Automatic Engine Fairings, way to turn off

So, you're making an Apollo style launcher. The top of the LM has a docking port which attaches to the bottom of the CSM engine. Problem is that engine has a automatically generate fairing which sticks to the docking port when you undock.

Is there any way to avoid this as things stand now (without using a decoupler).

Secondly, and I guess this really belongs in Suggestions. Could we have the engine faring as a tweakable, so you can decide if you want it or not.

I've noticed I get "Jettison" as something on an engine I can set an action group to. I think it's supposed to release the fairing, but I've never seen it do anything. Maybe I don't have the right ship set up though.

once i stage, the prior stage falls either directly below me <if vertical or mid gravity turn> or directly to my rear <doing orbital operations for circularizing and so forth>. never have had any issues with it, besides, once the decoupler fires that fairing is like the boulders from terrain scatter, 100% visual only. at least in my experience. as for things like proc fairings, those either stay with the fairing base <non ejecting> or pitch away as they eject.

Try putting multiple nuke engines next to each other. If you don't very carefully rotate them to the correct angles, when the fairing blow off, they knock the engines off. Definitely not 100% visual.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.