Supersonic inflatable aerodynamic decelerator (NASA is flight testing these)

A supersonic inflatable aerodynamic decelerator (SIAD) is basically an inflatable donut that can deploy at around Mach 5 to slow down an entry capsule before opening a parachute is possible. NASA is currently developing a 6m (20') version of this for use at Mars, with rocket sled tests already conducted and the first flight test scheduled in June!

For more info, check out NASA article on SIAD.

I find that this would be an interesting design solution to start implementing reentry or at least a control over reentry aerodynamic.

however I don't know how we would place such things on most lander. My landers typically use their own thruster to deorbit themselves, but if the inflatable shield is under the engine I wouldn't be able to fire it. sure it can be fixed with tractor-rocket but KSP don't recognise them well.

• 2 weeks later...
I find that this would be an interesting design solution to start implementing reentry or at least a control over reentry aerodynamic.

however I don't know how we would place such things on most lander. My landers typically use their own thruster to deorbit themselves, but if the inflatable shield is under the engine I wouldn't be able to fire it. sure it can be fixed with tractor-rocket but KSP don't recognise them well.

This type of inflatable heat shield is already in the Deadly Reentry Continued addon. As for heat shield placement (assuming the heat shield is inline), consider having the heat shield on the "top" of the lander, inverting it for reentry, then turning back around for powered landings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.