I just had a lightbulb go on over my head

I've been playing KSP for quite a long time now, and have been visiting these boards for about as long as i've been playing, but i just had an idea that forced me to join the forum so i could get it out there.

I was watching a Scott Manley video that i usually watch within minutes of its posting, but my internet has been down so i'm a bit behind. In his Intersellar Quest 46, at 17:15 (

), he says there is a very important spacecraft coming back, and he will "send Jebediah Kerman up there to grab it and ideally bring it home" and for some reason, i finished that sentence with "so it can be placed in a museum." I was disappointed to hear him say "if not he will return home with just the scientific information."

I thought there was no way that a spacecraft of such importance and history wouldn't be put in a museum. I remember seeing all kinds of historical craft in air and space museums when i was a kid, and space capsules like those from the Apollo missions were especially striking. I loved being able to see the advancements in technology and purpose. I could see things from the Mercury missions, then Gemini missions, and then the Apollo missions, and then go and see things from the Shuttle age, and fantastic planes like the SR-71 Blackbird.

So here is what i'm thinking. At KSC, there could be another building for a museum. It could have like 10 places for rockets or capsules, and then another area for like 8 space planes, and another section for satellites and rovers or something. Each one could have a plaque like the flags do, with a description you put, and it could list information about that craft that you choose. It could pull that information from the log of the flight (max velocity, distance traveled, max G's, time flown) if you choose to (of course you would then have to have a function to save a flight log) as well as things like cost (when cost comes into play), number of parts, and weight. Also, it could have the missions flag behind it or in front of it or something, or maybe just choose a flag. I think another good feature could be the ability to assign screenshots you took from the mission to that display, and access them with descriptions.

I think the best way to do this would be to be able to go to the VAB, or the SPH, disassemble the rocket to just the capsule, or leave the whole rocket, or whatever you would want on display, save it, and then go into the museum and load your save and assign it into one of the slots.

With career mode coming into life, this would be a great way to catalog your space program through time. You would have things like your first Munar Lander, or your first communications satellite, or your first Duna rover, or your first extra-planetary glider, as well as things you think as historical, like a space craft that underwent a rapid unplanned disassembly, and you still managed to get the crew home safe.

A final feature i think would be necessary would be the ability to walk around and interact with things, as well as there being other Kerbals walking around looking at the displays.

So what do you think? Is my idea possible? Is it a good idea, or an idea other people would like to see? I'm not saying it's something that would come out right away, but maybe in the future? What do you think?

Now, not only would it be cool if it could be implemented, but also if it could be a small source of income, dependent on the vehicle's history (first to space, moon, planet, science gathered, mission time, etc).

Well, you can already make a museum if you're creative enough. :wink:

tq5rVPG.png

l7vnl8J.png

2e9yqXo.png

I used Hyperedit to move them to the island, and then used a rover structure to drop them on their spots. Most of them are empty versions of the real ones or replicas with unnecesary parts removed (RTGs, lights, Mechjeb, batteries). It was quite a fun project, until my little sister accidentally deleted my save. ;.;

Also you could have the option of having the Kerbals reaction on a picture beside it.

Or hook it into the screenshot saving mechanism. Allow you to "picture frame" a screenshot and put it in the "museum" as a mission photo.

although it is not on the already suggested list, it has been suggested multiple times. I for one do not care much for the idea either way.

*Sigh* And I do not care for Barycenters. Hence we both get nothing and end up hating each other.

Generally speaking, all he is asking is that 10 vehicles can be place in the persistent.sfs, with the location being somewhere on Kerbin. Very much like Hyperedit. Technically he could choose if he wants the original, or the recovered capsule, or a mock of one of the stages... which again is just moving it to someplace on Kerbin. This is a very simple idea that allows people to relive their greatest moments; so I see no reason for the hate you're putting forth.

*I mean, yes... it does expand a little from there; but this isn't difficult.

I would like to see a few features added with this as well::

Popularity.

When you do more missions without failure kerbals will start to notice you.

Museum entrance fee.

When money is added into the game, you should be able to get an adjustable amount of money from kerbals entering the museum. (Note that you have to buy the museum first and the income is linked to your popularity.)

I've been playing KSP for quite a long time now, and have been visiting these boards for about as long as i've been playing, but i just had an idea that forced me to join the forum so i could get it out there.

I was watching a Scott Manley video that i usually watch within minutes of its posting, but my internet has been down so i'm a bit behind. In his Intersellar Quest 46, at 17:15 (

), he says there is a very important spacecraft coming back, and he will "send Jebediah Kerman up there to grab it and ideally bring it home" and for some reason, i finished that sentence with "so it can be placed in a museum." I was disappointed to hear him say "if not he will return home with just the scientific information."

I thought there was no way that a spacecraft of such importance and history wouldn't be put in a museum. I remember seeing all kinds of historical craft in air and space museums when i was a kid, and space capsules like those from the Apollo missions were especially striking. I loved being able to see the advancements in technology and purpose. I could see things from the Mercury missions, then Gemini missions, and then the Apollo missions, and then go and see things from the Shuttle age, and fantastic planes like the SR-71 Blackbird.

So here is what i'm thinking. At KSC, there could be another building for a museum. It could have like 10 places for rockets or capsules, and then another area for like 8 space planes, and another section for satellites and rovers or something. Each one could have a plaque like the flags do, with a description you put, and it could list information about that craft that you choose. It could pull that information from the log of the flight (max velocity, distance traveled, max G's, time flown) if you choose to (of course you would then have to have a function to save a flight log) as well as things like cost (when cost comes into play), number of parts, and weight. Also, it could have the missions flag behind it or in front of it or something, or maybe just choose a flag. I think another good feature could be the ability to assign screenshots you took from the mission to that display, and access them with descriptions.

I think the best way to do this would be to be able to go to the VAB, or the SPH, disassemble the rocket to just the capsule, or leave the whole rocket, or whatever you would want on display, save it, and then go into the museum and load your save and assign it into one of the slots.

With career mode coming into life, this would be a great way to catalog your space program through time. You would have things like your first Munar Lander, or your first communications satellite, or your first Duna rover, or your first extra-planetary glider, as well as things you think as historical, like a space craft that underwent a rapid unplanned disassembly, and you still managed to get the crew home safe.

A final feature i think would be necessary would be the ability to walk around and interact with things, as well as there being other Kerbals walking around looking at the displays.

So what do you think? Is my idea possible? Is it a good idea, or an idea other people would like to see? I'm not saying it's something that would come out right away, but maybe in the future? What do you think?

This definitely gets a +1 from me

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.