P

That will make it the first ALPHA that already has DLC.

Are we ever going to see anything else from SXSW? They do realize most of their fan base wasn't able to attend?

C7 is drafting up a recap of his experiences down there. There will be some photos made available, though I'm not clear at this time if they will be specifically from the panel. If you're looking for a peek at ARM, though. We've got something planned that should hopefully go out in the next day or two. Stay tuned.

EDIT: Just got the draft. Well two, actually. One for each major event. I'm waiting to see if something we're talking about today will happen or not. If it doesn't, you'll see one of the drafts today, followed by the other soon after. If it does, well, something tells me you won't mind it being delayed by another day if all plans pan out.

EDIT 2: Welp - plans didn't pan out, so enjoy Chad's recaps today and tomorrow. We will, however, have something more in the next few days. Hopefully by the start of next week at the latest.

EDIT 3: Chad's next recap moved to early next week. I've got something else of relative interest for tomorrow.

Edited by Rowsdower
A word.

C7 is drafting up a recap of his experiences down there. There will be some photos made available, though I'm not clear at this time if they will be specifically from the panel. If you're looking for a peek at ARM, though. We've got something planned that should hopefully go out in the next day or two. Stay tuned.

EDIT: Just got the draft. Well two, actually. One for each major event. I'm waiting to see if something we're talking about today will happen or not. If it doesn't, you'll see one of the drafts today, followed by the other soon after. If it does, well, something tells me you won't mind it being delayed by another day if all plans pan out.

hhmmmmm. Well you have my interest, that's for sure!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.