I'm having a creativity crisis

horndgmium

So recently, I've been on a kick of making SSTO VTOL capable planes. I've made 5-6 different models now, both mod and stock, and now I don't know what to do. I've gotten bored of rockets for the most part except to deliver station parts (like fuel and supplies) or REALLY deep space landers/other stuff.

I now come here to ask of you all, what should I build in KSP today? It seems my creativity has peaked. Mod or stock it doesn't matter!

Conduct evil experiments on Kerbals. Build catapults, engine-exhaust Kerbal flingers. Build a rally car and see how fast you can follow the roads around KSC's R&D facilities. Build a VTOL and do the same thing. Build a rocket whose sole purpose is to write your name in the sky with smoke trails.

If you need a break, I can suggest Rust, Project Zomboid, Borderlands 2 and Eve Online. Eve's a total time sink, so if you have a GF, don't start :huh:

Eve can be a time sink if you let it. It is also one of the only games I know that rewards you for Not playing it. Just some advice: mining might sound like a good idea at first, but don't be fooled, there are much easier and effective ways of making a living.

After playing KSP, I don't know if I can go back to Eve. Too many straight lines in space.

Eve can be a time sink if you let it. It is also one of the only games I know that rewards you for Not playing it. Just some advice: mining might sound like a good idea at first, but don't be fooled, there are much easier and effective ways of making a living.

After playing KSP, I don't know if I can go back to Eve. Too many straight lines in space.

I bought Eve 2mo after it came out, still got my subscription going...but yeah, mining isn't the way to go. I now only log on 2-3 times a months to check on my trades which are paying for my subscription. Trading is the best way to pay for it imo.

Eve and KSP are different other than the scifi theme...and in Eve's case you really need a good group of friends to get the most out of it. You can play KSP alone perfectly fine...

Still, Eve is probably my most favorite game of all time. No other game kept me entertained for so long.

You guys are all the best, I don't even know how to start responding to you all! My KSP community is the best :)

But I have FAR already, I'm thinking about giving interstellar a try, I used to play eve (and sometimes I play borderlands 2) (and hilariously enough I ended up stopping playing eve because I do have a gf).

A break would probably be great because I'm about to push 500 hours on steam... but next on the list of things to do will DEFINITELY be building bigger planes that can go even further.

This game is the best.

Share your ssto secrets with me

For me, the key really was keeping it small and light, with enough wings to hold lift. Then you can just add vtol right under the center of mass. Two turbo jets and two rapiers side by side do the trick as well. Fo sho: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71902-Stock%21-VTOL-SSTO%21

Eeverything is a matter of balance; everything always has a place it wants to be.

As a spaceplane pilot myself, I've been in this crisis before. SSTO after SSTO does get a little old after a while.

The way I solved it? I gave myself a simple sounding challenge: Build an SSTO that can be ground-refueled.

First thing you'll need is a fuel truck. Then a common method to ensure proper docking heights so that you can hook your fuel truck to your plane. Fill it full of gas and take off. Fly your missions, bring it back home, land at the runway, and gas up again.

Once you've mastered that, use an SSTO cargo plane to build a space station / refueling center in the orbit of every planet. I'm still working on that one myself.

currently i'm going nuts with ornithopters, made a simple one, then an ssto version that i flew all the way to duna, now im working on a tricky ssto/mothership/kethane gathering variant.

point is, try something radically different, if you only build the same thing over and over, you will get bored.

Edited by Parallax

You made me think about what I do when I hit an inspirational void in KSP. I play Minecraft.

And when that starts to bore me, I go back to KSP, MC again, KSP...

I haven't played any other games for half a year by now.

Minecraft and KSP cover almost all my gaming needs: Creativity, playful nonsense, adventure, purposeful and determined action.

Chilling threats to life, property and all that has been achieved, challenges to overcome, art to be created, destroyed and reiterated.

The only thing not covered is deep strategy. I might relapse to Civilization for that, or perhaps Prison Architect (I missed quite a few updates by now...). Though not anytime soon. (Settlers II sill lures some part of me)

When Star Citizen comes around AND I bother with picking/building/setting up a new PC I might get into that, but from my current perspective even that unimaginable large universe of possibilities seems bland and devoid of freedom and creativity.

Am I missing out on much? I no longer find enjoyment in supposed triple-A action-adventure games like Uncharted, Battlefield/CoD, Tomb Raider or Bioshock. Games that are supposed to be prime examples of 'good games' with 'choice' and 'multiple endings' (all completely scripted, obviously).

Their story-telling comes to me as uninspired, full of cliches, over-hyped and emotionally 'fake' (I can spell them out in TV-trope pages).

Sports games have been rehashes of the same over and over ad infinitum, haven't bought any of those in years. Reviews have me right to not buy any EA ****.

I hadn't played tLoZ Wind Waker yet (never owned a GameCube), so the HD remake for WiiU was a must-buy for me, Zelda games used to be my favorites. I haven't played more than an hour or 2 before getting bored. I'll probably cancel my Mario Kart and WatchDogs reservations.

Am I wrong in those assesments/judgements? Have I lost it? Am I completely mistaken? Stuck in my private box-world of things I know and can do?

I'm slightly sorry for the wall-of-text and hijacking your thread, but not enough to create my own. I don't want to whine THAT much for attention.

Try picking up a detailed flight simulator like DCS World. You'll probably find it quite easy and enjoyable after wrestling with the controls of un-airworthy craft in KSP. Or, if you want a more sedate experience, Space Engine is a great way to simultaneously learn more about the universe and blow your mind.

You may no longer be satisfied by games that don't reflect reality; I know that KSP has spoiled me in that regard. If I'm not learning or creating anything, I quickly lose interest.

And KSP will probably suck you back in eventually. You'll be daydreaming at some point and spontaneously think of a really good idea for a mission to Moho, or an awesome mothership, etc. There's no such thing as an ex-KSP addict.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.