.24 update,NASA pack, content and my questions

I've been very excited about the new update(s) that will be coming soon to KSP. But i can't help but wonder what is suppose to come first. For those who don't know, the Dev's plan to release the next update in at least 2 parts, due to the sheer size of the NASA mission pack and other base additions, such as contracts, part connection changes and changed tutorials. (1)

Harv mentioned the next update as the ARM update, probably referring to the new grapple that will be used to move asteroids which somewhat confuses me, as i would think the asteroid redirect parts would stay with the NASA pack, or will the grapple (or arm?) be part of the "stock" game and thus come first with the other changes, BEFORE the NASA pack gets released.

I also am curious about how much do we get without the NASA pack, will we still have the grapple, will we still have asteroids, will we get asteroids in the sandbox mode and will we still have the speculated larger parts?(as the NASA SLS is confirmed to be a new part size(1))

Also is the grapple a robotic arm, or something of the like, or did i just get the ARM idea totally wrong?(2)

Finally, will the observatory finally get some use (its modeled in the Science Facility) with .24 update, that is only if asteroids are also implemented or will the observatory be part of the NASA pack or not part of either update and still planned for the future?

Hope to find some answers before KSP .24 goes live!

See yall in orbit!

-MKI

references

(1)http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68894-Newest-Squadcast-Highlights-lots-of-new-info-about-24

(2)http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/79311516702/devnote-tuesdays-the-forward-progress-edition

With GDC upcoming, i guess it wont be long until .24 is released. At least we will see some of the new features in greater detail i bet. And by the way, it wont help knowing it now, because regardless... You will get whats given to you, nothing more, nothing less.

As far as I know ARM refers to "Asteroid Redirect Mission", from the NASA pack. The squadcast highlights seems to indicate more generic parts, like the larger rocket pieces, will be stock from 0.24, so it seems likely the more specialized pieces (like the grapple), will be only in the NASA pack. As for the asteroids, can't say...

I am very curious what direction the art is going to take with the addition of semi realistic NASA parts. I feel KSP has been steadily moving towards a little more realism/clean designs and that is exactly what I would like to see. Every time I see realistic type modparts next to stock big tanks or engines, I cannot help but feel the latter look a little crude and out of place.

From what ive seen, the NASA pack is gonna be like 23.5 and then .24 will come out. I think they are intentionally being vague to build suspense and avoid the mass hysteria last time they gave specifics about details and release date.

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1zwqa0/official_asteroid_photo_from_sxsw/cfxyu90

Based on the conversation I had with Chad at SXSW, it sounds like the astroid pack will come before .24. "23.5" is how he described it. I have no idea when they come out beyond those details. And those details might change.
Think more along the lines of ScallopPotato's post above, with details to be announced very, very soon.
Edited by JimmyAgent007

I am very curious what direction the art is going to take with the addition of semi realistic NASA parts. I feel KSP has been steadily moving towards a little more realism/clean designs and that is exactly what I would like to see. Every time I see realistic type modparts next to stock big tanks or engines, I cannot help but feel the latter look a little crude and out of place.

I hope this is the case! I'd love to see parts built to a common design so that they look good together. Kerbal doesn't have to mean junkyard and I feel the gaffer tape and superglue approach cheapens the achievements of getting into space.

I hope this is the case! I'd love to see parts built to a common design so that they look good together. Kerbal doesn't have to mean junkyard and I feel the gaffer tape and superglue approach cheapens the achievements of getting into space.

I second this, but there is time for, when gameplay has been fully established. But I am also really curious, what .24 and ARM will deliver visually.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.