Shuttle questions

mart

Hi Forum,

I've been playing the career mode quite a while now. And until now didn't saw any shuttle orbiter kind of parts. So I wondered if this was possible.

Found the Tiberdyne mod and thought this would be the only way to get a working shuttle. From what I gather lurking around for a while, the developer is very busy on Nova Punch and basically made correction for it to work with 0.23 and that's it (for now). Also, it was recommended by Kerbal wiki as a shuttle.

So I used it. Got a lot of problems launching it, and equal problems to make it go steady in space. Firing the engines made it pitch all the time. Read this was mainly due the above mentioned problems and I should use the Intrepid. So I did, and it's indeed more stable.

Then got into the problem that, after being docked a while with my space station, it couldn't fire engines anymore and I couldn't get it to de-orbit.

Lurked around once more and read this was because of the power issues. This seems odd, because other rockets (docked with my space station) get power from the space station (or am I mistaken?)

Then read it's possible to transfer power like with fuel. But although I get the "in" and "out" buttons, it didn't transfer power.

Also, it could be that some engine ran out of fuel but I can't seem to find the "tank" that is used for this engine and could not transfer fuel.

Now I am very NOOB-ish when it comes to the math and formulas. Read that you could put solar panels to the cargo bay doors to give it more power (also the generator is running....).

But putting those tiles to the cargo bay doors leave them "floating" in the air when you close the cargo bay doors. They don't interact with the doors.

My conclusion therefor is (from my noob point of view perhaps) this is not 'fit' for your everyday player yet.

My only use for the shuttle would be to use it like the real life situation would be, build my station faster and use the cargo bay for hauling up tanks and satellites.

Now I've spend about an hour trying to make the coupler work that is supplied to firmly attach cargo. It just works ... well, not good. Finally with some adjusting (adding a fuel tank first, and then my load) worked.

Only to see it explode in space when I found out the gear was down (default) at launch. Getting the gear in causes the wheels to "appear" in the cargo bay, and exploding my cargo.

So ...

Finally... I kindly ask .. Do any of you use 'KSP native' parts (I like to play vanilla) to create a useable shuttle craft. On that has a cargo bay that is. For the soul purpose of bringing tanks and parts to the space station.

Maybe a craft file I can look at ?

Kind regards,

Martin.

Also I think you should check out the kerbin shuttle orbiter as well (aka. Kerbin mini shuttle) it's new it works and it's lots of fun and is continually being updated with new features.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68429-0-23-Kerbin-Shuttle-Orbiter-System-v1-13-aka-Kerbin-Mini-Shuttle

This, I only wish it was bigger.

Using Tiberdynes mod as a shuttle base is pretty good, but the way the engines flail around really annoys the hell out of me... the problem with all shuttles in ksp is the balancing issues and without engines that accommodate for the change in direction of thrust makes shuttles REALLY hard, or so I thought...

once upon a time there was this mod:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29661-TT-s-Mod-Releases-JOYSTICK-VTOL-CONTROL-Pitch-Vector-Engine-2-with-pegasus-engine%21

as far as im aware it still works, these allow you to build proper launch engines that will give youcontrol both during the launch and seperation stages (where the change in direction is important)

for further reference:

Edited by Pleborian

Wow thank you all for replying ! I'm sure to give the mini-shuttle a try !

@fiddlestyx I'm okay with it as long as I don't have to haul up stations parts on the top of the nose of a capsule. Looks silly and flying is ... well.. hard.

@OneEyedShark Yeah well... in this case size does matter.

The key to making a stable shuttle is having the center of thrust point through the center of mass, and that's really all I can say... There's a link in my sig to a shuttle that I made, all stock. It's cargo bay should be able to fit station sized parts.

@RocketPilot573 I was (with the little spare time I have being a working husband and dad and all) trying some of the suggestions made here.

Finally stumbled upon the Bobcat Soviet Pack and fell in love with the Buran shuttle.

I might be looking at this the wrong way... But for me, besides it's great flying a shuttle like that Buran of Bobcat, I would like to use it to bring payload to my station. And so I tried but somewhere around 25kms up the launch combination flipped and twisted and went totally out of control.

I thought this might be due to the heavy load. But that's the point, bring up heavy load ...

So I strapped the Shuttle all the way to the top as RocketPilot573 said, looking at the center of mass. This was kind of partly successful. It now flew easily to 35kms but then went out of control also.

Of course as long as the main tank fuel is filled up it will fly stable enough and onces it get's drained the center of mass changes.

Anyone ever tried something to make, say, a special craft file for one particular flight to have a different configuration so it could bring up heavy loads ?

Edit:

@RocketPilot573 good looking shuttle, once I get more of that you call free time I will sure try !

Edited by mart

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.