High performance tri-jet fighter [Stock][22.x][2?.X]

Guest Space Cowboy

Very nice.. I will give it a go.

*edit*

wowee... it is so fast and maneuverable...

This would be a nice design to turn into an SSTO, the only thing I don't like about it is the large cube's that the landing gear are attached too.. but other than that.. it is really fast and nice to fly.

*editedit*

I've found when the first tanks drain it becomes tail heavy making it want to pull up, landing like this makes the craft fall on it's rear when stopped.

If you can figure out how to make both rear and front drain at the same time you will have a balanced craft as it drains fuel.

Edited by KissSh0t

Guest Space Cowboy

Ok I finally figured it out - when the tanks are empty, the engines are overwhelmingly heavy and no amount of fuel balancing can correct it. I embedded several large I beams aft of the cockpit and now the vehicle is almost perfectly balanced wet to dry. I did tweak the flight controls and removed an embedded rear wing. Fuel lines have been added and normal engine fuel flow blocked, to totally controil the fuel burn from the outside tanks to the center. The landing gear and side engine fairing aesthetics have been changed.The vehicle can be flown easily without SAS full to empty. The spaceport entry has been updated to v1.1

The top engine is on group 1, and the bottom engines group 2. The top engine has been canted so it's thrust line passes thru the COM.

Lesson learned: no matter how good it looks, having engines way in the back is setting yourself up for trouble empty, no matter what.

Once again shout out to KissSh0t thanks for the input I learned something.

Spaceport

Edited by Space Cowboy

Lol you're bump..

You could try something like splitting the front two Mk2 fuselage pieces from the rear two, and having 4 Turbojets instead of three, but having fuel from the front two Mk2 fuselage feed two turbojets, and the rear two Mk2 feeding the other two turbojets.

This way front and back is draining evenly.. Well... One side will have a little more fuel than the other due to the Mk2 Size Adapter.

I quickly made this to show you how to split fuel, Also how to do internal fuel lines : D

Craft file for you to see what I did > http://www./download/11utnwbvsxbtl14/Split_Fuel_Demo.rar

tumblr_n2cseeVV621r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2cseeVV621r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2cseeVV621r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2cseeVV621r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2cseeVV621r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2cseeVV621r2k180o6_1280.jpg

Edited by KissSh0t

Guest Space Cowboy

v 1.1 flies well sans SAS. I guess I should redo the video. I like the internal fuel lines never thought of that!

Right now I am switching back to the mothership. Big new items are a trijet configuration, and easily place-able center engine in the up down regime, and a high t-tail. It looks good I made a prototype earlier today.

screenshot814_zps435e1727.png

Edited by Space Cowboy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.